Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a thought to consider...

Posted by   + Show Post

One of the reasons that pro-vaccine supporters argue that Autism is not caused by vaccines is that there are cases of Autism in children who were not vaccinated. I'm wondering: Has anyone ever asked the parents of these children if and when the mother had been vaccinated? We know that so many things are passed on from the mother to her child via the womb. Example: I have heard that dietary choices made by the great grandmother while pregnant can affect the health of offspring 2-3 generations out. Has anyone ever suggested the possibility that the Autism was passed on to the child from the mother's vaccinations?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Replies (11-13):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

In the Lancaster Amish (south east, pa) there are 2 cases confirmed. I think that 1 in 250 maybe a correct stat there. 

Quoting kmugs:

Interesting.

I remember researching this at one point, and it looked like the autism rate amongst the Amish was about 1/250.  We know the Amish vaccinate less, but we do not know how much less (the study did a lousy job of parsing out how many shots and when).  This 1/250 was gathered by psychologists goin to door-to-door and using a questionnaire as many amish might not seek diagnosis.  

The autism rate in the general public is 1/88 and in the Amish it's 1/250, so they are doing something right.  Given substantial anecdotal evidence, that "something" might be "vaccinate less."

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

I know that there are two cases in the Amish community south of me that are often sited.  What the pro-vax people fail to mention is that both children were adopted and were vaccinated prior to their adoptions. 

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
snowangel1979
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM
There's also another thought with the 2/250 rate. Adoptions. Eather the child or the mother of the child being adopted.

Even if they don't vax the child anymore who knows what shots they got before placement or what shots the birth mother had during or even before pregnancy.

I've heard of the Amish taking in foster children and babies born from prison mothers.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

In the Lancaster Amish (south east, pa) there are 2 cases confirmed. I think that 1 in 250 maybe a correct stat there. 

Quoting kmugs:

Interesting.

I remember researching this at one point, and it looked like the autism rate amongst the Amish was about 1/250.  We know the Amish vaccinate less, but we do not know how much less (the study did a lousy job of parsing out how many shots and when).  This 1/250 was gathered by psychologists goin to door-to-door and using a questionnaire as many amish might not seek diagnosis.  

The autism rate in the general public is 1/88 and in the Amish it's 1/250, so they are doing something right.  Given substantial anecdotal evidence, that "something" might be "vaccinate less."

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

I know that there are two cases in the Amish community south of me that are often sited.  What the pro-vax people fail to mention is that both children were adopted and were vaccinated prior to their adoptions. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

It still probably is 1 in 250 since there are 500+ kids in the local area.  2 cases of autism is still very very low.  The Amish south of me are known for taking kids that no one else will (kids with special needs, birth defect, born to drug addicts, etc). 

Quoting snowangel1979:

There's also another thought with the 2/250 rate. Adoptions. Eather the child or the mother of the child being adopted.

Even if they don't vax the child anymore who knows what shots they got before placement or what shots the birth mother had during or even before pregnancy.

I've heard of the Amish taking in foster children and babies born from prison mothers.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Quoting kmugs:

Interesting.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN