Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am pregnant and due in November and December

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 27 Replies
  • 573 Total Views

How do you tell the medical staff you don't want the vitamin K shot for your baby? I hate fighting for my rights. I already have the excuse for the hepatitis B. But I am also worried because I dont have insurance. This kid was not really planned. It was a oops in the heat of the moment. I dont want welfare hounding me on vaccines. How do I tell my ob no to vaccines and the flu shot for myself? I just want to prepare for this. I dont want to get bashed but I do get insurance on some months with my husband's job and some months I dont. We never have medical insurance at the end of the year.

by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on May. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be telling them it's against my beliefs...welfare is not allowed to harrass you either. 

Allinorder
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I cannot believe I am admitting this. I wanted to go on Wic too. When I had my youngest they nagged me on vaccinations. I told them its against my religion. They said what church do you go to? Our church isnt against vaccinations. I cant vaccinate anymore of my kids. My oldest will be forever ruined by them.

Quoting emmy526:

I'd be telling them it's against my beliefs...welfare is not allowed to harrass you either. 

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
First, it's illegal for anyone to question your religious beliefs/church attendance. Report them and try again.

Second, I suggest you look into state insurance. Even if they question you, so what? Say no, it's against your religious beliefs, and close the topic.

Third. If you go to a hospital (you'll definitely want insurance for that!) they'll have waivers to sign. Ask for them before you go into labor so you can read them before you sign them.

Make a birth plan and give it to your ob/mw before labor, and take multiple copies for the staff when you give birth.

Not all states and ins co will pester you. Here I checked the no box when asked "up to date on vaccines?" and was never questioned or pestered at all, it never came up. That was for state ins.

Don't let fear of what others think stop you. If you choose not to vax you're going to come into adversity somewhere along the way, and you'll need to be strong and confident enough to deal with it.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allinorder
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I cannot believe I am even worried about this stuff. I dont want to risk another child of mine to get vaccine injured. I dont question people's beliefs but for some reason in the medical profession and with welfare they seem the need too.

Quoting jellyphish:

First, it's illegal for anyone to question your religious beliefs/church attendance. Report them and try again.

Second, I suggest you look into state insurance. Even if they question you, so what? Say no, it's against your religious beliefs, and close the topic.

Third. If you go to a hospital (you'll definitely want insurance for that!) they'll have waivers to sign. Ask for them before you go into labor so you can read them before you sign them.

Make a birth plan and give it to your ob/mw before labor, and take multiple copies for the staff when you give birth.

Not all states and ins co will pester you. Here I checked the no box when asked "up to date on vaccines?" and was never questioned or pestered at all, it never came up. That was for state ins.

Don't let fear of what others think stop you. If you choose not to vax you're going to come into adversity somewhere along the way, and you'll need to be strong and confident enough to deal with it.

Good luck!

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Another option is to forego an OB office  and just use a midwife....

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

And from now on, simply tell any medical pro that is it against the Constitution to question you about your church or beliefs, as it is a violation of your rights

Allinorder
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I want to but I was high risk with 2 out of my three pregnancies. I wanted to do a homebirth if it was possible. The labor pain never bothered me until the pitocin set in and that was very painful for me.

Quoting emmy526:

Another option is to forego an OB office  and just use a midwife....

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

My DS2 had a severe reaction to the Vitamin K shot and developed polycythemia (essentially thick blood) and was put into NICU for a little less than a week.  The risk is simply too great for me to do it again...

An alternative to the shot are the oral drops of Vitamin K.  Or you can bump up your Vitamin K intake before the birth.

The hospital I ended up birthing at didn't have the drops, so double check with yours before you get to L&D, as you can purchase some online and take with you to give under the table if you feel it's necessary.

Allinorder
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I dont understand why babies cant clot? I never researched it though. Its beyond me that with my older kids I never looked this stuff up. I think humans are fine the way they are and dont need all these extra things in them.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

My DS2 had a severe reaction to the Vitamin K shot and developed polycythemia (essentially thick blood) and was put into NICU for a little less than a week.  The risk is simply too great for me to do it again...

An alternative to the shot are the oral drops of Vitamin K.  Or you can bump up your Vitamin K intake before the birth.

The hospital I ended up birthing at didn't have the drops, so double check with yours before you get to L&D, as you can purchase some online and take with you to give under the table if you feel it's necessary.

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My DS clotted TOOOOO much after the shot, and when they did the heel prick it was like black tar they milked out...

Yeah, the shot gives the babies something like 2000% more Vitamin K than an adult human has.  :(

Quoting Allinorder:

I dont understand why babies cant clot? I never researched it though. Its beyond me that with my older kids I never looked this stuff up. I think humans are fine the way they are and dont need all these extra things in them.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN