Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm afraid....

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 391 Total Views

I don't want to put my 10 month old in the nursery at church. It's getting really difficult to keep her quiet during  church and I know we should probably put her in the nursery, but I'm freaking out about it. Aside from the fact that she has stranger anxiety and I would feel so mean leaving her with strangers... I just keep thinking, I'm going to leave her with all these other babies who are getting vaccinated and there's going to be a baby who just got the rotavirus vaccine, he'll put something in his mouth, then my DD will put it in her mouth and boom, she has rotavirus. And then there's the fact that we all know it's the vaccinated who are spreading pertussis... Am I just being paranoid??? Or is this a legitimate fear I have? Idk what to do...

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

During this time of year, it IS a legitimate concern....during the height of illness and flu season, which seems to be now all over the US, i'd even go so far as to stay home, to avoid bringing the germs home to incubate.   

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know.  I know other non-vaxing moms worry about those things, but I never have.  I won't knowingly put my children in with someone who is very sick, but I assume they are around disease/viruses anytime we are out in public.  I have never been overly careful.

That being said, if your daughter gets anxious with being left, don't do it.  She will out grow it in time!  I had one who I had to quit leaving in the nursery.  He was distraught the entire time.  I once attended a church where they never came and got me, and I found out from other moms that my son would be crying the whole time (off and on).  I don't want church/nursery to be stressful for them.  I take them with me to church and just sit near the back where I can step out for a few minutes if I need to.  Or I have also stayed in the nursery for a few weeks to see if that helps my child get comfortable.  

It has been difficult at times since I have five little ones and I can't rely on my older ones (7, 5, 4 now) to sit quietly on their own.  My husband is the pastor so isn't sitting in the pew with them.  :)

mjrex87
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Yea, I considered not even going this morning! Thank you for letting me know I'm not crazy, lol!

Quoting emmy526:

During this time of year, it IS a legitimate concern....during the height of illness and flu season, which seems to be now all over the US, i'd even go so far as to stay home, to avoid bringing the germs home to incubate.   

emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM

no, you're NOT crazy!!  i too, avoid crowds, and even now, go to the store early in the morning before a lot of people are there, germiating up the place.  Did the same thing when my kids were young, too...there were weeks we didnt' go see grandparents just to keep germs at bay, and to keep us and them from getting ill

Quoting mjrex87:

Yea, I considered not even going this morning! Thank you for letting me know I'm not crazy, lol!

Quoting emmy526:

EDITED

emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

edited to clarify:  NOT crazy to avoid crowds...when i posted before with my response,  i thought i had written that, and then i looked just now, and realized that was not what i wrote at all.  

Quoting emmy526:

no, you're NOT crazy!!  i too, avoid crowds, and even now, go to the store early in the morning before a lot of people are there, germiating up the place.  Did the same thing when my kids were young, too...there were weeks we didnt' go see grandparents just to keep germs at bay, and to keep us and them from getting ill

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting emmy526:

jlc91
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Dr. Sears (in The Vaccine Book) says to avoid daycares, church nurseries, etc until LO is 2 years old, if possible.  I didn't put DS in nurseries until he was about 18 months old and there were only 2-3 other kids in the nursery at the same time.  If I was you, I'd probably not go during flu season.

crafthag
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM
We keep our children in church with us and never use the nursery. If I need to, I will step out with one and come back when she is calmed down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I took her to service with me until she was too difficult to keep quiet. My husband started staying home with her until she was two. My older two were vaccinated until 18mo.(didn't know any better to be concerned). We always put them in the nursery, and they would cry when we left them all the way until age 4/5. My dd LOVES going to class now (never had a problem with it even the first time), and I often wonder if it's because she was never left when she was younger. If my dh hadn't stayed home, I don't know what I would have done.

Mschrissy007
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
As a MOTHER AND A WIFE OF A PASTOR I CAN TELL YOU THAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO ANYTHING THAT MAKES YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE! Church is a place to worship The Lord with all your heart and soul and if you feel uneasy about leaving your baby you will have a hard time worshiping and listening the word,you should Pray and ask if you should stay home until your baby is alittle older or when you can feel more comfortable :) I personally didn't attend church until my baby was older and I didn't leave them with anyone not even the nursery. Do what makes you and your sweet baby happy and comfortable! Just remember that The Lord knows your heart and wants you to be happy in his presence.

Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. (Isaiah 40:1 KJV)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
reutgirl
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Is there a nursing mother's room that you could sit in?  In our church, they have sound from the service in that room, so you could still listen to the sermon and worship but not have to worry about your daughter being noisy.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)