Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Immunization and SIDS

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 367 Total Views

http://www.firstcandle.org/

IMMUNIZATIONS AND SIDS

Unfortunately, at the current time, no vaccination exists that will prevent SIDS. Conversely, no vaccination has ever been found to cause SIDS. SIDS has been documented to occur in infants who never received any immunizations. In addition, it should be noted that the peak incidence period for SIDS – between 2 and 4 months of age – also occurs in countries with different immunization schedules. Because of the coincidence in time frame between the recommended schedule for shots in the U.S. and the peak incidence of SIDS, a number of federal studies during the 1980’s sought to correlate a causal relationship between the two, without success. Findings from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) multi-center, case control study (published in April of 1987) revealed that only 2 of 145 SIDS victims had received a DPT shot within 24 hours of death. Ongoing studies into SIDS and vaccinations continue to confirm earlier findings.

In addition, claims that immunizations increase the risk of SIDS are not supported by the scientific data.

Immunization has not been isolated as a risk factor for SIDS and, in fact, babies who receive their scheduled shots are less likely to die of SIDS. Maintaining immunization schedules contributes to the overall health and well being of the vast majority of children. Most reactions to the vaccines are usually mild. While we are aware that serious adverse outcomes such as high fever, seizures, convulsions and even death – though rare – may occur in a very few children, the risk of leaving a child unprotected against such dangerous diseases as tetanus or whooping cough is thousands of times greater than any risk posed by using the vaccines.

It is on this basis, and ongoing studies in this area, that First Candle/SIDS Alliance continues to support the American Academy of Pediatrics and NICHD position that urges new parents to follow proper immunization schedules for their babies. According to studies as recently as 2001, thousands of children in the U.S. will develop serious illnesses such as measles and mumps each year that could have been prevented by immunizations. Pertussis, or whooping cough, infected 2, 835 children and caused 17 deaths in 2001 alone. Many parents may not know that immunizations must begin in infancy. Children who lag behind in getting immunizations are at risk of getting sick and may spread serious diseases to others. In order to obtain the safest, most effective results from the immunizations, babies must gradually be exposed to the vaccines starting from an early age, as outlined in current immunization schedules.

For more information call 1.800.221.7437 or visit http://www.firstcandle.org/

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjrex87
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM

"babies who receive their scheduled shots are less likely to die of SIDS"

In this context, it makes it sound like vaccines help prevent SIDS.

"dangerous diseases as tetanus or whooping cough is thousands of times greater than any risk posed by using the vaccines."

Oh, my, yes... Whooping cough is THOUSANDS of times more dangerous than ANY risk posed by using the vaccine. Aaaand....this was the previous sentence:

"While we are aware that serious adverse outcomes such as high fever, seizures, convulsions and even death – though rare –may occur in a very few children"

Yea, Whooping Cough is thousands of times more dangerous than death. SMH. 

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I wonder why sids is listed in the package inserts as a side effect. And why its important to differentiate between sids and death. Hmmm...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I wonder why SIDS swells at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months (vaccine intervals) and why it's listed in the package insert if there's no relation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I'm sure all the parents who lost babies in infancy following vaccinations would feel very differently about their 'findings',,,,i find this is a very provax article found in mainstream media meant to assuage parents and make them 'feel better' about subjecting their children to this risky so called 'preventive health care'.  Furthermore, the article discusses nothing about long term health damage caused by vaccines.   

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Wasn't there a Japanesse study in the 1990's that linked the TDaP/DTaP with SIDS with an increased risk of 70% of so. I thought that I saw that in several places when I did all my research 2 years ago.
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Yes. That one lists SIDS in the insert.
Also when Japan went back to vaccination at age 2, SIDS went to almost zero.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Wasn't there a Japanesse study in the 1990's that linked the TDaP/DTaP with SIDS with an increased risk of 70% of so. I thought that I saw that in several places when I did all my research 2 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loa1002
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I don't understand how a vaccine could prevent SIDS (vaccines contain viruses and bacteria) especially when they are the main cause 2-6 months of age. Also explain to me how SIDS is on manufacture's inserts. Vaccines can cause SIDS.

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Quoting emmy526:

I'm sure all the parents who lost babies in infancy following vaccinations would feel very differently about their 'findings',,,,i find this is a very provax article found in mainstream media meant to assuage parents and make them 'feel better' about subjecting their children to this risky so called 'preventive health care'.  Furthermore, the article discusses nothing about long term health damage caused by vaccines.   

I completely agree!  This was found on a SIDS Awareness website. 

And what I found equally disturbing was that it listed absolutely no sources for any of its outlandish statements. Many people will simply (and wrongly) take their word as the truth.  :(

emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM

is there any way to go back  to the page the article is on and leave a comment saying that?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting emmy526:

I completely agree!  This was found on a SIDS Awareness website. 

And what I found equally disturbing was that it listed absolutely no sources for any of its outlandish statements. Many people will simply (and wrongly) take their word as the truth.  :(

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting emmy526:

is there any way to go back  to the page the article is on and leave a comment saying that?

Unfortunately, no.  It is simply a downloadable paper on the topic with no place to leave visible comments.  I did, however, write to them on their "Contact Us" page with the following:

I do appreciate your work, but as you do not cite any sources it is foolish for parents to take your article "Immunizations and SIDS" seriously.  Your arguments would be made much stronger if you were able to cite credible, current studies and medical research.

With hope it will make them re-read their paper and consider looking into the information a bit deeper...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)