Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

first grader angst-ridden over homework

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 161 Total Views

My six year old girl is threatening to never go to school again because the homeowrk is "too boring" and that she only likes recess. The work isn't that much and it's nothing she has trouble grasping. I think she's just tired out at the end of the day. I let her have a break before she does it and it seems to help but now she won't go to bed at night, anxious about the following day's homework. Any suggestions on how to quell anxiety and/or approach this subject?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
doulala
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Is it necessary?
Can you do it together?
How much is it and what kind?

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Doing it together is a great idea, and Try to find ways to make it fun. My kindergartener is already fighting homework too, today she had to do adding by 2s. So I asked her to grab 15 crayons or something else that she likes (she chose rocks) and we made piles and added them together. Just that little bit of dimension flipped her attitude about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Oh and there's no harm in talking to her teacher about her unwillingness and seeking a solution with her. That open communication between parent and teacher is important, as I'm finding out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:17 AM

you might get more suggestions in the Elementary or School Age forums on Cafemom...it's sounds as if she is not emotionally mature enough to handle first grade work just yet.  I'd talk to her teacher and see if a plan can be made regarding the homework issue. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)