Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pedi works for the school...Should I not even consider them?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 137 Total Views

So I am searching for a new doctor for DD because we are moving. Well, that I really don't like the one that we have. While researching local docs I came across a practice that I was interested in calling. However, when reading the doc bios, I saw that one of them is the doctor for the local school district.  That was a huge red flag for me. DD is just about 9 months old and I do not plan to eventually send her to school in that district. I also know that doctors are required by law to maintain confidentiality. Yet, I am very hesitant. I will be using a religious exemption when she starts school because my state does not offer a philosophical option. I guess my question is whether I should even call the office. My fear is that an open and honest discussion with these doctors would somehow hurt me down the line when I try to enroll her in school. It's also likely that this practice would not be very friendly to non-vax families since one of them works for the establishment. I'm tired to searching for a doctor and just want to find one I like and stick with them.

Oh, and while I'm asking you ladies for advice - what types of questions should I ask the nurse when I call doctor's offices for info. I don't think my insurance will let me try them all out. I'm checking out peds and family practices.

Thanks!

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I think I would call the office and ask if they are friendly to not vaccinating. I would do that for every doctor I was considering. I would be very clear that I do not plan to vaccinate my child, so I need complete honesty about their stance on vaccination. Some offices have doctors that are okay with not vaccinating while also having doctors in the same practice that are hostile towards it. You need to ask if ALL doctors are or you may end up with a sick visit fighting a doctor you don't normally see. That will save you a visit to the office since you only have limited chances to test the waters. If you are more interested in natural treatment for health, ask about that. For instance, do the doctors often prescribe antibiotics, steroids, etc.? You'll probably get the answer "when necessary." That's not the answer you want. I would prefer to hear that they treat naturally as often as possible. See if you can find some local boards where people have reviewed particular doctors. Google the doctor's name and see what comes up. Hope that helps.

themissheather
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
That's great. Thank you. I have been feeling like picking a doctor off the insurance provider directory is a shot in the dark. I appreciate the specific advice.

Quoting Ichthus:

I think I would call the office and ask if they are friendly to not vaccinating. I would do that for every doctor I was considering. I would be very clear that I do not plan to vaccinate my child, so I need complete honesty about their stance on vaccination. Some offices have doctors that are okay with not vaccinating while also having doctors in the same practice that are hostile towards it. You need to ask if ALL doctors are or you may end up with a sick visit fighting a doctor you don't normally see. That will save you a visit to the office since you only have limited chances to test the waters. If you are more interested in natural treatment for health, ask about that. For instance, do the doctors often prescribe antibiotics, steroids, etc.? You'll probably get the answer "when necessary." That's not the answer you want. I would prefer to hear that they treat naturally as often as possible. See if you can find some local boards where people have reviewed particular doctors. Google the doctor's name and see what comes up. Hope that helps.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN