Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you know about the Tuberculosis test? Is there another option?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 269 Total Views

I took my whole family (5 of us) to visit a dying aunt on Saturday. I just found out this morning that she has Tuberculosis. I am being told to get a test done on all of us. I am reading that the skin test that both my doctor and the local health department is being recommended. This test is a small amount of fluid called Tuberculin will be injected under the skin and then tested within 72 hours. Tuberculin purified protein derivative (PPD) is an extract of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) is a pathogenic bacterial species in the genus Mycobacterium and the causative agent of most cases of tuberculosis (TB). So I guess one of my questions is. IF I have been exposed to to the disease. (She didn't cough or sneeze on us) how long would I need to quarantine my family to make sure not to spread the disease. I Just found where there is a blood test you can take. Does anyone know anything about that? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this

The skin test is notoriously inaccurate and can lead to needing further testing and unnecessary x rays.  The skin test is Quantiferon Gold and Quest labs does it.  It took about 3-5 days to get back but it is drastically more accurate and not risk of the skin test. 

emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM

If anyone has tb, they'll get put on antibiotics...people can also be asymptomatic carriers, showing no signs of it-it happened to my niece...she got a test for a job, and thats how she found out she had it

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Did she have x-ray and spectulum (mucous) confirmed tb or just the skin test.  The skin test has a truly stupid false positive rate, and the risk of false positive goes up with each exposure to the skin test. 

Quoting emmy526:

If anyone has tb, they'll get put on antibiotics...people can also be asymptomatic carriers, showing no signs of it-it happened to my niece...she got a test for a job, and thats how she found out she had it

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM

they did all the tests possible to confirm it...she thinks she got it in mexico

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Did she have x-ray and spectulum (mucous) confirmed tb or just the skin test.  The skin test has a truly stupid false positive rate, and the risk of false positive goes up with each exposure to the skin test. 

Quoting emmy526:

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Ahhh, by me there was a big to do because some dr treated a person for TB without confirming and they got very ill from the antibiotic that was unnecessary in the first place. 

Quoting emmy526:

they did all the tests possible to confirm it...she thinks she got it in mexico

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Quoting emmy526:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
starbuck75
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I remember having to go get a type of chest x-ray to test for the disease back wehn I first started teaching.  I would opt for that or the blood test.  I am DONE with having anything injected into me.  I am no fan of x-ray and try to avoid that, but if you cannot find a blood test, I'd raqther have the chest x-ray than the skin test.

mjrex87
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM

When is the TB test usually done?

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM
There's a blood test. Quanterferon gold or something like that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

The skin test will only show if you have been exposed to TB, not if you actually have it.   Although, I know I have been exposed several times and have yet to ever test positive. I believe the blood test is the same, it shows if you are making antibodies to fight an exposure.

I would go more by symptoms - breathing problems, coughing, night sweats.  An xray will confirm if one actually has the disease, rather than the antibodies.  If you were in close contact you can talk to a doctor you trust who may recommend prophalactic antibiotics. 

If it were my family I would amp up the immune support with natural remedies.

tansyflower
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM

i dont know all the details about the test so i cant speak on it as far as if its safe or effective.

but i do know that mine got messed up because i had an allergic reaction to the BANDAID that they put on me....even after i told them NOT to put it on me because i always had a reaction to the adhesive and couldnt use them (i had originally requested a tegaderm) but it was "hospital protocol" and they "had to" and then when i came in to get my results read they freaked out and said it was positive even though you could plainly see that the inflamed areas were in perfect sqaures on either side of the shot.  i finally convinced them to retest me and to just put a tegderm on it like i had originally asked for....after arguing for 15 minutes mind you.  and SURPRISE!  came back negative.

god i hate stupid people.  especially when those stupid people are in charge of making sure we are "healthy".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)