Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog bite

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 164 Total Views
My daughter was bitten on the nose tonight by a family member's small chihuahua. We're visiting from out of town. It is small, on the bridge of her nose & it is surrounded by small puncture marks from it's tiny teeth.
Its the punctures that worry me.
Thankfully I had some alcohol pads in my purse, so I used four of them
to clean it off, thoroughly.

I know to watch for swelling or warmth ofthe area... But I don't want to take her in to a doc if it's not necessary.
I know they'll throw antibiotics at her, even withoutsign of an infection, not to mention the insistence of a tetnus shot.

Any advice or tips? Anything else I should watch out for?

It's been about 4 hours & all is well. She's bathed & it's scanned over at the scratch/puncture marks. I'm just curious about delayed signs/symptoms I may not know or think about.

Anyone else have this happen? Am I freaking out for nothing?
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jlee4249
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

BUMP!

Elijahsmommy9
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

You are doing it right. Keep it clean and keep an eye out for infection. Cat bites are the nasty ones with their needle teeth and bacteria. She will probably be ok. Hope she is ok mentally, it's scary getting bitten! I work at a kennel/ doggie daycare and have had a few bites myself. 

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM
It's not a tetanus risk, but it it's an infection risk.
I'd want antibiotics. I've seen untreated animal bites. Some patients were admitted bc the developed cellulitis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I would clean it with hydrogen peroxide.

If It's a puncture wound you want it to heal from the inside out, not scab over. So infection doesn't get trapped inside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Tea tree oil will kill any and all infections, a small drop on the area will clean it out. It does not sting either.

I hope she's ok, that can be so scary for kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Topaz99
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM
My daughter got bit by a dog on her face when she was 2. I took her to the er because I thought she might need stitches. It turned out she didn't need them and the cut was cleaned there. They never even mentioned giving her a tetanus shot. As long as it doesn't start to look infected I'm sure it will be fine. Also, if you see a Dr. About a dog bite a report has to be filed with animal control and the dog will have to be quarantined.
elfwolfe
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I am currently nursing a cat bite. I have also been bitten by dogs as well (job risk I take by being a groomer), I will tell you this- it is better to let it ooz than for it to scab over. As long as it oozes, the infection (if any) will drain but if it scabs over then the infection is trapped and it can get bad. I make sure to clean it with hydrogen peroxide and dress it with neosporin and a nonstick gauz pad. I watch how red and angry it looks, and after two days of it being covered I allow it to air out for an hour or two, gradually increasing the airing time each day and watching it. Part of the reason I keep it wrapped is because of my job so I don't get hair and dirt in it as it would certainly become infected.

The only bite I have been to the ER for was a dog bite last year which I feared hit a tendon and the dog was reported according to state law (this was the second time I had encountered the dog and the owner ignored the advice I gave her then, so when I got bit it was the only way to wake her up how dangerous she made the 2 dogs by not socializing them and keeping them in her backyard with no human contact). 

I have been bitten by cats, dogs, lizards, snakes, an eel, birds, a rat, a hamster, a horse, and a rabbit..... Call me crazy, but I'm an animal lover. The only one that is mine who bit me is the eel.

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000), (Snoopy)

It's funny how dogs and cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn't it?
Eleanor H. Porter (1868 - 1920), Pollyanna, 1912

Maybe coming clean is the ultimate selfish act. A way to absolve yourself by hurting someone who doesn't deserve to be hurt. Cindy Chupack, Sex and the City, Don't Ask, Don't Tell, 2000

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)