Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS (almost 3 years old) probably has the flu--remedies?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 314 Total Views

He was exposed at a birthday party Saturday night while at his dad's house.  Monday morning his cousin (who did get the vax) was tested for and confirmed that she has influenza A.  XH is sicker than a dog (also got the vax b/c he's military) but hasn't been tested yet.  His brother is sick, as well.

DS regularly takes a multivitamin and extra Vitamin D so he gets 1000 units a day.  As soon as I got him back Tues evening I started giving him elderberry syrup (the "already sick" dose) and lots of fruit for extra Vit C.  Unfortunately he's been coughing a bit since yesterday afternoon and woke up with a bad runny nose.  I don't plan to take him to the ped b/c I wouldn't want him on Tamiflu anyway.  Any other natural recommendations?  Thanks!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM

There may be some ideas in the 'Healthy Living' forum in this group...let us know if you don't find anything

PEEK05
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Hope he feels better soon!

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Just a cough and a runny nose? At this point, it sounds like he has a cold that could be related to being exposed to the flu, but that is not the flu. When I think FLU, the symptoms are body aches and pain, chills, extreme fatigue, cough, sore throat, etc.. I think what you're doing will definitely help keep it at bay, so hopefully it won't get any worse than that. I don't think it would hurt to double or even triple his Vit. D. Here's a link I came across in an anti-vax FB page:

http://www.wellwithin1.com/flu2.htm

jlc91
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Quoting Ichthus:

Just a cough and a runny nose? At this point, it sounds like he has a cold that could be related to being exposed to the flu, but that is not the flu. When I think FLU, the symptoms are body aches and pain, chills, extreme fatigue, cough, sore throat, etc.. I think what you're doing will definitely help keep it at bay, so hopefully it won't get any worse than that. I don't think it would hurt to double or even triple his Vit. D. Here's a link I came across in an anti-vax FB page:

http://www.wellwithin1.com/flu2.htm

Thanks for this link!!  I really hope he doesn't have the flu but he's speech delayed and not good at expressing if something is wrong with him.  He's been pretty fussy today for the sitter from what I've heard.  She hasn't checked his temp yet.  Hopefully it is just a cold! :)

kmugs
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I was going to suggest elderberry but someone beat me to it!  

If you are into homeopathy, oscillococcinum may help.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:22 PM

This, Oscillococcinum makes a kids version too.

Quoting kmugs:

I was going to suggest elderberry but someone beat me to it!  

If you are into homeopathy, oscillococcinum may help.

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Clh1989
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM

We all got over the flu in 24 hours with elderberry syrup, my 3 year old included. We were what seemed like deathly ill for one full day, and then the next we were a little achy and tired but nothing bad. It was confirmed type A. We all took elderberry every couple hours. 

jddragonfly
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I swear by Manuka Honey.  The stuff is amazing.  Whenever we get sick, here is our routine, . . . 1Tsp of Children's Echinacea/Elderberry Syrup + 1 Tsp of Manuka Honey.  We do this three times a day till symptoms subside.  

starbuck75
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

If you could get him to drink plain, no sugar coconut kefir....you could maybe mix some fruit in it to make it taste better.  Barring that, make sure he is getting probiotics.  Culturell for kids is casein free and is a very good one you can get now at most drug stores.  Be sure vitamin C is a low enough dose so that you can dose it about every three hours.  It is water soluble so does not stay in the body very long.  When my son is sick - but he is bigger and older - he gets about 250 mg every three hours on top of what he normally gets. Milk thistle will help detoxify his liver.  

Mincen
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Great suggestions!

1. Eliminate as much sugar as possible from the diet. Sugar impairs the immune system.

2. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)--make sure it is raw, organic, and unfiltered. It should have the "mother"--the brownish silt at the bottom. You can find it online, or at GNC, health food stores, and even some grocery stores (the more expensive grocery stores.) I like to mix a little ACV in with my children's vitamin drink. Please research the health benefits of ACV, and you'll be surprised. We use ACV at our house and it works wonders.

3. I use oil of oregano, but I haven't used it for my 3 year old yet. My husband, mother, son, and I all use oregano oil, but it is too strong for the toddler. You could always try diluting it and see if it works.

4. Coconut water is a good drink for dehydration. If you are lucky enough to find a baby coconut, buy it!! Baby coconuts are cheap, and the water inside is very nutritious!

5. While ill, feed your son the most healthy food you can possibly afford. His body needs to work on healing, not dealing with toxins and food that is hard to digest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)