Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I need to cancel my appointment because I got a flu shot."

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 24 Replies
  • 869 Total Views

So, it's my second week on the job. I do scheduling and other randomness for a permanent makeup artist. I've already had THREE phone calls to cancel appointments because they got sick, VERY sick from receiving a flu shot. The one today even said, "I didn't know you could have a reaction to a flu shot" and I said, "Well, of course, you can die. Some people just can't have them. Let get you in on Wednesday."

I'm shocked that there are individuals out there who don't even know you can have a reaction! Even a small one! This is the first patient I went off at the mouth with. I probably shouldn't give my two cents. But seriously? No one told this woman that she could get a fever? She could get sick? I mean, at the minimum this should be said. I get that they don't go into the siezures, brain damage and death thing, but really? No one told you that you can get sick from a flu shot? WHO THE EFF DID YOU GET IT FROM?!

I want to know two things: 1. How many of you hear that someone got sick from a flu shot and 2. Do you think the high numbers of flu this season are partially, if not mainly, in people who received flu shots?

So on the news today, theres this quack talking about how theres still time to prevent the flu. He's saying stuff like there's no scientific evidence that shows high amounts of vitamin c or any vitamin will prevent flu or shorten it's duration. The only way to prevent it is by using antibacterial soap and getting a flu shot. Then he goes on to say that if you get the flu, or any illness, shortly after receiving the shot, it's not because of the vaccine, it's because you were exposed to the illness before the vaccine became effective. NO ONE CAN GET THE FLU FROM A FLU VACCINE. Then he says it's a shame vaccines are not mandatory for school children because it would prevent the spread of diseases to adults!  I  had to stop watching. That is SO annoying! 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

everyoneo i know who got the shot got sick,  and yes i think its making the outbeak worse

Magnolia7
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM

1. I've heard of many people getting ill after the flu shot.  2. I think the high numbers are due to many factors: they aren't counting confirmed cases of the flu verified by a flu swab, they are counting "flu like illness," so anyone with aches and a fever is being counted as having the flu; many people do get the flu shot and it weakens the immune system leaving the person vulnerable to catching any opportunistic infection; the flu shot doesn't cover most strains of the flu, so even if it worked it wouldn't help the strains it doesn't cover.

mjrex87
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think we would have these epidemics if it weren't for the flu shot. Seriously. They start pushing the vax earlier each year and amazingly, the outbreaks start earlier. Hmm...

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My cousin posted about getting her kids (5 and 1) the flu shot, but goes on to say that she won't get it because her dh who is in the military gets sick every time he gets it. Then one of her kids ends up complaining of a headache and both have diarrhea the day after getting the shot. I couldn't keep my mouth shut, so I messaged her that I would be concerned and reconsider the flu shot next year with those symptoms, particularly the headache. I just don't get why it's okay for her kids to get the shot, but not her.

I've read that most of the hospitalizations from the flu were in patients who had gotten the flu shot. It makes me crazy seeing people talk about it and all the advertisements. And why would you wait until halfway through the flu season and then decide to get it? The logic...

Mincen
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I also hate when people say "I got the shot but still got the flu......but I'm glad because it would have been so much worse if I didn't have the shot."

?!?!? What is wrong with people? How do they know the flu would have been worse if they didn't get the shot? Why don't they realize that the shot failed them, and they got the flu anyway?  They have to tell themselves whatever they can, because they don't want to admit that the flu shot failed them.

I would love it if people would report when they became ill after the flu. Oh, what would those numbers be?? It would prove that the flu shot is a miserable failure.

This is also why they are going to push for that universal flu vaccine. Only when the vaccine is available will they admit that the yearly vaccine was useless. We would have been right all along, but I know the public will just move foraward and ridicule us about something else. 

mjrex87
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Do you happen to have any links about that?

Quoting Ichthus:

My cousin posted about getting her kids (5 and 1) the flu shot, but goes on to say that she won't get it because her dh who is in the military gets sick every time he gets it. Then one of her kids ends up complaining of a headache and both have diarrhea the day after getting the shot. I couldn't keep my mouth shut, so I messaged her that I would be concerned and reconsider the flu shot next year with those symptoms, particularly the headache. I just don't get why it's okay for her kids to get the shot, but not her.

I've read that most of the hospitalizations from the flu were in patients who had gotten the flu shot. It makes me crazy seeing people talk about it and all the advertisements. And why would you wait until halfway through the flu season and then decide to get it? The logic...

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Nobody knows anything about vaccines I've come to realize.
My friend got one for her kids and said "well I figured it can't hurt".
I told her it can kill them and she sounded shocked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I can't remember where I read it. Reading so much from different sources, it all blends together. I shouldn't have made that statement without having sources. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting Ichthus:

mjrex87
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Oh no, that's okay! I definitely believe you, lol. I was just hoping you'd have a link so I could share it.

Quoting Ichthus:

I can't remember where I read it. Reading so much from different sources, it all blends together. I shouldn't have made that statement without having sources. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting Ichthus:

Kristin0728
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM
4 moms liked this

These are also the people who wouldn't think of vaccinating if there were no mandates or doctors pushing them. I had a friend say that and was shocked to find out children even have reactions from vaccines. She also has no idea what each vaccine is for and which ones her kids have gotten. One year, she was too lazy to go get her daughter the shots required for kindergarten, they didn't let her go to school on the first day until I printed out a religious exemption and gave it to my friend lol She uses the exemption now simply because she doesn't have time to go to the ped and get verification! What a way to turn somebody into a non-vaxxer! LOL 

Quoting kitty8199:

Nobody knows anything about vaccines I've come to realize.
My friend got one for her kids and said "well I figured it can't hurt".
I told her it can kill them and she sounded shocked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)