Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please pardon any spelling/grammar errors or difficult to understand parts, or longwindedness. I'm mobile and in the middle of an anxiety attack, and I just need your help.
I truly believe not vaxing is the healthiest route to take. I feel very strongly about not vaxing, but I don't have much knowledge to feel entirely confident. I'm panicking, because my son's 9 month well-baby is coming up and vaxing is going to come up because I refused the 6 month shots and said I wanted to hold off. Pedi and I talked a little. He's not going to kick us out if we don't but "would prefer his kids vaxed." He doesn't seem to know very much about vaccines, which freaked me out even more than him not knowing much about not vaxing. He "doesn't check titers" and seemed to not really know about checking them, and he "doesn't think he can order the vaccines separately" if I wanted them separate. He gave me his "top 3" vaxes to get, one of which was the mmr because it can kill kids- and recently a distant family member who doesn't vax told me the cdc website lists autism as a known side effect of the mmr. I haven't checked that yet for myself though. I remember learning in biology about the body's immune system and vaccines, and how getting a shot messes with immune system because it bypasses primary and secondary responses. At the time I found it weird but brushed it off because I then learned about herd immunity. I am so terrified of making this decision. I'm so not comfortable with vaccines (and I myself got every vax except chicken pox). But I am so afraid of my son being the one to catch some outdated illness and dying/being seriously maimed because I chose not to get him vaxed. Plus, I'm afraid of being pushed to vax because I don't argue my point well enough or have enough "good reasons." I'm not afraid to argue bf or erf, because I know those are best. But I'm at a complete loss when it comes to this. I feel in my heart I shouldn't get him vaxed (anymore than he has been) but I need more than just a feeling backed up by small arguments. I need to KNOW I'm making the right choice either way. And I need help because I'm panicking and having an anxiety attack and all I know is I'm going to be told to do my research but I don't know how or where to look... Help me. Someone. Anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Replies (11-19):
Mschrissy007
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Your so right Emmy ! What I did was I changed doctors ( still in the same office but different pedi) In February my 11yr old has tetanus shot coming up and I'm trying not to get to stressed about it! The nurse stated "IF HE DOESN'T GET IT HE WON'T BE ALLOWED IN SCHOOL"!! My husband is against vaccinating as well and when we sat down and researched how a person can get it, it doesn't make any point to get one and most importantly the ingredients are horrifying.
Just how do we go upon this now? Do I request a religious EXCRMPTION now?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Yes, you can get a religious exemption now...your religious beliefs can change at any time, and no one can question you about it.  AFter you file an exemption, the school should no longer be sending 'reminders' about vaxes needed for school. 

Quoting Mschrissy007:

Your so right Emmy ! What I did was I changed doctors ( still in the same office but different pedi) In February my 11yr old has tetanus shot coming up and I'm trying not to get to stressed about it! The nurse stated "IF HE DOESN'T GET IT HE WON'T BE ALLOWED IN SCHOOL"!! My husband is against vaccinating as well and when we sat down and researched how a person can get it, it doesn't make any point to get one and most importantly the ingredients are horrifying.

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Yes, your religion can change at any time, but be prepared to get A LOT of push-back from the "health" department. I would line all my ducks up now, to be prepared for when the shot is due. Do research on your state laws, and be able to quote them by heart.

Quoting emmy526:

Yes, you can get a religious exemption now...your religious beliefs can change at any time, and no one can question you about it.  AFter you file an exemption, the school should no longer be sending 'reminders' about vaxes needed for school. 

Quoting Mschrissy007:

emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

it really depends what state you're in...here in CT, no questions asked, EVER...nor in CO...I would imagine Ca is the same...they cannot question you about your beliefs, it's against the Constitution. 

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Yes, your religion can change at any time, but be prepared to get A LOT of push-back from the "health" department. I would line all my ducks up now, to be prepared for when the shot is due. Do research on your state laws, and be able to quote them by heart.

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Mschrissy007:

emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM

and if you're given any flack, simply say you've researched the vaccine and ingredients on the CDC website, and they are not in accordance with God's law, as you see it, and leave it at that...if she further tries to question, simply say it's not up for discussion. 

Quoting Mschrissy007:

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM
They might not be able to question your religion (though many do anyway), but they can try to bully you into getting the vax done.

My sister didn't get her son vaccinated at all until he was 4 and he got a puncture wound. They convinced her he would die of tetanus unless he got the shot.

When it was time for him to attend school, they told her he wouldn't be allowed to attend until he got ALL his vaccinations caught up. They "do not allow selective vaccination", it's all or nothing.

Eventually they "compromised" and "allowed" him to catch up bit-by-bit. Which meant the poor kid got a shot approximately every 4 weeks all year long.

Oh so surprisingly, he now has multiple allergies, including peanut.

Quoting emmy526:

it really depends what state you're in...here in CT, no questions asked, EVER...nor in CO...I would imagine Ca is the same...they cannot question you about your beliefs, it's against the Constitution. 

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Mschrissy007:

emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM

maybe your sister should have stood her ground, which is allowed by law, and put her foot down to all the harassing she received.  If she had stood her ground the first time with the puncture wound,  it most likely woulnd't have been an issue at the school.  Being informed of laws is pertinent when dealing with er's, schools and bullying. 

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

They might not be able to question your religion (though many do anyway), but they can try to bully you into getting the vax done.

My sister didn't get her son vaccinated at all until he was 4 and he got a puncture wound. They convinced her he would die of tetanus unless he got the shot.

When it was time for him to attend school, they told her he wouldn't be allowed to attend until he got ALL his vaccinations caught up. They "do not allow selective vaccination", it's all or nothing.

Eventually they "compromised" and "allowed" him to catch up bit-by-bit. Which meant the poor kid got a shot approximately every 4 weeks all year long.

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Mschrissy007:

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
It's easy for us to say this, but my sister was in a tough spot.
She's a single mother and she and her two children live with our parents. At the time she got the notice, just a week before school started, our mother was disabled and scheduled for back surgery. Our father was working despite being partially disabled himself. My sister had recently begun working after being out of work for a year.
She had no one to watch her son if they kept him out until the mess was straightened out.
DN has ADHD, and really needed to be evaluated and get help that is offered through the school system.
I am unable to help, having my hands full with homeschooling our children.
She felt she was over the barrel.
As far as the tetanus vaccination goes, well, she was uninformed and scared.

Quoting emmy526:

maybe your sister should have stood her ground, which is allowed by law, and put her foot down to all the harassing she received.  If she had stood her ground the first time with the puncture wound,  it most likely woulnd't have been an issue at the school.  Being informed of laws is pertinent when dealing with er's, schools and bullying. 

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Mschrissy007:

Mschrissy007
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM
It's scary to go thru all this! I live in the bronx and from my research ny is not easy, I also intend to homeschool my children come September so I have been researching pretty much everything. I pray they don't give me a hard time especially that my son is in the 6th grade and I don't want him missing any school because of this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)