Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catholic School

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 295 Total Views

My oldest daughter was delay vaxed when she was young. She goes to a Catholic School. It was the school I went to growing up and it is alot better education and is a very loving enviroment. I just found out that they will not accept an exemption. My youngest is unvaxed and only 16 months old. I can not imagine sending her to the public school here, really can't even wrap my mind around it. Our local chiropractor tried to enroll his daughter in preschool. This is how I found out they wont take exemptions. He said the principal felt terrible turning him away and obviously didn't want to do it but the decision has been made by the Bishop for all schools in the diocese so it is not her call. Any ideas? Once blood brain barrier is formed is it as bad to vax slowly starting at 3? I really don't want to chose between education and health...devasted by this news. Homeschooling is not an option for me. 

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally if I were told I couldn't send my children to a particular school without vaccinating them, I would search for a new school to send them to...

We'll have this bridge to cross in a few years, and I don't envy your position...

Out of curiosity, why is homeschooling not an option?  Some parents get the whole shebang done in a few hours per day, and it doesn't have to be Monday through Friday.  There is a lot of flexiblity in homeschooling...

Barrielg2004
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Find out if the school accepts any state funding. If they do they should have to accept the state exemption (at least they so in Pa). I hope that helps
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ria7
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM
They only get $ for low income families lunches. The lunch program is separate from school. I'm just in a small town, work full time. I just dont want to homeschool. Only have the catholic school and the public school. No other options. Our catholic school is 30% non catholic enrollment just because it is a good " Christian" school with a great education.
JoJoBean8
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
My dd is starting kindergarten in the fall at a Parochial school. They accepted a religious waiver with no problems. If they get money from the state they have to Accept waivers.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Honesty I would never reconsider vaccinating because a school wouldn't accept me. I'd go through hell and high water to keep that stuff out of my kids.
emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

since they get no funds for education, then they are not obligated to adhere to state laws on the issue.  Lunch funding is considered agricultural, not educational, and does not fall in the same category that is in accordance with state vax laws. 

Quoting ria7:

They only get $ for low income families lunches. The lunch program is separate from school. I'm just in a small town, work full time. I just dont want to homeschool. Only have the catholic school and the public school. No other options. Our catholic school is 30% non catholic enrollment just because it is a good " Christian" school with a great education.

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I'd find another school. I'd never risk my child's life and future health. Maybe try explaining why you're against it.
When a catholic find out about aborted babies in them, they may change their mind.
I'm sure you can talk religious exemption up to a religious person.
Maybe you can be the one to change it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Same here. I'm sure you can find a good school that will accept te exemptions

Quoting ceckyl:

Honesty I would never reconsider vaccinating because a school wouldn't accept me. I'd go through hell and high water to keep that stuff out of my kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ria7
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Their is only 1 other school in town. It just sucks to have to send her there. Really never imagined this happening. She only 16 months so it doesn't matter now but I guess I just can't wrap my mind around her not being able to go the school we've always gone to.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I would also suggest calling the school and telling them if they ever change their policy to please call you and let you know.  

Maybe, if more parents call in and let them know they would send their kids if they could, they would reconsider their decision down the road.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)