Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rabies

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 248 Total Views

I don't understand why they vaccinate every pet regardless of circumstance. Indoor only cats don't need anything IMO.  But yet required by law they get rabies. Ummm...

Does Big Pharma pad thier pocket too? I can only imagine. I am going to try and get away with not injecting anymore into my cats.

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetangie79
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM

We don't do any of our animals at all.

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM

My sister shows and breeds dogs.  Recently a gal she shows against lost a puppy due to vaccine reactions--a third person lost an entire litter.  Both ladies had the same lot number on their vaccine. These are thousand dollar pups, and the ladies are MAD.  Seems they're persuing Merck for damages...Let's see what happens... 

emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:56 AM

i don't vax my cats for the very reason you describe..they're indoor cats, with no chance of contracting anything. 

Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Can you BE reported for not doing rabies?

Quoting emmy526:

i don't vax my cats for the very reason you describe..they're indoor cats, with no chance of contracting anything. 

twogirl91
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM

The vet my mom took our cats to growing up said indoor cats don't really need to be vaxed. I also got a dog for free because he had a vaccine reaction where his skin came off his back and he had a scar down it. The vet only gave him selective vaccines because of that.

emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM

i guess so if someone wanted to go that far over the issue.  How would they know, other than telling people the cats aren't vaxed?  and even then, what's animal control really going to do?  Come over and tell you the cat has to be vaxed, and then when he returns to see the certificate, just tell him the cat died or ran away-how will he know otherwise?

Quoting Baby4us09:

Quoting emmy526:

HiNeedNiki
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Well I had a hell of a time adopting a new dog because my old dog -- who died 2 years prior, mind you -- was not up to date at the time of her death. I was furious! What, am I supposed to make sure she got her rabies booster right before she got put to sleep? Like that wasn't hard enough for me? They also told me I couldn't adopt until my indoor cat was up to date as well. I tried several places. So that's one annoying reason to have to get them shots, depending who you're adopting from and what state you live in. I'm in Philadelphia, PA.
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Wow, that is terrible. Why would that dogs medical records affect how you are a pet parent to one you are trying to adopt? I think sometimes organizations nit pick. I can see if they check into if you were ever called on for animal abuse or anything of the sort but really vaccines?

Quoting HiNeedNiki:

Well I had a hell of a time adopting a new dog because my old dog -- who died 2 years prior, mind you -- was not up to date at the time of her death. I was furious! What, am I supposed to make sure she got her rabies booster right before she got put to sleep? Like that wasn't hard enough for me? They also told me I couldn't adopt until my indoor cat was up to date as well. I tried several places. So that's one annoying reason to have to get them shots, depending who you're adopting from and what state you live in. I'm in Philadelphia, PA.

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I haven't taken my cat to the vet in several years, so he hasn't had vaccines in a long time. We recently adopted a dog, and they asked about the cat's vaccine status. It didn't even occur to me that they never brought it up when we adopted the dog. YAY! I still need to do the research on the dog vaccines, though. I'm not planning to get any except rabies and maybe parvo. We'll see.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM
If the animal bites someone. All they will do is quarantine it.
Cops have bigger thing to deal with.

Quoting Baby4us09:

Quoting emmy526:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)