Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared about my son's 4mo appointment

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 328 Total Views
2 moms liked this

Today I'm taking my son in for his 4 month well visit. We got out of shots last time, but that's also when his ped said that the office won't see a child who is unvaccinated because they once had an outbreak of measles and got in trouble blah blah blah... So I told her I'd talk to my husband and do more research for myself and let her know. Well I'm assuming today will be the last appointment there, which sucks, cause in every other aspect, she's a great doc. Very respectful and nice; I know she's seen some of the illnesses in children which is why she recommends the shots, but we all know they could have easily gotten it even if they were vaccinated. Anyway, Just hoping it goes well and that I'll know how to use the words I want to say properly so she knows that this is what's best for my family.. Also REALLY hoping that we'll be able to find a good doc that will see him without his shots. Wish us luck!

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BlessedMammaof2
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck. Don't feel like you need explain anything. No is sufficient. You might look into family doctors or family nurse practitioners, in my experience they have been more accepting of unvaccinated patients. I'm taking my son in for a sick visit. He hasn't been to a well child visit in 10 months. They never refused to see us but they pushed the subject every visit in the past. We'll see how it goes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmugs
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

If you think she is genuine about worrying about VAD (although don't all sorts of other sick people sit in waiting rooms?) you could tell her you are willing to use a separate entrance, wear a mask, etc...if you ever even think you have a VAD.  You could also bring the CDC pink book which shows just how rare most VAD are (there are only 60 cases of measles or so per year in the USA - she wants to make a policy on something that a particular child has a 60/ 300 000 000 of having?  You could also ask her if all adults are up to date - as the stats on adults being up to date are very, very low.  Does she exclude them too?

Chances are she will not see those who do not vaccinate as it is against a policy she either made (as a way to strong arm people into vaxxing) or is imposed on her by whomever she works for/with.

Ah, well, I would probably just go to the appointment, assume it is the last - and start looking for a new doctor.  

PEEK05
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I'm sorry. :( Good luck!

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM
How'd it go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emillz92
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I know what you mean. But they do have 2 different waiting rooms for sick and well patients. And that's exactly what I did; I figured it would be the last and just made the best of it.

Quoting kmugs:

If you think she is genuine about worrying about VAD (although don't all sorts of other sick people sit in waiting rooms?) you could tell her you are willing to use a separate entrance, wear a mask, etc...if you ever even think you have a VAD.  You could also bring the CDC pink book which shows just how rare most VAD are (there are only 60 cases of measles or so per year in the USA - she wants to make a policy on something that a particular child has a 60/ 300 000 000 of having?  You could also ask her if all adults are up to date - as the stats on adults being up to date are very, very low.  Does she exclude them too?

Chances are she will not see those who do not vaccinate as it is against a policy she either made (as a way to strong arm people into vaxxing) or is imposed on her by whomever she works for/with.

Ah, well, I would probably just go to the appointment, assume it is the last - and start looking for a new doctor.  

emillz92
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM
3 moms liked this

It went well. The doc was very nice about it and not super pushy. She did give her side and all the examples of why it would be a good idea to get him his shots and all that hoopla, but she never made me feel like she thought I was being a bad mom for endangering my child or anything like that.
But it was our last appointment there. So looking for non-vax friendly doctors I go.

Quoting jellyphish:

How'd it go?

April620
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM
3 moms liked this
My DD's 4 month check up was this morning. Our pediatrician gave us a hard time about continuing to delay but we stuck to our guns and said we just weren't ready yet. It seems they pressure and guilt us more at each appointment but we have made the decision not to vax for at least the first 5 years so we just have to keep putting them off and making excuses. It's so sad to me this is the world we live in. Being guilt tripped by our doctors to inject our babies with poisons. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM

i actually see my ped BECAUSE she is one of the only non vaxing ped in the area.  she doesnt even bother to explain why she wants to give them shots.  she just asks if we are still delaying/non vaxing and then has me sign a liability waiver saying we had discussed it and i had refused.  i have no problem signing a liability waiver.  she is also supportive of me using donor milk which is a bonus :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)