Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chickenpox

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 202 Total Views

How dangerous is chickenpox for older children and adults? They make it sound so terrible, is it really a concern? 

What does everyone here do about chickenpox? Do you expose your kids to it and let them build up the immunity, or just not worry about it?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PEEK05
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I don't know.  I don't vaccinate, even myself, and it's one of the only ones I am worried about because neither myself or my brothers have had chicken pox, even when exposed to it as children. I don't know how much of the 'chicken pox are dangerous for adults' is a scare tactic and how much of it is real.  I haven't found any real reputable sources to read to know one way or the other. Hopefully someone here has some information!

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I would gladly expose my kids! Whenever I hear of someone with cp I try and make friends with them ;)
But I don't know much about adult cp.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

my dd who works in a daycare, has been exposed numerous times, i'm sure to shedding children, and hasnt had a problem yet...i myself, still swear all my kids had cp when they were younger, altho it was not confirmed by the dr...and now after 13yrs, i still believe it more than ever...most likely they got it at headstart/school from a vaxed child shedding.   If  by chance my kids were recently sick when the exposure occured,  then it's more likely they would have caught the shedding virus, as their immunites were down.   

FebPenguins
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My mom had shingles. The dr assured me that dd would get the pox. He told us we couldn't see each other until mom's sores had healed. HA! My daughter NEVER got the pox, and still hasn't!!! I don't know why they make is sound like such a HUGE deal, other than the money trail.

kmugs
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM

It can be dangerous in pregnancy (for the baby)

it has a higher complication rate - including pneumonia

it is usually more severe - more scabs, etc..

That being said.....I would not get a CP vaccine to prevent CP  in adulthood.  I am not prone to pneumonia, so that does not concern me.  A CP vaccines these day (or wild chicken pox) is associated with shingles. You can get the CP from the vaccine - it is called break through CP and it happen something like 5% of the time.  The vaccine having a 5% chance of giving me "mild"  CP is way higher than the chance I have of catching wild CP  as an adult.  I worry about all vaccines and autoimmune issues - particulalry in females - CP vaccine is no different.

kmugs
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Quoting PEEK05:

I don't know.  I don't vaccinate, even myself, and it's one of the only ones I am worried about because neither myself or my brothers have had chicken pox, even when exposed to it as children. I don't know how much of the 'chicken pox are dangerous for adults' is a scare tactic and how much of it is real.  I haven't found any real reputable sources to read to know one way or the other. Hopefully someone here has some information!

Most adults have had CP, evenif they do not remember it.  This has been shown through titres.  The vaccine was liscenced in 1995 -so if you were 12 or so by 1995 - you probably had chicken pox,  I can try and get a link if you like. 

mjrex87
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I'm not considering the vaccine at all, just wondering if I should expose my DD to it to build her immunity to it or just not worry about it and hope she doesn't catch it at a later age.

Quoting kmugs:

It can be dangerous in pregnancy (for the baby)

it has a higher complication rate - including pneumonia

it is usually more severe - more scabs, etc..

That being said.....I would not get a CP vaccine to prevent CP  in adulthood.  I am not prone to pneumonia, so that does not concern me.  A CP vaccines these day (or wild chicken pox) is associated with shingles. You can get the CP from the vaccine - it is called break through CP and it happen something like 5% of the time.  The vaccine having a 5% chance of giving me "mild"  CP is way higher than the chance I have of catching wild CP  as an adult.  I worry about all vaccines and autoimmune issues - particulalry in females - CP vaccine is no different.

kmugs
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM

That is a hard question! 

10 years ago I would have said "expose her" without question. 

Now, with the rise of shingles (which is largely caused by less wild CP floating around) I am more hesitant.  You must have had CP or the vaccine to get shingles, so it might be prudent to try and avoid CP.  I just do not know.  

I have a 10 year old female who has never had CP.  We do not actively avoid CP (the one time I saw a child out in public with sores (it was a library and she did play near him) I did not get her to stop playing, but nor did I encourage close play.  I let the universe decide - and she did not get CP.  This is the only case of CP I have seen in years, and I work in a public library where kids constantly stream through.

Quoting mjrex87:

I'm not considering the vaccine at all, just wondering if I should expose my DD to it to build her immunity to it or just not worry about it and hope she doesn't catch it at a later age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)