Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When looking for a new Dr....

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 152 Total Views
After 8 years, our Pediatrician has notified me that she will be retiring in the next year. She says she told me before her other patients because of my 8 year old's disabilities, she wanted to give us plenty of time to find a new Dr for him and his younger brother. While she was not 100% behind us not vaccinating my youngest and gave us a lecture sometimes, she has been tolerant of our decision for the most part. The private insurance that my oldest has has a very limited amount of Pediatricians and Family Drs covered under it. I'm 99% sure the Pediatricians on the policy will not take my boys because the oldest is not up to date and the youngest is not vaccinated. So, I need to know a "script" when I'm calling these places. What to ask. How to word it? Knowing that I'm probably only talking to the front desk person. I'm so unsure how to call around and ask if they will take my children so any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I call other places and see if they would accept his private insurance even if they are not on the website as a provider? The closest one on the Drs list who accept non-vaccinating is almost 2 hours a way from us, so that isn't an option.
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Is there any way you can say it's medical bc of the disabilities that you don't vaccinate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levsenmommy
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Our state allows for Medical and Religious Exemptions. I tried to get our Ped to do a medical exemption for them because they have a chromosome abnormality and she wouldn't do it since there is no proof that vaccines caused my oldest to have such severe issues. We have a Religious exemption for my youngest's school. My oldest is homeschooled. So, to answer your question, I don't see saying it is medical working. I just have to figure out how to call the clinics and ask if they will take my kids or not.
Quoting kitty8199:

Is there any way you can say it's medical bc of the disabilities that you don't vaccinate?

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM
I'd see of maybe the new Dr would do a medical. Explain what you think caused it. Maybe they'll agree. Bring up studies (printed) about chromosomal disorders with vaccines.

Quoting levsenmommy:

Our state allows for Medical and Religious Exemptions. I tried to get our Ped to do a medical exemption for them because they have a chromosome abnormality and she wouldn't do it since there is no proof that vaccines caused my oldest to have such severe issues. We have a Religious exemption for my youngest's school. My oldest is homeschooled. So, to answer your question, I don't see saying it is medical working. I just have to figure out how to call the clinics and ask if they will take my kids or not.

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I would start with your current ped, ask her if she knows of any peds who'd be willing to see you that are covered. You can also consider a pcp, from what I understand they're generally more open to unvaxxed kids.

If these don't work, just explain your situation when calling "Is this office accepting new patients?.... My oldest is permanently damaged from vaccines, so we have discontinued giving our children any, are you willing to accept them?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Quoting jellyphish:

I would start with your current ped, ask her if she knows of any peds who'd be willing to see you that are covered. You can also consider a pcp, from what I understand they're generally more open to unvaxxed kids.

If these don't work, just explain your situation when calling "Is this office accepting new patients?.... My oldest is permanently damaged from vaccines, so we have discontinued giving our children any, are you willing to accept them?"

I agree.  Your old pedi should refer you to another one who will take you on without a fight.  Ask her to do this for you...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)