Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do You Take Your kids to the Dr?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 453 Total Views

and what kind?  pedi,  or nd, or something else?  What prompts you to take them in? 

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM

My kids see a holistic doctor.  They were recently established as patients so now they will go yearly unless they need to be seen.

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM
They see a pediatric nd. I take them too all well visits, or if they are sick with something I can't treat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I take her when she's sick. She had croup, about 2 weeks ago. She's still got swollen glands and started complaining about her ears.

She has her first ear infection at 2. The Dr said the glands just mean her immune system is working.

He's not a medication pushing Dr, but gave her antibiotics. Her ears must have been bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjmloper
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM
The only time I've taken my kids in the last 5 years is when one had bronchitis and the other had to have his tonsils out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Presley77
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM
We see an ND pediatrician. And go for well checks and nothing else so far, knock on wood!
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM
We see a family doctor. As I learn more anout treating at home, we go less and less. Last year, between the seven of us, we went three.times (and one was to introduce the newborn and do the one week checkup).

Interestingly enough, I went this summer to the after hours clinic and saw a different doctor in the practice. Caleb was five months old, had been sick for a month with a lot of congestion, I was sleeping with him on my chest at nightwhile I slept sitting up, he would begin to choke and no sound or breath would come out, his arms would flail as he turned red, finally he would gasp and make terrible choking sounds, and then go back to sleep. I told the doctor all of this. The doctor determined there was no infection tand just a bad cold with a lot of phlegm. He suggested cough syrup.

I went home and the next week my daughter got sick, soon followed by the other three boys.

Yep. . . . PERTUSSIS! WHOOPING COUGH!!!

We treated the others at home and never went back to the doctor. I now feel fairly confident that we can skip the doctor the majority of the time. :)
BEXi
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM

We are on medicaid, so I go to well check ups to give them one less excuse to harass me.

mjrex87
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I take DD to all well visits, to a regular pedi. She's fantastic and I like having a good relationship with a doctor should I really need her in the future.

kmugs
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

medical doctor - when they are sick.  

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I JUST found a naturopath who we'll begin seeing next week for our well-child check-ups.  !!!  (I'll keep my Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner just in case of a "medical" accident, though!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)