Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Care Workers Targeted for Vaccine Mandates

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 352 Total Views

Child Care Workers Targeted for Vaccine Mandates

Posted: 1/16/2013 9:27:19 PM | with 0 comments

Colorado and Texas are considering vaccine mandates targeting a new professional group: child care workers.

The Colorado Board of Health voted early in 2012 to pass a rule requiring health care facilities to implement mandatory employee vaccination policies with restrictive medical exemptions.[1]  Now there is a push from the Colorado Children’s Immunization Coalition for the Colorado Board of Health to approve “enhanced immunizations for child care center workers.”[2]

NVIC Calls for Dialogue and Transparency

NVIC’s Executive Director Theresa Wrangham recently attended a Town Hall Meeting in Longmont, Colorado, with legislators asking for “dialogue and transparency” when it comes to addressing policies such as this one. There is concern this rule is being drawn up behind closed doors. During meetings held last year with legislators, Theresa expressed concern about the ease with which the legislative process was bypassed and mandates enacted that impact human rights.

The best-case scenario would be for no mandate but Theresa said, “At the very least, the Board of Health should consider not just medical exemptions surrounding vaccine requirements, but religious and conscientious belief exemptions to uphold workers’ rights to exercise informed consent to medical risk-taking.” She added, “As with health care workers, this is a clear disregard of workplace rights and many professions may be the target of future rule changes and mandates.”

“We need to figure this out,” Theresa noted. “Or the erosion of individual rights is going to get much worse before it gets better.” 

Texas Senate Bill Targets Child Care Workers

In Texas during the next few months, legislators will discuss SB64 requiring licensed child care facilities to develop and implement policies surrounding employee vaccination.[3] In 2011, two bills requiring hospitals to develop mandatory vaccination policies for health care workers died in regular session, but an addition to a Medicaid finance bill in special session quickly pushed through the new state requirement for health care workers.  

NVIC’s Director of Advocacy, Dawn Richardson, said “The same Senator is back at it again in the 2013 legislative session, but now she is targeting the jobs of child care workers with SB 64.”[4][5] 

Dawn added that the push against vaccine mandates is about protecting the informed consent rights of Americans. “Vaccine mandates are creeping into the adult markets more and more,” she said. “We have to ask - who’s next and with what vaccines?”

“Are we going to get to the point where you can’t have a job without working under [vaccine] mandates?” she said. “It is one thing to say an employee has to wear safety equipment on the job. There are not many risks with safety equipment. There can, however, be significant risks with vaccines.”

Who Pays When Informed Consent Rights Are Violated?

NVIC has previously called on the Colorado Board of Health and the Texas Legislature to evaluate the bigger issues related to informed consent violations in the workplace. For example: 
- Who pays the bill when a worker is injured as a result of a vaccination?
- Does the vaccine injury claim go through worker’s compensation?
- What about unemployment compensation when workers are fired for refusing vaccination?
Several of these issues have already popped up around the country. At present, proposed rule changes in Colorado for child care workers have not been published, and it is unclear if such rule change proposals will address outstanding questions and their potential impact to taxpayers, or which vaccines are under consideration for mandate.

In Texas, SB54 will be heard in committee soon. There will be opportunities for the public to offer testimony. Users of the NVIC Advocacy Portal get the latest news about new vaccine mandate bills introduced in the states and are put into direct contact with their elected state representatives so they can make their voices heard.
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Well if all children are already required why require the workers?

What is going to happen when they lose a good number of workers.

There are enough people who will refuse to cause a shortage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetangie79
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Some will go into private childcare.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM
The only good thing that could come of this, is more people speaking up about the dangers. If an adult were to have a reaction, he/she will be able to speak up for homself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM

yeah, but don't you think it will still be met with denial from everyone, including the childcare director?  Esp if a life altering reaction occurs...that could be the end of someone's job because of a mandate. 

Quoting micheledo:

The only good thing that could come of this, is more people speaking up about the dangers. If an adult were to have a reaction, he/she will be able to speak up for homself.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Definitely.  I hate seeing these become mandated.  But maybe, just maybe, by it being slowly mandated with different jobs, it will give more time for more people to become aware of that dangers.  :(

Quoting emmy526:

yeah, but don't you think it will still be met with denial from everyone, including the childcare director?  Esp if a life altering reaction occurs...that could be the end of someone's job because of a mandate. 

Quoting micheledo:

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know that people will refuse if their jobs are at stake. Look at the heathcare industry. When a group of 150 employees refused the flu vaccine in Cincinnati, Ohio, they all were fired. It's going to take a very large revolt for these laws to stop. The pharmaceutical industry has way too much power in our government. Every time another group of people give in to this shit, all of us are losing. And they're going to keep finding reasons for different industries to "need" the vaccines. Ugh.

Quoting kitty8199:

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM
But they still refused. They knew they'd lose their jobs

Quoting Ichthus:

I don't know that people will refuse if their jobs are at stake. Look at the heathcare industry. When a group of 150 employees refused the flu vaccine in Cincinnati, Ohio, they all were fired. It's going to take a very large revolt for these laws to stop. The pharmaceutical industry has way too much power in our government. Every time another group of people give in to this shit, all of us are losing. And they're going to keep finding reasons for different industries to "need" the vaccines. Ugh.

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Wonder if OSHA will actually speak up if and when this happens..they already let it be known they are against mandated vaccines for employment. 

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I still think it's going to take A LOT more people to stand up against these proposed laws for it to stop. Also, unless people know their rights, which many still don't, they think they have to do it for employment like parents think they have to vaccinate for their child to be allowed into school. I have a friend who wasn't vaccinated as a child for medical reasons, but when she became an adult went into child care and thought she had to be vaccinated to get a job. She had a wonderfully clean bloodstream and gave it up without realizing she bought into the lies. And she's still not fully convinced of the truth because she still vaccinates her children. It amazes me how people aren't concerned about vaccines when they are given evidence and sources to research. I gave her Dr. Tenpenny's videos, but she never watched them. I've contacted a few friends who are pregnant to suggest they research vaccines, and they don't even respond. I think most people have bought into the lies and aren't convinced that they're being lied to. Sorry for the rant. I just get so frustrated when people won't listen.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Ichthus:

Quoting kitty8199:

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
It's ok. I feel the same. People are sheep. Plain and simple.
It was 2008, I had to do a research paper. I chose vaccines for some reason, going into it thinking the only one I was against was the Mmr.
Wow was I wrong. I had to present it to the class.
They all looked as shocked as me. Hoping some continued to research like me.

Quoting Ichthus:

I still think it's going to take A LOT more people to stand up against these proposed laws for it to stop. Also, unless people know their rights, which many still don't, they think they have to do it for employment like parents think they have to vaccinate for their child to be allowed into school. I have a friend who wasn't vaccinated as a child for medical reasons, but when she became an adult went into child care and thought she had to be vaccinated to get a job. She had a wonderfully clean bloodstream and gave it up without realizing she bought into the lies. And she's still not fully convinced of the truth because she still vaccinates her children. It amazes me how people aren't concerned about vaccines when they are given evidence and sources to research. I gave her Dr. Tenpenny's videos, but she never watched them. I've contacted a few friends who are pregnant to suggest they research vaccines, and they don't even respond. I think most people have bought into the lies and aren't convinced that they're being lied to. Sorry for the rant. I just get so frustrated when people won't listen.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Ichthus:

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)