Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family dog & annual vaccinations

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 311 Total Views
1 mom liked this
It took ALOT of enrgy and research for me to convince my DH that I ABSOLUTELY did NOT WANY TO VAX my (our) son. DH now knows I am super opinionated aboit no-vax, AND DH doesnt ask me about it. (i wish he would ask, so he himself could have a better undersatanding. But he doesnt.
QUESTION IS: his (our) dog has a vet appt for rabies and something else on April 2nd. How would you tell DH to "re-consider" not vax the dog?

I just believe in my heart, that the dog, just like a human, has a difficult time with all the chemicals...
And..since my husband is still a,sheeple, he doesnt get my "no vax" attitude for my (our) son.

The dog is a bit neurotic, almost OCD about tennis balls and he is crazy bark bark when DH leaves house w/o him. DH says it is just the "Germam Shorthair" genes.

***we also have a, 1yr old son who the dog is o.k with, but o also am concerned that dog could /wpuld have a change in tempramemt after vax.

I dont rock the boat with my DH on the topic , althoigh I would LOVE TO!! But he has.a terrible problem with Interrupting me and trying to finish my sentences.....soooo I get quite fumed at hom(most days)...so I qiuickly remind MYSELF.....DH agreed to no-vax, ne thankful. End of story.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM

We have cats and still do rabies only.  There is a local law about vaxing your dog for rabies and it may be required to have a dog license where you are.  Also rabies is not treatable in animals so there is another aspect of the shot.  The rabies shot does appear to work (at least all the data I've seen says so).  Just look at each illness you dog would be vaxed against, like you probably did with your child, and make he decesion from there.  Also look up your state's pet laws.  Many states do require rabies. 

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM

This.  

While I don't have a problem vaxing our dog, we only do rabies (because it is the law and I see no need to pay for the other vaccines).

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

We have cats and still do rabies only.  There is a local law about vaxing your dog for rabies and it may be required to have a dog license where you are.  Also rabies is not treatable in animals so there is another aspect of the shot.  The rabies shot does appear to work (at least all the data I've seen says so).  Just look at each illness you dog would be vaxed against, like you probably did with your child, and make he decesion from there.  Also look up your state's pet laws.  Many states do require rabies. 

wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM

dogs [and other animals, especially cats] are very sensitive to vaccines. theres actually a huge group of vets who are making a movement against the aggression of pet vaccines. and theres a group on facebook called "pet vaccine education."

a lot of vets believe that there is no need for the annual boosters after the puppy/kitten series. and especially the annual rabies vaccine, which is actually a pretty scary vaccines if you research it. i deeply regret allowing my dog to get that shot. im so glad he didnt have a reaction, as hes a pretty sensitive pooch. i also allowed him to get the first puppy shot when he was 6 weeks old, and i wonder if thats not why he has digestive issues. :\

the rabies vaccine is required by state. but to be perfectly honest, no one will know unless you have your pet licensed [which is required in most states if you live within city limits.. but who is checking? no one has come knocking on my door yet!]. most vets do require that your pet have vaccines, especially the rabies, before accepting them as a patient. but i have found two that were fine with no shots. and a piece about the other shots.. you know you can buy the vaccines at the store. a lot of people "do their own shots".. and the only means of recording them is writing it on a piece of paper, or by memory. the vets dont know any different if you fib. all im saying is that there are ways around the shots if you dont feel comfortable with them. vets are less catering to unvaccinated pets than pediatricians are to unvaccinated children. i think thats wrong, as there is clear evidence that vaccines are causing a ton of problems in our pets. the excessive use of the vaccines, mostly. you dont see children getting annual boosters! maybe pets immune systems dont retain memory as well and need the constant boosters to keep antibody levels high..but you cannot, *cannot* disregard the adjuvents and other chemicals! dogs and cats have it hard enough with their new corn-based diet, getting a freakish amount of injections is toooo much!

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Vets by me are required to report if you pet is not utd on rabies and licensed.  I agree that there are too many vaxes.  We only do the rabies every 2-3 years.  We do live where there are woods however and the risk of rabies does exist.  Also rabies is not treatable if you live in an area with a rabies risk.  I am not sure if you are aware of not but Blue Buffalo makes a grain free pet food. 

Quoting wolfybaby:

dogs [and other animals, especially cats] are very sensitive to vaccines. theres actually a huge group of vets who are making a movement against the aggression of pet vaccines. and theres a group on facebook called "pet vaccine education."

a lot of vets believe that there is no need for the annual boosters after the puppy/kitten series. and especially the annual rabies vaccine, which is actually a pretty scary vaccines if you research it. i deeply regret allowing my dog to get that shot. im so glad he didnt have a reaction, as hes a pretty sensitive pooch. i also allowed him to get the first puppy shot when he was 6 weeks old, and i wonder if thats not why he has digestive issues. :\

the rabies vaccine is required by state. but to be perfectly honest, no one will know unless you have your pet licensed [which is required in most states if you live within city limits.. but who is checking? no one has come knocking on my door yet!]. most vets do require that your pet have vaccines, especially the rabies, before accepting them as a patient. but i have found two that were fine with no shots. and a piece about the other shots.. you know you can buy the vaccines at the store. a lot of people "do their own shots".. and the only means of recording them is writing it on a piece of paper, or by memory. the vets dont know any different if you fib. all im saying is that there are ways around the shots if you dont feel comfortable with them. vets are less catering to unvaccinated pets than pediatricians are to unvaccinated children. i think thats wrong, as there is clear evidence that vaccines are causing a ton of problems in our pets. the excessive use of the vaccines, mostly. you dont see children getting annual boosters! maybe pets immune systems dont retain memory as well and need the constant boosters to keep antibody levels high..but you cannot, *cannot* disregard the adjuvents and other chemicals! dogs and cats have it hard enough with their new corn-based diet, getting a freakish amount of injections is toooo much!

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM

really? the vet i took my dog to for his neutering didnt even ask me if he was licensed. im glad, cause i dont want to get him licensed. :P

there are tons of woods here, too, so yea the risk of rabies is real. thats the only reason i let him get it in the first place.. but really hes such an inside dog and he doesnt run away or roam in the woods..

blue buffalo is too expensive! i like taste of the wild. ;P

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Vets by me are required to report if you pet is not utd on rabies and licensed.  I agree that there are too many vaxes.  We only do the rabies every 2-3 years.  We do live where there are woods however and the risk of rabies does exist.  Also rabies is not treatable if you live in an area with a rabies risk.  I am not sure if you are aware of not but Blue Buffalo makes a grain free pet food. 

Quoting wolfybaby:

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Depends on the state.  As I said where I live they are required to.  Even if your dog doesn't run off their is still the risk of raccoons, possums, and other critters carrying rabies.  There is a 3 year shot that carries less risk than the 1 year booster.  Blue Buffalo can be purchased in bulk for a comparable price to other foods. You need to price compare at different stores. 

Quoting wolfybaby:

really? the vet i took my dog to for his neutering didnt even ask me if he was licensed. im glad, cause i dont want to get him licensed. :P

there are tons of woods here, too, so yea the risk of rabies is real. thats the only reason i let him get it in the first place.. but really hes such an inside dog and he doesnt run away or roam in the woods..

blue buffalo is too expensive! i like taste of the wild. ;P

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Quoting wolfybaby:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
aeroslove
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I wouldnt Vaxx a dog either. well i love boxers and we want two full breeds one day but i also heard they naturally get sick with different things. I have a list some where on my bookmarks. anyway the dog should be looked at and taken to the vet. it can get expensive with Vet bills, meds and surgery. I havent researched much on what to do if you dont Vaccinate a dog or natural medicine remedies.

sweetangie79
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

We just putt our dogs on Nutro and they love it.  I refuse to vaccinate my animals.

magicmind
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I have a yorkie who stays inside mostly. She had the 8 weeks shots done by the breeder and the rabies shot because she had to go to Canada. But no other. My vet is OK with not vaccinating to death a small dog. He was even joking about the rabies shot saying that the law says to give the rabies vaccine anytime after 3 months but it doesn't specify an upper age limit, so technically I could give it one day before her death and I would be still legal.

JoJoBean8
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM
We do rabies for our cats because it's against law not to give rabies shots.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)