Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rhogam Shot

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 412 Total Views

With my previous 2 pregnancies, I had the Rhogam shot, since my blood type is O- and my husband is B positive.  Anyway, I'm considering getting pregnant again and I don't want to get it.  My feeling is that it really isn't necessary.   Anyone have any info or opinions on this? 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You can always choose to wait until after the baby is born and tests positive to get the shot.  It only works after blood exposure anyway which can occur in labor.  Also unless there is suspected trauma, like a fall or accident, there is no reason to get the shot.  If there is an issue you have 72 hours to get the shot.

Allinorder
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM
I always caved and got it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM
What are your kids blood type?
If neither are positive you weren't exposed to the rh.
If one was you were and your body will attack the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM
After the first pregnancy, your body attacks subsequent pregnancies.
First child I agree, but if not the shot prevents your body from killing the new baby.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

You can always choose to wait until after the baby is born and tests positive to get the shot.  It only works after blood exposure anyway which can occur in labor.  Also unless there is suspected trauma, like a fall or accident, there is no reason to get the shot.  If there is an issue you have 72 hours to get the shot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM
That's one that I have always chosen to give in on as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Hence why it is necessary if the baby tests positive after birth.  There is no reason to give the shot during pregnancy, especially up to 12 weeks before the edd.

Quoting kitty8199:

First child I agree, but if not the shot prevents your body from killing the new baby.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM
The risk isn't to mom but to the developing fetus. If mom had a rh positive baby all future babies are at risk. If dad is negative, no need.
But if a second or greater pregnancy is positive, after one positive baby already, your body will kill the fetus.
The risk is DURING pregnancy, to the baby. Not mom.
After birth it's too late, it wouldn't make it term.
Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Hence why it is necessary if the baby tests positive after birth.  There is no reason to give the shot during pregnancy, especially up to 12 weeks before the edd.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM

The risk occurs when the blood crosses.  The baby's blood and mom's does not mix during a pregnancy unless there is birth or trauma.  Therefore there is no risk to baby unless there is trauma or birth.  The shot during pregnancy does nothing unless it occurs within 72 hours of blood mix (such as after a fall).  I understand RH incompatibility disease, but the risk to the baby is not present unless there is a blood mix.  If baby 1 is positive then the shot is given after birth (within 72 hours) to mitigate the blood mix.  Therefore there is no risk in waiting until after baby is born to get the shot.  Given at 28 weeks the shot is long worn off before birth.  Here is an article that expalins it better. 

Unless there is trauma (ie blood mix) there is no need to get the shot until baby is born and tests rh+

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/rhogam-vaccine-big-pharma-profit-ploy/

http://www.vaccinetruth.org/rhogam.htm

Quoting kitty8199:

The risk isn't to mom but to the developing fetus. If mom had a rh positive baby all future babies are at risk. If dad is negative, no need.
But if a second or greater pregnancy is positive, after one positive baby already, your body will kill the fetus.
Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Is there a way to test for rh antibodies? I'm neg my dd is pos, and bf is pos, so if we have a child, baby could be, too.
I had it after my dd, so that should take care of the next child right?

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

The risk occurs when the blood crosses.  The baby's blood and mom's does not mix during a pregnancy unless there is birth or trauma.  Therefore there is no risk to baby unless there is trauma or birth.  The shot during pregnancy does nothing unless it occurs within 72 hours of blood mix (such as after a fall).  I understand RH incompatibility disease, but the risk to the baby is not present unless there is a blood mix.  If baby 1 is positive then the shot is given after birth (within 72 hours) to mitigate the blood mix.  Therefore there is no risk in waiting until after baby is born to get the shot.  Given at 28 weeks the shot is long worn off before birth.  Here is an article that expalins it better. 

Unless there is trauma (ie blood mix) there is no need to get the shot until baby is born and tests rh+

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM

If you had the shot after dd, then you should be fine.  If you have another child  you will not need the shot until after birth unless there is trauma to the abdomen.  If after birth the child tests positive then you have 72 hours to get the shot. 

Quoting kitty8199:

Is there a way to test for rh antibodies? I'm neg my dd is pos, and bf is pos, so if we have a child, baby could be, too.
I had it after my dd, so that should take care of the next child right?

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

The risk occurs when the blood crosses.  The baby's blood and mom's does not mix during a pregnancy unless there is birth or trauma.  Therefore there is no risk to baby unless there is trauma or birth.  The shot during pregnancy does nothing unless it occurs within 72 hours of blood mix (such as after a fall).  I understand RH incompatibility disease, but the risk to the baby is not present unless there is a blood mix.  If baby 1 is positive then the shot is given after birth (within 72 hours) to mitigate the blood mix.  Therefore there is no risk in waiting until after baby is born to get the shot.  Given at 28 weeks the shot is long worn off before birth.  Here is an article that explains it better. 

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)