Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccines and pets?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 105 Total Views
So,"... non of my children are vaccinated." This has become my "big argument" at the vets office. I had to vax my 6 mth old indoor kitten for rabies against my will so I can have her spayed, yesterday. Completely unnessisary. What does everybody else do?

The vet thing is the next big step for me. I also have not been able to get ANY info on dog and cat illnesses that is not a pamphlet for vaccinating. My own vet doesn't have info on the illnesses she wants to vax against?? That in its self is a red flag.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:27 AM

One of my cats was a rescue, and already vaxed when we got her..our other we found in the street, no vaccines or anything yet, and we've had her three years now....our third was a challenge when she went into heat literally ALL the time, so i had to relent, have the  cat get a rabies vaccine, like you, in order to get spayed.   After all that was done and over, within a couple days, her eyes changed color, from an emerald green to yellow...and she was a completely different cat.   She was totally UNtolerable before, and turned into the most loving cat i've had, and smart as a dog...she fetches toys like a dog too!  Although i didn't really want to do any of that to her, i had to for her own good, and OUR own peace of mind....when she was in heat, she was meowing and peeing  ALL OVER the house ,20hrs a day, and it was constant, and she was mean and nasty too.   I reallly couldn't have a cat destroying the household, and i couldn't get rid of her either.  

JoyXtwo
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Yes. Our little female has already been in heat twice. Every three weeks for 3 days. The vet went into risk vs. benefit factor. I said the risks of the shot out weighed the benefits of a spay and that was the only reason I was agreeing to it.
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Oh yes I keep fighting them too. I did the rabies because I do day care. One month before I even wanted to do it.

I got a pamphlet as well. She said do your research. Here is piece of paper with useless writing on it, lol.

I even had the secretary talk to me about it ina full waiting room. I don't know what to do.

How are you telling them? For right now I just said I want to research it. I saw it was made by the same manufacturer as humans. Not good. The vet said that diseases in cats has gone down since vaccines and since so many are vaccinated.

What I wantto know is treatment going to be different for a cat that gets it from the vaccines as naturally? I doubt it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)