Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ARGH!!! Trying to get complete shot records!!!

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 4:57 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 345 Total Views
I called our ped and told them I wanted Olivia's shot record- they acted very suspicious of me, and told me I could pick it up at the end of the week. Well, I get the so-called record, and as far as I am concerned, it was incomplete. It just had dates next to what type of shot it was, no further info, like who the manufacturer was, etc. So I call back up there, and kinda nastily told them that "if this was the extent of their record keeping, then I was NOT IMPRESSED!". It took me forever to get the list of manufacturers names, and then I get info on vacs she recieved that weren't even listed on the original copy of the shot record I had recieved. What a bunch of BS. And, they won't release her medical record to me. Don't I have a right to that???? Does anyone know the law concerning obtaining your child's med. record?
by on May. 4, 2007 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by New Member on May. 4, 2007 at 9:46 PM
Hi there. I do believe you are entitled by law to have a copy of your daughter's records. There is usually a fee involved. I used to work for our local hospitals medical records dept. At least in Texas, the hospital actually "owns" the record and therefore charges you to get copies of it.  So I would look up the laws in your state and see what exactly they say. I would think all 50 states have the same or similar laws regarding your records.

Good luck!
by New Member on May. 4, 2007 at 10:19 PM
I am not a 100% sure but I think New York is the only state that does not give patients the right to their medical records. I also believe that record keeping for vaccines is mandatory and pretty strict. A little threat to file a complaint with your state's medical association always works pretty good at getting what you want.

Isn't it nice how doctor's and their offices turn their nose up to those that take charge of their own health? It is very sad!

Good luck... demand nothing less than exactly what you's your right!
by Member on May. 5, 2007 at 10:21 PM
Hey, I work in a doctors office so I know that it can be frustrating. I do know at our office when a pt calls in to request a copy of their shot record, we have a generic form that is filled out that only has the date and shot on it. That is Usually enough for most people. School and such only require the date of the shots. But I would definitely call and ask to speak with the head nurse in charge. Because I will tell you that they have to write down exp. date and lot number of the shot in case a bad batch of shots get out and they need to track it.

Hope this helps a little bit. As u can tell I'm on both side of the issue. Those shots I believe caused my son's autism, but I deal with parents giving their kids shots everyday. Sometime I want to scream, "Don't Do It" but obvious I can't. So good luck, I hope u get everything that u need!

by on May. 10, 2007 at 9:18 PM
You may have to go in to the office and sign a release of her records.  You are allowed access to them in any state!!!  You can get them in New York as well.  If you have received static you can contact your attorney.  Sometimes merely stating that to the physcian will get the job done. (and go to the actual physician...the receptionist is just a middle man!) If you were less than pleasant with the woman, she probably will make this difficult for you!(but who could blame you, you sure had a right to be fired up!  after all it is your childs well being!  and kudos on caring enough to review her records!  It is just a showing of your character!)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)