Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Measles Outbreak and Email from Pedi

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 378 Total Views

So we just saw a new pediatrician yesterday. Everything was okay, he didnt grill me too hard about the boys immunizations, but today I got a personal email from him:

"You should be aware that there is a measles outbreak in Orange and Stokes counties.  Thus far there have been 7 confirmed cases, all of which were in unimmunized children.  Signs of measles are primarily fever + rash, but also cold symptoms, eye infections.  As I'm sure you are aware, measles can cause severe infection of the brain in the time of infection, and 7-10 years after infection in some people it caues neurological deterioration, vegetative state, seizures and death.  This is why we typically vaccinate against the disease.  It is very important that if Eli and Zachary have new rash with fever that you call the Roxboro Rd Duke clinic and talk to the physician or nurse on call to further determine if they are infected.  If there is concern over the phone, we will try to coordinate a time for them to come to clinic when there are no other children there to be evaluated, so they don't risk infecting others.  In case of an emergency or any seizures, altered mental status/confusion, or severe headache, go to the emergency department immediately and let the intake nurse know that they are unimmunized and about any concern for measles so they can appropriately triage the kids and notify infection control.

With any other questions, please call the pediatric resident on call at _______ and ask the Duke operator for pediatric doctor on call.  While I do check my e-mail it is unreliable means of quick information as I don't always check every day.

Stay safe!

Dr. M, MD"

Anyone know a way to check to see how true this is? The articles I am finding do not state whether or not the confirmed cases were vaccinated or not. I have a feeling they were all babies too young for the vaccine but I dont know for sure.

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BEXi
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

This is all I can find... "

Stokes County Health Director tells WFMY News 2 there are four confirmed cases and two more under investigation. He said of the four confirmed, two were home-schooled children. The other two confirmed cases were young adults.

The Stokes County measles cases have been traced back to a man in his 20s, however, health officials don't know how he contracted the disease."

BEXi
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Funny, only two of the confirmed cases are children.. the others so far known are adults.

Am I being fear mongered here? LOL Not that its going to work.

TotallyConfused
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
It could be fear mongering I guess, but my take on it is more along the lines of helpful info for you...

It could be that all the cases are unvaccinated, and as it says "young adults" they could be 18 ish but either way, he gave you the heads up that there is a small local outbreak, what to watch for & the numbers to call if your kids get sick as well....

I'd say it's cautiously optimistic....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I already knew about it, but yeah I guess it's "nice".

I just dont appreciate him saying ALL confirmed cases were in immunized children when thats not true.

Quoting TotallyConfused:

It could be fear mongering I guess, but my take on it is more along the lines of helpful info for you...

It could be that all the cases are unvaccinated, and as it says "young adults" they could be 18 ish but either way, he gave you the heads up that there is a small local outbreak, what to watch for & the numbers to call if your kids get sick as well....

mjrex87
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM
4 moms liked this

It sounds condescending to me and yes, fear mongering. Like he just knows that your children are going to get measles because they aren't vaccinated. I'm assuming he didn't send anything to the vaccinated children's parents because it's impossible for them to get it...unless of course they come into contact with your non-vaccinated disease spreaders :-p

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Haha, 7 is an outbreak now? SEVEN?! Yeah, I'd say fear Mongering. But take this opportunity to research measles- what happens, how it's spread, natural ways to prevent and cure it (vitamin a does that btw), so when you see him next time you can say, "thanks for the email about measles, I learned these things and am not worried about it."

Seriously though, SEVEN?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Glad Im not the only one rolling my eyes here.. I think they just might fall out of my head.

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Personally, I would respond with an email like this and try to get more information from him about it:

Dr. X

Thank you for taking the time to inform me of the signs of measles.  I will most certainly bring my children in to the clinic if I feel they need attention.

I would like to pass this information to others in the community who I know are unvaxxed, yet I do not want to spread unsubstanciated claims or participate in fear-mongering.   Perhaps you can send me the information you have about the recent outbreak of seven confirmed cases in unimmunized children?  I assume these cases have all been reported to the county health departments?  

I look forward to hearing more details from you about this serious measels outbreak in our area.

Sincerely,

XX

Quoting BEXi:

I already knew about it, but yeah I guess it's "nice".

I just dont appreciate him saying ALL confirmed cases were in immunized children when thats not true.

Quoting TotallyConfused:

rachelrothchild
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

7 confirmed cases of measles?  Who cares!

starbuck75
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Go to: http://vaxtruth.org/2012/01/putting-measles-into-perspective/ His letter to you is propaganda/scare tactics. He cannot prove to you that it happened in children who were vaccinated - they say this every time even if they were vax'd because they don't want people to know vaccinated children continue to catch the disease. When they give the statistics, They never tell the public how many deaths were among adults nor do they tell the public whether these people were previously immuno-comprimised. Neither do they talk aobut the value of treatment. Measles kills when it causes secondary infections. If it were cared for properly and better still - the lazy and greedy medical mainstream put their efforts into treatments that would allow for nautral immunity - mealses would not progress to the secondary infeciton stage. My brother caught it when we were children, and I sat by his bedside and read to him and never caught it - though I did develop titers. (By the way, you can have your children's titers tested for all these childhood diseases, and if they have titers that is as good as them being vaccinated by law).

There is alwasy a "risk" of dying of ANYTHING. Life involves risks. If he had sent the letter to me, I would repsond with the letter below:

Dear Doctor ________, I do not appreciate the threatening and clearly propagandized letter you sent to me. I hereby invoke the Freedom of Information Act and ask that you produce solid proof that there are seven cases of measles in my vicinity in CHILDREN.(he'll counter back with how that would violate HIPPA laws and say he cant show you).

Further, I need proof that these person were truly unvaccinated. If you had taken the time to read the package insert, you would see that the rubella protion of this vaccines contains aborted HUMAN fetus, and this goes against our religious beliefs. Furthermore, you would see that the manufacturer admits this vaccine carries numerous risks including but not limited to: (and list them here. You will find the risks at the website listed below). In addition, far too many parents are certain this vaccine caused or triggerred autism in their children. The prevalence of autism among vaccinated children is now just too large to ignore.

If my child gets measles, we will use good treatment practices to avoid the secondary infections usually attributing to death from this disease. My child should make a full recovery in 2 -3 weeks and then have lifetime immunity.  Autism and the medical comorbidities that come with it last a LIFETIME.

The MMR cannot give my child lifetime immunity.   The risks of this shot - since there are no synergistic studies validating its safety or effectiveness, are too greteat, so we respectfully decline.

If you can produce definitive safety studies, proof of prevalence and death in children, and synergistic study results NOT paid for by persons or agencies with conflicts of interests, please do so. We also requst that you reveal any other relevant information such as previous immune issues in person who succumbed to this disease, then we can weigh the risks vs. the benefits in an educated manner. Also, we will require you to take a test to show that you ever bothered to read the package insert yourself.

Sincerely, (and sign your name)

Globally, there is only a 0.0000328% of any of the world's 6 BILLION people dying of measles. More die each year of ulcers, car accidents, murder, and diabetes and many other things...uh...but there's one difference about measles: Pediatricians and family physicians derive as much as forty percent of their income from pushing vaccines and Merck makes ONE BILLION in pure profit off this vaccine alone by pushing it into children via payoffs to governments(senators, congressmen, the CDC, and in the UK members of parliament) to get the shots mandated - many who by the way are usually huge stock holders in pharmaceutical companies because they make good profits, and these people get a large return on their investments. Go to: http://thinktwice.com/mmr.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)