Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

let's count the blatant lies and fearmongering

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 288 Total Views
http://croup-cough.info/difference-between-croup-and-whooping-cough/

Croup and whooping cough are both infections that are common in children and it is a common misconception in most people that both are the same. Many people use both the terms interchangeably but it's worth noting that they are indeed different. The thing is that its not very easy for a lay man to tell the difference without an examination i.e. only by analyzing the symptoms. Before talking about the difference, it is better to know the symptoms of both.

Both coughs are characterized by very harsh sounding coughing, often accompanied by wheezing in the chest or noisy breath. Croup is due to a viral infection that results in the inflammation of the windpipe tissue. The narrowing of the windpipe results in a tight and barky sound to the cough. Since it is viral infection there isn't any proper vaccination against it. Whooping cough on the other hand is a bacterial infection caused by the Pertussis bacteria. Whooping is characterized by continuous coughing till the lungs are emptied and then inhalation with a 'whoop' sound or gasp. This is where the primary difference can be noticed between the two: the sound. Croup is hoarse seal-like bark whereas whooping cough has a high pitched gasping sound.

Plus most kids show mild symptoms of croup. Whooping is much worse, and very painful. Very severe croup can sound like that, but it's rare. Very young infants often don't do the whoop. Instead they just stop breathing and turn blue, which is dangerous. Another thing that is common in whooping cough is that bouts of cough may end in vomits, which doesn't happen in croup.

The good thing is that there is a vaccination available for Pertussis - the DTAP vaccine - which drastically reduces the chances of getting the infection. So if your little one got the DTAP shot, the probability of whooping is very low. But if you haven't got him the DTAP, you need to be worried. In any case, if there is fever, you definitely need to go see a doctor. Croup is not as dangerous as whooping, which can and has killed many little innocents. Please if you have a doubt, consult a doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM
One that stands out is " Since it is viral infection there isn't any proper vaccination against it"

How many vaccines are against viral infections? Lots flu, hep a, hep b, chicken pox, mmr, rotavirus
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liliem
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

This is the one that stands out the most to me and makes me smh: The good thing is that there is a vaccination available for Pertussis - the DTAP vaccine - which drastically reduces the chances of getting the infection. 

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Yeah, good thing there's a vaccine that had been preteen to cause SIDS and autism.
Even the manufacturer says so.
Please don't let your child catch a cough cured by antibiotics.
Please risk death by padding big pharma's pocket book.

Quoting liliem:

This is the one that stands out the most to me and makes me smh: The good thing is that there is a vaccination available for Pertussis - the DTAP vaccine - which drastically reduces the chances of getting the infection. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Um - it really isn't that hard to tell the difference between the two.  Granted, I didn't know my kids had whooping cough at first, but I NEVER even had a glimmer of a thought that it was croup.  TOTALLY different!!

And while a "whoop" might occur, I think it is a minor percentage (less the 50%) that actually whoop.  If I remember correctly, about a 1/3 of cases get the whoop.  Only one of my five whooped.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I think my almost 3 year old has it now.  We saw the on call not the normal dr and vax status was never mentioned.  They told us he has croup but I've never head croup sound like this.  They gave us an antibiodic and steroid script.  I didn't fill either yet.  I've been pushing fluids and vitamin C and he is completely normal between coughing spells and even those are starting to let up. 

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
starbuck75
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Agree. They say since the Croup is viral there isn't any vaccine for it. There are lots of vaccines produced which claim to prevent viruses. Just as they throw antibiotics to try to fight every little bacteria - and what happened with that? Now we have resistant strains so that the regular antibiotics don't always work anymore. What do you suppose we shall get from the over-vaccinating of children and adults? Get ready for super viruses...they are actually already around.
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM
We're creating problems. More money for big pharma

Quoting starbuck75:

Agree. They say since the Croup is viral there isn't any vaccine for it. There are lots of vaccines produced which claim to prevent viruses. Just as they throw antibiotics to try to fight every little bacteria - and what happened with that? Now we have resistant strains so that the regular antibiotics don't always work anymore. What do you suppose we shall get from the over-vaccinating of children and adults? Get ready for super viruses...they are actually already around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Would you believe I had a nurse tell me that croup was not contagious?  Sure... tell that to my daughter who caught it from my son.  Or the doctor she worked for that told me it was lol

Sorry, that was a total side note.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)