Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Measles Outbreak and Email from Pedi

Posted by   + Show Post

So we just saw a new pediatrician yesterday. Everything was okay, he didnt grill me too hard about the boys immunizations, but today I got a personal email from him:

"You should be aware that there is a measles outbreak in Orange and Stokes counties.  Thus far there have been 7 confirmed cases, all of which were in unimmunized children.  Signs of measles are primarily fever + rash, but also cold symptoms, eye infections.  As I'm sure you are aware, measles can cause severe infection of the brain in the time of infection, and 7-10 years after infection in some people it caues neurological deterioration, vegetative state, seizures and death.  This is why we typically vaccinate against the disease.  It is very important that if Eli and Zachary have new rash with fever that you call the Roxboro Rd Duke clinic and talk to the physician or nurse on call to further determine if they are infected.  If there is concern over the phone, we will try to coordinate a time for them to come to clinic when there are no other children there to be evaluated, so they don't risk infecting others.  In case of an emergency or any seizures, altered mental status/confusion, or severe headache, go to the emergency department immediately and let the intake nurse know that they are unimmunized and about any concern for measles so they can appropriately triage the kids and notify infection control.

With any other questions, please call the pediatric resident on call at _______ and ask the Duke operator for pediatric doctor on call.  While I do check my e-mail it is unreliable means of quick information as I don't always check every day.

Stay safe!

Dr. M, MD"

Anyone know a way to check to see how true this is? The articles I am finding do not state whether or not the confirmed cases were vaccinated or not. I have a feeling they were all babies too young for the vaccine but I dont know for sure.

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Replies (11-13):
starbuck75
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM
The young adult cases could be previously vaccinated as children but either the vaccine didn't work or it wore off - because unless a person keeps getting boosters for the rest of their lives, vaccines wear off. There is really no way to tell from one person to the next whether any vaccine actually garnered immunity or whether that person just wasn't ever going to contract an illness in the first place.
bonnie555
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Measles.htm

Quite a balanced article. Your pedi is just following his training...

I know measles can be dangerous but sadly the vaccine is even more dangerous. It's tough to be in our position because we know too much! If there was a safer way to prevent diseases, some of them, I would welcome it. As it is, I haven't put one toxin into either of my kids.

liliem
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I would ask him where he got that information so that you can look into it and make an informed decision. I would also ask him why he feels the need to clear his practice for your unvaxed kids will infect vaxed if they are supposedly immune? And I would also ask him what the chances for "severe infection of the brain in the time of infection, and 7-10 years after infection in some people it caues neurological deterioration, vegetative state, seizures and death." are.

I hate fear-mongerers... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN