Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New mom & member

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 372 Total Views
My name is Laurie. I'm a new mother of a seven week old infant. When I became pregnant started researching the risks and benefits of vaccinating and have chosen not to vaccinate. In search of more information and like-minded people, I joined this website specifically for this group. Happy to be here!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard! Hows the baby doing?

Quoting LaMuse620:

My name is Laurie. I'm a new mother of a seven week old infant. When I became pregnant started researching the risks and benefits of vaccinating and have chosen not to vaccinate. In search of more information and like-minded people, I joined this website specifically for this group. Happy to be here!

LaMuse620
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM
The baby's doing really well. I'm a little nervous - I did have an appointment for his WELL BABY (two months' shots) but then I emailed the doctors' office to see if how they felt about not vaccinating. At that point I was belittled via email for thinking about not vaccinating. Needless to say I have canceled his appointment. My concern is finding somebody to take him to. I looked up Dr. Sears' list and found one no-vax pediatrician but she wants $300 per visit. I just found the anti-vaccine friendly doctor thread here at CafeMom but I'm unable to find the actual list. I'm in San Francisco on Medi-Cal and don't have a lot of money.
Should I even bother taking him to the doctor unless he's ill? TIA
dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally don't do well child visits.  I only take them in if there is a concern.

Quoting LaMuse620:

The baby's doing really well. I'm a little nervous - I did have an appointment for his WELL BABY (two months' shots) but then I emailed the doctors' office to see if how they felt about not vaccinating. At that point I was belittled via email for thinking about not vaccinating. Needless to say I have canceled his appointment. My concern is finding somebody to take him to. I looked up Dr. Sears' list and found one no-vax pediatrician but she wants $300 per visit. I just found the anti-vaccine friendly doctor thread here at CafeMom but I'm unable to find the actual list. I'm in San Francisco on Medi-Cal and don't have a lot of money.
Should I even bother taking him to the doctor unless he's ill? TIA

emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

You might try looking for a family practice instead of a pedi...they are not as pushy about the issue. 

happy2bmom25
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
2 moms liked this
We also only go to the doc. When needed. My twins will be 5 in a few Weeks and habe never been to a dr.
emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are going to have to or are willing to pay out of pocket for a naturpathic dr, they will usually see infants as well

LaMuse620
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM

i would love to establish a relationship with a naturopath but they are SO expensive here in SF.  i've researched and researched and managed to find a naturopath who moonlights as a pediatrician AND takes medi-cal, but as you can imagine his waiting list is three months long.  i'm on it,  but still a little nervous about the idea of not taking baby in to see a doctor until that time. i suppose it's that old 'doctors know best' mindset that's been ingrained in the best of us.  )

Quoting emmy526:

If you are going to have to or are willing to pay out of pocket for a naturpathic dr, they will usually see infants as well

emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

well, how about the public health dept? do they do well checks, if you just want the child checked out to rule out any problems?  You can just tell them you are on a waiting list. 

Quoting LaMuse620:

i would love to establish a relationship with a naturopath but they are SO expensive here in SF.  i've researched and researched and managed to find a naturopath who moonlights as a pediatrician AND takes medi-cal, but as you can imagine his waiting list is three months long.  i'm on it,  but still a little nervous about the idea of not taking baby in to see a doctor until that time. i suppose it's that old 'doctors know best' mindset that's been ingrained in the best of us.  )

Quoting emmy526:

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Id go with a family Dr. Cali has all 3 exemptions (i believe) so finding a no vax Dr can't be that hard can it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaMuse620
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Actually California has medical & philosophical but philosophical encompasses the religion exemption. I didn't think that you had to file/present an exemption at the Pediatricians' office?
I guess I'm just going to wait for the anti-vax doctor's visit. I was just hoping to hear from other moms who have done the same that could reassure me that it's the right decision.
Thanks!

Quoting kitty8199:

Id go with a family Dr. Cali has all 3 exemptions (i believe) so finding a no vax Dr can't be that hard can it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)