Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could you lovely ladies help me out?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 285 Total Views

My Google skills seem to be lacking today (or it could just be this darn pregnancy brain LOL). I have gotten the Rhogam vaccine my past 2 pregnancies, but am having 2nd thoughts about it this time around. I can find information on the shot (what it's for, when to get it, ect.) but I cannot, for the life of me, find any negative information on it. 

Would you be able to tell me the negatives of the Rhogam vaccine? Or help me find a good site that explains the bad? 

I still have a ways away, only being 5 weeks LOL But I would like to know NOW so that I don't forget later on and have an awkward stare down with the doctor when they mention it LOL

Thank you all!

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Kitty would be a good one to answer this one.....i'll look around too....i think there was a post a while back about the issue

dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I have several links, I'll try to remember to come back when I'm on the PC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma_gig
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Thanks!

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Is you dh/so rh+ or rh-?  If he is rh- then there is no risk to the baby.

Kristin0728
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I've NEVER been told to get this. I don't even know what it's for. Im sure you'll survive without it. I always say look at the package insert. Google package insert. It will list the ingredients, which you can research for sideffects and FDA safe levels. And the package insert will list side-effects noted in trials that were paid for by them. Most of the time a vaccine insert will say death. So, most of the time that automatically tells you risking the disease is worth it. Many of the ingredients are generally not safe for pregnancy and can cause miscarriage. 

I'd go off of the package insert. It probably will say that it hasn't been tested in pregnant women. If that is so, just tell your doctor that you don't feel like being the test subject. Until it's tested, you wont consider it. That's usually reasonable enough. If it's not, find a new doc. Better yet, find a midwife and do a home birth! 

momma_gig
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

He's Rh+. Both my kids came out Rh- so far, though. 

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

momma_gig
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Everyone is either Rh+ or Rh- which means that they either have or are lacking a certain protein in their blood. It doesn't have any affect on anything, until a woman without the protein (Rh-) is pregnant and the father of the baby does have the protein in his blood (Rh+). If the baby is Rh+ and his/her blood mixes with the mother's blood, her blood will form antibodies against the protein. This won't affect the current pregnancy, but could affect future pregnancies and end them in miscarriages. 

The Rhogam shot is given to an Rh- pregnant woman at around 28 weeks, and again after birth if her baby is Rh+ to prevent her body from forming antibodies. 

My problem with the vaccine has to do with the fact that the only way the baby's blood will mix with yours is if you have severe trauma to your abdomen during pregnancy, or if some form of complication arises during delivery. I don't see the point in getting it during pregnancy if I am not in an accident that would cause significant damage to the amniotic sack. It seems like injecting all the nasty stuff that's in the vaccine would do more harm than good if the need for it never arises. 

Quoting Kristin0728:

I've NEVER been told to get this. I don't even know what it's for. Im sure you'll survive without it. I always say look at the package insert. Google package insert. It will list the ingredients, which you can research for sideffects and FDA safe levels. And the package insert will list side-effects noted in trials that were paid for by them. Most of the time a vaccine insert will say death. So, most of the time that automatically tells you risking the disease is worth it. Many of the ingredients are generally not safe for pregnancy and can cause miscarriage. 

I'd go off of the package insert. It probably will say that it hasn't been tested in pregnant women. If that is so, just tell your doctor that you don't feel like being the test subject. Until it's tested, you wont consider it. That's usually reasonable enough. If it's not, find a new doc. Better yet, find a midwife and do a home birth! 

pregnancy

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

It is my understanding that the 28 week shot is a "precaution" against exposure, but if you have no trauma then there is no risk for sensitization. If you should experience trauma then you have 72 hours to get the shot after.   Then after birth if you child tests + then you can get the shot. 

Quoting momma_gig:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
momma_gig
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM

This is what I just explained to Kristin0728. The first 2 practices that I went to (previous pregnanies) give it to any Rh- woman at 28 weeks, regardless of trauma or not. I think I will refuse it this time unless I do have some trauma. Unless I can find info that would convince me not to get it at all.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

It is my understanding that the 28 week shot is a "precaution" against exposure, but if you have no trauma then there is no risk for sensitization. If you should experience trauma then you have 72 hours to get the shot after.   Then after birth if you child tests + then you can get the shot. 

Quoting momma_gig:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

pregnancy

Kristin0728
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:49 AM

my question is how do they know it even works? I dont think any vaccines really work. this just sounds like scientists playing god and skewing numbers during trials and making scare tactics. but then again, i havent studied this one. i just go with a standard no injections policy. vaccines, vitamins, antibiotics, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)