Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice - tetanus

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 869 Total Views

My daughter was playing outside and a rusty nail went through her boot. She has a wound that I can not tell if it's just surface or a deep puncture. She's walking on it, and was not acting as if it was very painful, and it did not swell, puss, or get red. I squeezed it to make it bleed, cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, soaked in epsom salt, applied coconut oil, and manuka honey (at seperate times) and she has not had a fever. But I also know that the incubation period can be weeks to months. I took her in to get it looked at, but the doctor hardly even looked at it and just prescribed antibiotics. So, I guess I'm wondering if I should try to get the TIG shot, or is there anything else I can be doing to prevent the possibility of tetanus? The amount the wound bled did not relieve my worry, and I wish I knew how to tell how deep the wound actually is, bceause then I could relax. My worry is it's deeper than it seems and that part of the wound did not bleed out.

I attached a picture, and yes, there are two wounds.  the bigger one is the one I'm questioning the depth of.  I believe she felt it and try to pull off of it and the nail pierced twice.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rich_In_Love113
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Here's a picture with the nail, but just so you know the nail looks much bigger than it really is compared to the wound just because of it being closer to the camera.  I compared the wound size to the nail and it doesn't seem like the widest part of the nail would fit, but it does seem like most of the tip could fit.,

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Doesn't look deep.  What kind of area do you live in.  I know tetanus is more common in farm/rural areas than the more urban areas.  I think you have up to 72 hours to get the TIG if that would make you feel better. 

dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM
2 moms liked this
She's not at risk for tetanus with that wound. Tetanus can not survive in the presence of oxygen, rust is oxygenation of metal. I'm assuming the nail was also out in the open when she stepped on it? Not buried underground or in feces, further making it impossible, again, oxygen. Blood contains oxygen, so bleeding would kill tetanus, ditto with the peroxide. You have no reason to worry =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM

i agree with dedicatedrider! the type of care you took of the wound makes the risk of tetanus highly unlikely. 

Rich_In_Love113
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM

We live near a nature reserve, so lots of deer, turkeys, geese, racoons, fox, and the neighbor's cats are all found roaming around our yard frequently.  Not sure if it's linked to a certain type of manure, or animal feces in general.  I'm considering the TIG just because I don't feel like it bled well if it is a puncture with any depth, but I don't know how to tell if it's a puncture or more of a laceration...

Rich_In_Love113
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Ya, see my gut tells me it's not very deep, but like I said, if it is deep, then the amount it bled makes me very uneasy.  I squeezed it and it was just the blood from the surface of the cut I was able to get to bleed.  There was very little blood and if there's a puncture, then it definitely didn't bleed out from inside the wound.

Rich_In_Love113
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

And about the nail, I'm not sure where it came from!  the boys next door are always getting into things like wood piles behind neighbor's sheds and things, and so I'm assuming they brought this board out from somewhere because it was just lying in our shared yard.

dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Was the entire nail exposed to the open air prior to being stepped on? If so, there is absolutely, positively, no way that tetanus bacteria could have been on the nail because exposure to oxygen kills it.

Quoting Rich_In_Love113:

Ya, see my gut tells me it's not very deep, but like I said, if it is deep, then the amount it bled makes me very uneasy.  I squeezed it and it was just the blood from the surface of the cut I was able to get to bleed.  There was very little blood and if there's a puncture, then it definitely didn't bleed out from inside the wound.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Cows and horses.

The you get tetanus from rusty nails is a myth.
I agree with the previous poster, you should be good.
Just don't put to much on the outside to make it heal fast. If it is a puncture wound you want it to heal from inside out. So it doesn't trap infection inside.

Quoting Rich_In_Love113:

We live near a nature reserve, so lots of deer, turkeys, geese, racoons, fox, and the neighbor's cats are all found roaming around our yard frequently.  Not sure if it's linked to a certain type of manure, or animal feces in general.  I'm considering the TIG just because I don't feel like it bled well if it is a puncture with any depth, but I don't know how to tell if it's a puncture or more of a laceration...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah321
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM

just want to say...I am pretty sure the tetanus spores can be on anything, exposed to air or not, but then once inside a wound the spores would need an anaerobic environment in order to activate...

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Was the entire nail exposed to the open air prior to being stepped on? If so, there is absolutely, positively, no way that tetanus bacteria could have been on the nail because exposure to oxygen kills it.

Quoting Rich_In_Love113:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN