Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I said "no" to vaccines...

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM
  • 29 Replies
  • 459 Total Views
1 mom liked this

The admitting nurse said "Your son is due for his first vaccines, so I'll be giving them after your appointment today."

I said, "No, thank you.  You won't be giving any shots today."

So as our appointment with the CPNP was coming to an end, she brought up the issue with vaccines and asked me what changed from my last son (fully vaxxed to 18 months) and this son (now 4 months).  I said that I felt this baby is a lot more sensitive than my first and I wasn't going to risk injecting him with ANYTHING.  She said she understood my feelings, as DS2 had a traumatic beginning thanks to the Vitamin K shot, but she hoped I would take time to think about getting vaccines--particularly as Pertussis was so prevalent in our area.  She said that vaccines are a wonderful thing, but it's too bad all the adjuvents are there.  A "necessary evil" she called them.

So it went as well as could be expected.  We'll see if she pushes them at our next well-child check, though!

by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Glad she didn't.give you too hard of a time. Will you switch docs of she does?
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Quoting Baby4us09:

We're in a small community, and I'd have to drive 75 miles if I wanted to go to another practice.  And I DO really like this gal.  She says she supports my choices for alternative medicines, and she a great breast-feeding advocate.  She gives out her personal home and cell phone to all of her clients, and we can call anytime with pressing concerns.

That said, if she did give me a hard time I wouldn't hesitate to switch to someone new.  Or probably the easiest thing would be to simply skip future well-baby exams.  (Why do they need to examine a "well baby" at all?!)

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM

the main purpose of WBV is to give vaccines, and establish a growth pattern, and check for abnormalities...you can establish your own growth pattern at home,  check for signs of problems if you know what to look for, and then call the dr if you have concerns

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Baby4us09:

We're in a small community, and I'd have to drive 75 miles if I wanted to go to another practice.  And I DO really like this gal.  She says she supports my choices for alternative medicines, and she a great breast-feeding advocate.  She gives out her personal home and cell phone to all of her clients, and we can call anytime with pressing concerns.

That said, if she did give me a hard time I wouldn't hesitate to switch to someone new.  Or probably the easiest thing would be to simply skip future well-baby exams.  (Why do they need to examine a "well baby" at all?!)

Liz132
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

That went pretty well. I hate how they have the attitude of telling you "so I'll be giving them" I think they should ask, not demand and tell about the risks as well as the "benefits." That's not just your doctor they all tend to do that, I just wish things were different.

twogirl91
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't take my kids to Well visits, I can check their growth just fine on my own. If they are really sick and need a doctor's care, that's when I take them in. It makes it much easier to not have to fight about getting my kids their vaccines or not.

Liz132
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting twogirl91:

I don't take my kids to Well visits, I can check their growth just fine on my own. If they are really sick and need a doctor's care, that's when I take them in. It makes it much easier to not have to fight about getting my kids their vaccines or not.

Same here, I don't find the well baby "vaccine" visits worth it. I do take them to a yearly physical.

tansyflower
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

my naturopath said that the only issue i really had to look for in my (boy) baby was to make sure his testicles decend by age one if i wasnt going to do well check ups.  if you have any palpation skills at all you should be able to feel both testes quite easily.  other than that i always had my chiro check out my kids for alighment and joint issues and rarely take them to the dr.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM
What happened with the vit k shot?
Liz132
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM

How do you like going to a naturopath? I have been thinking about finding one for our family. We go to a family practice doctor right now and they are fine but I think I would like going somewhere that promotes natural health and healing better.

Quoting tansyflower:

my naturopath said that the only issue i really had to look for in my (boy) baby was to make sure his testicles decend by age one if i wasnt going to do well check ups.  if you have any palpation skills at all you should be able to feel both testes quite easily.  other than that i always had my chiro check out my kids for alighment and joint issues and rarely take them to the dr.

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Quoting tansyflower:

This is actually one of the reasons I HATE taking my boys to well-childs visits.  They were both born with decended testicles.  It was established at the first post-partum check-up.  Yet everytime we go, their testicles get palpatated again--even though it is visually obvious that they are descended. 

At my recent visit, I told the CPNP that I was uncomfortable with the repeated palpatations, and she seemed taken aback.  She explained that she also checked the pulse in the groin.  I told her I appreciated her doing a thorough job, but we'd be opting out of the palpatation in future visits.

So now I'm likely seen as the militant mom who is refusing vaccinations and "diaper" checks.  Ugg...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)