Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no family support

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 168 Total Views
Hi everyone, I'm new to this group! My name is olivia and I'm 23. Pregnant with my first baby, almost 31 weeks. I have done research about not vaccinating vs vaccinating and have come to the conclusion that I will not vaccinate my son once he is born. I have talked to my dh and explained/showed him the information I've found that helped me make my decision, so he is OK with the decision. My problem is what if other family has a problem with it? I'm pretty sure my mil does BC any time the subject is brought up she makes the comment of "well your dh had all of his shots when he was a baby and he turned out just fine!" Keep in mind my dh is 23 as well. I know its my child, my decision but she will be keeping him at times so of course I want her to understand. How would you handle this situation if you were me?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Extended family don't need to know you don't vaccinated. Have you said anything to them yet? If not don't. Let them assume what they want.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, just don't talk to her about it.  It's not her child, it doesn't matter what she thinks.  Start standing up for yourself now or it will be a never ending battle when you make a decision for your child(ren) that she doesn't agree with.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Hi Olivia, I am new to the group too.  Congratulations on your pregnancy.

If other family have a problem with it, you have to take it with a grain of salt and remember that YOU are the parent. What YOU say goes.  If your family doesn't like it, they're going to have to get used to it. Thankfully after I showed my mom what I know (the only person's opinion I was afraid would upset me), she is completely on board with no vaccines for my kids.

I haven't really told anyone else in our families.  It's none of their business IMO.

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Welcome! I'm always impressed when moms and dads think to research the vaccine decision before their babies are born. I wish I had been smart enough to do that. If you feel you MUST tell her, try to gather as much information as you can for her to read. You might also make a list of the reasons you are not vaccinating so you can have it in front of you when you talk with her. I hope if you tell her, she will respect your decision and maybe even start to change her views on it!

emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

i suggest printing out the pamphlet available here, and carry copies with you to hand to nosy family members...it really is no ones business how you handle your child's heatlh..and the argument about your dh having his vaxes is moot, because the list of vaxes now is three times as long as back when your dh was vaxed..point that out as well, as NO safety studies have been done either, proving they are safe and effective..you should not have to spend time with anyone arguing this issue, tell them  the info is readily available,  thru websites their own drs use.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Just because one person is "fine" does not guarentee that your child will not react.  My mother balked at the idea of us not vaxing for nearly 2 year.  Now she is 100% on board.  It takes time for some gp to understand that there is so much more information available and what was best practice 20-30 years ago is not now. 

rishsticks
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

My MIL constantly has it out for us now that she knows we don't vaccinate. I mean for the littlest, most trivial things she will make a vaccine comment. It's annoying.

For example, "She probably needs to have to shots before she goes and plays with other kids".

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

maddiesmommy5
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Quoting rishsticks:

My MIL constantly has it out for us now that she knows we don't vaccinate. I mean for the littlest, most trivial things she will make a vaccine comment. It's annoying.

For example, "She probably needs to have to shots before she goes and plays with other kids".

Ugh we have family that is the same way/said the same things. It gets so annoying!

Mincen
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM

You could start out by saying that you're going to delay until the baby is just a little bit older....and then keep on delaying!  After a while, when the baby is older, the vaccine fear factor might wear away a little, and your inlaws will see that he/she is doing just fine without the shots.

Lurion
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  1. Do your research--CHECK
  2. Join the non vaxing group on CM--CHECK
  3. Get hubby on board--CHECK
  4. Tell MIL you'd have done the same thing 23 years ago when they had 7-8 vaccinations;  now there are something like 32 and all kinds of new research if she'd like to go over it. Then ask her for all kinds of advice on other subjects and remind her what a great son she raised. :) 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)