Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help - Eczema

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 149 Total Views

Hi all,

I know this is kind of off topic, but I need help. My son is just about 5 months old & after his second hep b at 1 month old, he developed eczema pretty bad. I have stopped vaccines since then. I am breastfeeding and keep a pretty strict diet. Coffee in the morning, plain oatmeal, fruit, nuts, seeds, veggies and chicken for dinner. Sometimes I have stove popped popcorn at night, I don't know if all of this is relevant, but I need help. Are any of these allergens that I should avoid?

How often should I be bathing him while dealing with this? What kinds of lotions/soaps should I use to help the eczema? Are there any oils or herbal remedies? Really, what can I do besides going to the doctor and getting a prescription for this... I want to go as natural as possible, but also be safe about it. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
If he's on any solids, cut them out and see what happens.
Cut out dairy. If that doesn't work, cut soy. Then gluten. If its cleared up you can start adding one thing back in at a time to see if it comes back, then you've found the problem.
Eczema is often related to a food allergy, it's always best to correct the issue than to medicate (obviously you know that).

While you're searching for the cause, you can massage jojoba oil on him to help clear it up. If it doesn't go away, you haven't found the cause.

GL. I hope he feels better! And good job postponing vaccines for now, it seems rare that a mom will do that after any reaction, but it's so important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

You can put coconut oil on the patches and my ped suggested hydrocortisone, which we use sometimes if they are really bad. We have used both for eczema and they work pretty good. Dd is 8 months old and has had it for at least 4 months, I can't remember exactly when it started showing up. But we bathe her every 3 or 4 days and use california baby shampoo/body wash and the soap doesn't irritate her skin. One thing you should watch is the water temperature in the bath, the warmer the water the more it will irritate the eczema.

emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

coconut oil/creme/butter is best for excema, or tea tree oil

emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

you also might want to do your own latex allergy test at home as well since there is latex in the vaccine packaging and could have cross contaminated...the easiest way to find out is to just lay a latex glove on his skin for a couple minutes, and see if the rash gets worse...if not, he's most likely not allergic to it..i am allergic to latex, and it's like someone putting acid on my skin when touched with it

emillz92
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM

My son inherited it from his father and grandfather, so it didn't have anything to do with allergies, and he's only had 1 hep b vax. He's 6 months old and was officially diagnosed at 2 months.. We use Aquaphor by Eucerin- the severe dryness stuff that comes in a canister/tub; it helps clear it up pretty well, and we apply it at least once, sometimes twice a day. We also use hydrocortisone cream if he gets itchy and it seems to help. Right now, we only bathe him once a week because of course soap is drying to all skin, and his eczema seems to flare up the day or two following his bath. Be sure to rinse him off really well to make sure there's no soap left on his skin. and sponge bathe him at other times if you feel he needs it. You shouldn't need drugs to help fight it unless it really gets severe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN