Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a thought to consider...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 418 Total Views

One of the reasons that pro-vaccine supporters argue that Autism is not caused by vaccines is that there are cases of Autism in children who were not vaccinated. I'm wondering: Has anyone ever asked the parents of these children if and when the mother had been vaccinated? We know that so many things are passed on from the mother to her child via the womb. Example: I have heard that dietary choices made by the great grandmother while pregnant can affect the health of offspring 2-3 generations out. Has anyone ever suggested the possibility that the Autism was passed on to the child from the mother's vaccinations?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I could totally see that happening.  I was just in my pre-op appointment yesterday for my c-section tomorrow and they were super surprised that I have been refusing the Tdap during my pregnancies (and outside of my pregnancies too lol).  Why in the world would I want to be getting that vaccination while pregnant when I would not even get it outside of pregnancy?!?! No, I do not want that stuff passing through me to the baby but thanks anyway.

emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM

good luck!  And i'm sure they will pester you again, once the baby is born.  Do you have someone with baby at all times while in the hosp?

Quoting PEEK05:

I could totally see that happening.  I was just in my pre-op appointment yesterday for my c-section tomorrow and they were super surprised that I have been refusing the Tdap during my pregnancies (and outside of my pregnancies too lol).  Why in the world would I want to be getting that vaccination while pregnant when I would not even get it outside of pregnancy?!?! No, I do not want that stuff passing through me to the baby but thanks anyway.

PEEK05
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM

With me the whole time so thankfully I know what's going on at all times with my baby. :) My hospital is super great, even with c-sections.  They place baby immediately on the chest after the surgery before they do the assessment right there in the OR room.  When I am transferred to the recovery room, so is baby.  I am still numb at that point so my husband helps me breastfeed during that time.  Then when I'm ready to actually go to my room, baby comes with me.  Everything gets done in my room from there on out, including the hearing tests and all that kind of stuff.  I am very thankful my hospital is like this! They even encourage you to wheel your baby's bed into the bathroom with you if you are taking a shower and there are no nurses or support person in the room with you.  They just let you know that the nursery is an option if you want it and don't mention it again unless you ask for it (which I never do).

Quoting emmy526:

good luck!  And i'm sure they will pester you again, once the baby is born.  Do you have someone with baby at all times while in the hosp?

Quoting PEEK05:

emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM

sounds like the hospital i was in too...it was great!

Quoting PEEK05:

With me the whole time so thankfully I know what's going on at all times with my baby. :) My hospital is super great, even with c-sections.  They place baby immediately on the chest after the surgery before they do the assessment right there in the OR room.  When I am transferred to the recovery room, so is baby.  I am still numb at that point so my husband helps me breastfeed during that time.  Then when I'm ready to actually go to my room, baby comes with me.  Everything gets done in my room from there on out, including the hearing tests and all that kind of stuff.  I am very thankful my hospital is like this! They even encourage you to wheel your baby's bed into the bathroom with you if you are taking a shower and there are no nurses or support person in the room with you.  They just let you know that the nursery is an option if you want it and don't mention it again unless you ask for it (which I never do).

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting PEEK05:

dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I think other things that could be factors to consider..... drugs given to mother's during labor, both for pain relief and inductions.  Also, the things women's Mother's and Grandmother's did/took during pregnancy.  A females future eggs are developing right there as she is and while damage may not show up in HER, they could make their appearance in HER children because of what her eggs were exposed to in utero.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I know that there are two cases in the Amish community south of me that are often sited.  What the pro-vax people fail to mention is that both children were adopted and were vaccinated prior to their adoptions. 

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM
It was never said vaccines were the ONLY cause
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, but many are very adamant about making the point that vaccines are NOT AT ALL to blame for it (although it is listed as a risk in the information sheets).

Quoting kitty8199:

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I don't understand that at all. But when sometime uses the unvaccinated kids with autism comment it's like really? The 1/81 (vax)compares to the fraction of 1% (no vax) in your eyes

Quoting Ichthus:

I agree, but many are very adamant about making the point that vaccines are NOT AT ALL to blame for it (although it is listed as a risk in the information sheets).

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmugs
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Interesting.

I remember researching this at one point, and it looked like the autism rate amongst the Amish was about 1/250.  We know the Amish vaccinate less, but we do not know how much less (the study did a lousy job of parsing out how many shots and when).  This 1/250 was gathered by psychologists goin to door-to-door and using a questionnaire as many amish might not seek diagnosis.  

The autism rate in the general public is 1/88 and in the Amish it's 1/250, so they are doing something right.  Given substantial anecdotal evidence, that "something" might be "vaccinate less."

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

I know that there are two cases in the Amish community south of me that are often sited.  What the pro-vax people fail to mention is that both children were adopted and were vaccinated prior to their adoptions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)