Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

 My daughter was playing outside and a rusty nail went through her boot. She has a wound that I can not tell if it's just surface or a deep puncture. She's walking on it, and was not acting as if it was very painful, and it did not swell, puss, or get red. I squeezed it to make it bleed, cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, soaked in epsom salt, applied coconut oil, and manuka honey (at seperate times) and she has not had a fever. But I also know that the incubation period can be weeks to months. I took her in to get it looked at, but the doctor hardly even looked at it and just prescribed antibiotics. So, I guess I'm wondering if I should try to get the TIG shot, or is there anything else I can be doing to prevent the possibility of tetanus? The amount the wound bled did not relieve my worry, and I wish I knew how to tell how deep the wound actually is, bceause then I could relax. My worry is it's deeper than it seems and that part of the wound did not bleed out.

I attached a picture, and yes, there are two wounds.  the bigger one is the one I'm questioning the depth of.  I believe she felt it and try to pull off of it and the nail pierced twice.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Replies (11-16):
dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM

They aren't spores, tetanus is a bacteria, bacteria that dies in the presence of oxygen, they don't just spring back to life once oxygen isn't present any longer.

Quoting Sarah321:


just want to say...I am pretty sure the tetanus spores can be on anything, exposed to air or not, but then once inside a wound the spores would need an anaerobic environment in order to activate...

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Was the entire nail exposed to the open air prior to being stepped on? If so, there is absolutely, positively, no way that tetanus bacteria could have been on the nail because exposure to oxygen kills it.


Quoting Rich_In_Love113:

Ya, see my gut tells me it's not very deep, but like I said, if it is deep, then the amount it bled makes me very uneasy.  I squeezed it and it was just the blood from the surface of the cut I was able to get to bleed.  There was very little blood and if there's a puncture, then it definitely didn't bleed out from inside the wound.






           

Sarah321
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

 

Clostridium tetani produces terminal spores within a swollen sporangium giving it a distinctive drumstick appearance. Although the bacterium has a typical Gram-positive cell wall, it may stain Gram-negative or Gram-variable, especially in older cells.

The bacterium has a strictly anaerobic type of metabolism and will not grow under aerobic conditions.  In fact, vegetative cells are killed by exposure to O2, although their spores are able to survive long periods of exposure to air and other deleterious conditions........................

Most cases of tetanus result from small puncture wounds or lacerations which become contaminated with C. tetani spores that germinate and produce toxin

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/themicrobialworld/Tetanus.html

 


 

Quoting dedicatedrider:

They aren't spores, tetanus is a bacteria, bacteria that dies in the presence of oxygen, they don't just spring back to life once oxygen isn't present any longer.

Quoting Sarah321:

 

just want to say...I am pretty sure the tetanus spores can be on anything, exposed to air or not, but then once inside a wound the spores would need an anaerobic environment in order to activate...

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Was the entire nail exposed to the open air prior to being stepped on? If so, there is absolutely, positively, no way that tetanus bacteria could have been on the nail because exposure to oxygen kills it.


Quoting Rich_In_Love113:

Ya, see my gut tells me it's not very deep, but like I said, if it is deep, then the amount it bled makes me very uneasy.  I squeezed it and it was just the blood from the surface of the cut I was able to get to bleed.  There was very little blood and if there's a puncture, then it definitely didn't bleed out from inside the wound.


 

 

 

 


 

wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM

i know this is anecdotal, but im unvaccinated and grew up barefoot and rambunctious around horses my entire life. one time i got a serious facial wound from a dug-up piece of metal a kid threw at me and i did get a TIG injection [this was at age 5 and the only shot ive ever received]. i did not, however, get the follow-up regular tetanus shot, so theoretically, if i was at risk for getting tetanus, i should have gotten tetanus. its harder to get than you think!

also, do more research on the disease itself. it may calm your nerves. i know a guy in georgia, fully vaccinated, who got tetanus as a kid. his leg was partially paralyzed for a short time [a few weeks, if i recall correctly]. no lasting effects.

Rich_In_Love113
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice.

liliem
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Tetanus lives in soil. So if the nail was in the soil than there would be a chance for tetanus to take hold. If the doc gave you antibiotics I would think you are fine....? 

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I'm surprised the doctor didn't press you to get the tetanus shot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)