Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tetnus (sp?) and antibiotixs

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 228 Total Views
So dh got into a mototcycld accidenr last night. He broke is ankle, and it got scratcjed up. We dont vaccinate routinely, and try tp noy take antobiotics. When he went to the er and they wanted to give him a tetnus, antiniotics just incase of an infection. Well i was just liks "ok whatecer uou have to do" and dh wasnt goung to do anyhing. Well, he ended up gettinf the tetnus vaccine since i wa an open wound, and i was gonf to get him antibiotics but he said no. So now im thinking, maybe i was the one (never suspected this would happen), that pressufed him into the tentus shot. I was just so worried about him. What would you do in a situation like thar? Also do you ever take antibiotics just incase or only for a severe infection? I feel so silly for not thinking through things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I can't imagine you would have been in a clear enough state of mind to think things through.
I would not have suggested the tetanus shot, especially for an open wound. Because tetanus can not thrive in oxygenated areas (like open wounds), only deep puncture wounds are susceptible to tetanus. And in an accident like that it was unlikely there was any dirty rust or fecal matter involved. If anything, as necessary, I'd do the TIG which is a shot of tetanus antibodies.

I NEVER take antibiotics as prevention, it is not a preventative therapy! I keep everything clean and use oils. And if there is an infection, I'd try oils first. But thats me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

i would have delined he tetanus  shot...chances are slim to none there was any tetanus bateria in the road...and i'd keep the antibiotcs on hand, in case the scrapes looked like it had an active infection, but at this point, theres things you can do to avoid it becoming infected....ER personnel are notorious for recommedding a tetanus vax for ANYHTING, and i mean, anything..it seems as if it's their cure all for everything they can't fix right away,as if it is something to calm the patient down  and make them feel 'cared for'..

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Thank you so much for tge great info. Hopefully we will never be in another similar situation, but if we are i hope i will remember this info!
tansyflower
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

they gave my dh a "tetanus" shot when he scratched his eye open in a lawn mowing accident and he got terrible ill.  little did he know they actually gave him a dtap shot.  he spend a week on the couch with migraines, fever, chills, throwing up and then got a horrible infection at the injection sight and ended up with cellutitis which needed antibiotics.  his reaction was horrible :(

on the bright side it made him realize how scary vax reactions are and he thanked me later for not potentially putting one of our kids through that.  his exact words were "i will NEVER let them poison one of my kids with that crap" so yay for getting him on the anti-vax bandwagon :)

all you can do is learn from the situation and use it to make better decisions in the future!  ((hugs))

Magnolia7
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Standard of care for any trauma is to update the tetanus and inject a gram of ancef.  It's considered prophalaxis, we do it on pretty much everybody in that sort of situation unless you can clearly remember you had a tetanus in the last five years. It's definitely not individualized treatment.

Like any treatment, you can refuse if you wish but it seems like people seldom do. 

I personally don't do the abx just in case thing.  If I had a large wound I would make sure that it was thoroughly cleansed prior to sutures or staples (a lot of docs get lazy and just figure "oh well, they're getting antibiotics").  Then after I would cleanse with soap and water as appropriate to however the wound was closed and watch closely for signs of infection. 

It's hard to make those decisions in such a rushed environment and I know the pressure tactics that are used - unless you get a nurse like me, you'll at least get a guilt trip if you try to refuse.

Magnolia7
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Good point!! It will be introduced as a tetanus shot, but there are different varieties and it's important to ask.  A lot of doctors are trending towards ordering the dtap on adults because they really think it's the answer to the resurgence of pertussis. 

Your poor husband, but thank goodness he's better and understands that much better.

Quoting tansyflower:

they gave my dh a "tetanus" shot when he scratched his eye open in a lawn mowing accident and he got terrible ill.  little did he know they actually gave him a dtap shot.  he spend a week on the couch with migraines, fever, chills, throwing up and then got a horrible infection at the injection sight and ended up with cellutitis which needed antibiotics.  his reaction was horrible :(

on the bright side it made him realize how scary vax reactions are and he thanked me later for not potentially putting one of our kids through that.  his exact words were "i will NEVER let them poison one of my kids with that crap" so yay for getting him on the anti-vax bandwagon :)

all you can do is learn from the situation and use it to make better decisions in the future!  ((hugs))

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I guess the concern for me also was that it has to be cast, so it won get sun and air etc.

Quoting Magnolia7:

Standard of care for any trauma is to update the tetanus and inject a gram of ancef.  It's considered prophalaxis, we do it on pretty much everybody in that sort of situation unless you can clearly remember you had a tetanus in the last five years. It's definitely not individualized treatment.

Like any treatment, you can refuse if you wish but it seems like people seldom do. 

I personally don't do the abx just in case thing.  If I had a large wound I would make sure that it was thoroughly cleansed prior to sutures or staples (a lot of docs get lazy and just figure "oh well, they're getting antibiotics").  Then after I would cleanse with soap and water as appropriate to however the wound was closed and watch closely for signs of infection. 

It's hard to make those decisions in such a rushed environment and I know the pressure tactics that are used - unless you get a nurse like me, you'll at least get a guilt trip if you try to refuse.

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I guess the concern for me also was that it has to be cast, so it won get sun and air etc.

Quoting Magnolia7:

Magnolia7
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Ah, so you wouldn't really be able to visualize it.  They'll remove the splint they applied in the ER when he follows up with the orthopedist for a cast, so that should give y'all a chance to check out the healing.   What an ordeal, I hope he heals quickly.  

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Magnolia7:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN