Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling in CA?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 194 Total Views
I'm new to this & this question is so far in advance(my son is only 8 weeks now), but I'm curious. Say laws change or for some reason a school will not accept an exemption form... so I then decide to homeschool my son. What steps do I need to take exactly?
I've been on the homeschooling websites & their instructions on where to begin, but I'm not finding any clear cut answers really. Do I need to pay money for any specific programs in order to homeschool? Do I need any sort of teaching certification beforehand?
Anyone homeschooling their child/children in California that can help me better understand?

Thanks in advance :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Check out http://www.hslda.org/ I hope you can find your answers there.
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I homeschool in ca. we go through a charter homeschool at this point. in ca you just have to file a form saying you are going to homeschool. from there you can use any curriculum or just do it on your own. you do not have to be licensed.
lovejoshthomas
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Thank you both :)
gmapoohz
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have a niece living in central Calif who has been homeschooling through a charter school program for 2 or 3 years now, she is happy with how it's going and plans to continue indefinitely.  She has two daughters, ages 7 and 3, neither has been vaccinated.  I believe she would be happy to share info with you that she has learned re homeschooling.

Gma Poohz

msboerschinger
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM
All I did was filled a paper w the district saying I was home schooling. I didn't graduate got to 12th but stopped I used time4learning I liked it a lot. I also made him read books I picked out and do reports etc
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I think there is a vaccine you can not be exempt frok in ca (am i right), so far we have not vaccinated and were able get an exception. We are enrolled in a charter, bu we djd enroll in a private homeschooling group before tgat.
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM
You can also fill out an alfadivit (?), there should be a website somewhere to fill it out ans it should have the exception forms too (its been a while since i looked).
lovejoshthomas
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Thank you all. I appreciate it :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)