Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Push for Boys to get HPV Vax to Boost Revenue for Pharma

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:30 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 182 Total Views

Parents supportive of vaccinating boys for HPV

Merck ($MRK) and GlaxoSmithKline ($GSK) could boost revenues brought in by their HPV vaccines--Gardasil and Cervarix--if more boys received the shot regimen. A new study out of Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) shows that more parents and guardians saw benefits than drawbacks to vaccinating boys. Researchers interviewed 120 parents and legal guardians of boys age 11 to 17 and found that more African-American (73%) and Latino (86%) than Caucasian (44%) participants supported school-entry mandates, but all felt that requirements should apply to both genders. "This study indicates that most parents would accept HPV vaccination for their sons just as readily as for daughters," Rebecca Perkins, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at BUSM, said in a release. "Future research should explore the effects of the 2012 recommendations for routine vaccination for males on parental attitudes and uptake of HPV vaccination among both sexes." Release

Read more: Parents supportive of vaccinating boys for HPV - FierceVaccines http://www.fiercevaccines.com/story/parents-supportive-vaccinating-boys-hpv/2013-02-06#ixzz2KJ2vHUlO 
Subscribe: http://www.fiercevaccines.com/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceVaccines-FierceVaccines
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mjrex87
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I just keep losing faith in people. So stupid.

Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Sad.
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm trying to figure out why the hell people think vaccinating someone without a cervix for cervical cancer makes sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Isnt the thought process (not saying i agree) that the boys "carry" it and give it to the girls, thus vax the "culprit"?

Quoting kitty8199:

I'm trying to figure out why the hell people think vaccinating someone without a cervix for cervical cancer makes sense.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM
But if all girls are vaccinated........

Quoting FebPenguins:

Isnt the thought process (not saying i agree) that the boys "carry" it and give it to the girls, thus vax the "culprit"?

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mortiferouslatt
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM
My son will not receive the hpv vaccination and if I ever have a daughter, neither will she.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, ok, I see your thought process. I just always think back of what can "they" gain? NOT healthier people, just sicker and more money in the pocket!!

Quoting kitty8199:

But if all girls are vaccinated........

Quoting FebPenguins:

Quoting kitty8199:

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Exactly!

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)