Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I said "no" to vaccines...

Posted by   + Show Post

The admitting nurse said "Your son is due for his first vaccines, so I'll be giving them after your appointment today."

I said, "No, thank you.  You won't be giving any shots today."

So as our appointment with the CPNP was coming to an end, she brought up the issue with vaccines and asked me what changed from my last son (fully vaxxed to 18 months) and this son (now 4 months).  I said that I felt this baby is a lot more sensitive than my first and I wasn't going to risk injecting him with ANYTHING.  She said she understood my feelings, as DS2 had a traumatic beginning thanks to the Vitamin K shot, but she hoped I would take time to think about getting vaccines--particularly as Pertussis was so prevalent in our area.  She said that vaccines are a wonderful thing, but it's too bad all the adjuvents are there.  A "necessary evil" she called them.

So it went as well as could be expected.  We'll see if she pushes them at our next well-child check, though!

by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (21-29):
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

I don't understand why they didn't flood him with fluids to thin out his blood tight away?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

This decision was outside the scope of expertise of the Pediatricians--thus they wanted him transferred to Primary Children's.  But it took a conversation with a gal 400 miles away to talk them out of this rather extreme decision.  (Perhaps this is where my dislike for modern medicin REALLY turned?)

Once he was transferred to NICU instead it was certainly an option, but a blood transfusion's benefits have to outweigh the risks.  We likely would have done it if DS took a turn for the worse, but the "wait and see" option worked as good as can be expected for us.  I guess Polycythemia is like jaundice (which he also had!) in that you simply observe and test daily to make sure that if it's not improving, at least it isn't getting worse.

The gave fluids to him through his central line to keep him hydrated, and he left the hospital in less than a week weighing more than he did at birth.  :)

kailu1835
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Not blood transfusion, IV fluids. Maybe mixed with a little coumadin or heparin.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting kailu1835:

I don't understand why they didn't flood him with fluids to thin out his blood tight away?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

This decision was outside the scope of expertise of the Pediatricians--thus they wanted him transferred to Primary Children's.  But it took a conversation with a gal 400 miles away to talk them out of this rather extreme decision.  (Perhaps this is where my dislike for modern medicin REALLY turned?)

Once he was transferred to NICU instead it was certainly an option, but a blood transfusion's benefits have to outweigh the risks.  We likely would have done it if DS took a turn for the worse, but the "wait and see" option worked as good as can be expected for us.  I guess Polycythemia is like jaundice (which he also had!) in that you simply observe and test daily to make sure that if it's not improving, at least it isn't getting worse.

The gave fluids to him through his central line to keep him hydrated, and he left the hospital in less than a week weighing more than he did at birth.  :)

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

the dr confirmed an adverse reaction to the medication for me..my son i just took him off of it, as he seemed like he didn't need it

Quoting kailu1835:

Allergy?

Quoting emmy526:

i  woulddn't fill singulair either, as my son had a reaction to it-made him agressive and violent...in me, it gave me a rash, and i bruised VERY easily, even just scratching an itch...i think it's a horrid medication

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Both boys had something going on this time, and it just coincided to good timing for a well-child visit.  DS2 had enlarged lymph nodes at the base of his skull that I wanted looked at, and DS1 had a rash on the back of his knees.

They were scheduled for a ND visit in another month, and I didn't think it should wait.  DS1's rash turned out to be eczema and he was also diagnosed with seasonal allergies.  DS2's lymph nodes were confirmed to be nothing to worry about.  I'll get the ND's opinion about seasonal allergies next month, as I'm not going to fill the Singulair prescription written by the CPNP...  (They're not very severe).

Quoting tansyflower:

really?  EVERY visit?  my ped never did that, just checked once (on my oldest) and that was that.  my youngest has only been in a few times in his life so i just checked myself.  i personally think its a bit overkill to do it every couple weeks/months but obviously i dont take my kids in on a regular basis anyway.

is there a reason you are taking your baby in?  otherwise i would just skip it.  i use my chiro and naturopath for WAY more stuff than i do my md!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting tansyflower:

my naturopath said that the only issue i really had to look for in my (boy) baby was to make sure his testicles decend by age one if i wasnt going to do well check ups.  if you have any palpation skills at all you should be able to feel both testes quite easily.  other than that i always had my chiro check out my kids for alighment and joint issues and rarely take them to the dr.

This is actually one of the reasons I HATE taking my boys to well-childs visits.  They were both born with decended testicles.  It was established at the first post-partum check-up.  Yet everytime we go, their testicles get palpatated again--even though it is visually obvious that they are descended. 

At my recent visit, I told the CPNP that I was uncomfortable with the repeated palpatations, and she seemed taken aback.  She explained that she also checked the pulse in the groin.  I told her I appreciated her doing a thorough job, but we'd be opting out of the palpatation in future visits.

So now I'm likely seen as the militant mom who is refusing vaccinations and "diaper" checks.  Ugg...

kailu1835
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Oh, ok. I can't take anything with Sudafed in it because it gives me massive headaches and horrid mood swings.

Quoting emmy526:

the dr confirmed an adverse reaction to the medication for me..my son i just took him off of it, as he seemed like he didn't need it

Quoting kailu1835:

Allergy?

Quoting emmy526:

i  woulddn't fill singulair either, as my son had a reaction to it-made him agressive and violent...in me, it gave me a rash, and i bruised VERY easily, even just scratching an itch...i think it's a horrid medication

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Both boys had something going on this time, and it just coincided to good timing for a well-child visit.  DS2 had enlarged lymph nodes at the base of his skull that I wanted looked at, and DS1 had a rash on the back of his knees.

They were scheduled for a ND visit in another month, and I didn't think it should wait.  DS1's rash turned out to be eczema and he was also diagnosed with seasonal allergies.  DS2's lymph nodes were confirmed to be nothing to worry about.  I'll get the ND's opinion about seasonal allergies next month, as I'm not going to fill the Singulair prescription written by the CPNP...  (They're not very severe).

Quoting tansyflower:

really?  EVERY visit?  my ped never did that, just checked once (on my oldest) and that was that.  my youngest has only been in a few times in his life so i just checked myself.  i personally think its a bit overkill to do it every couple weeks/months but obviously i dont take my kids in on a regular basis anyway.

is there a reason you are taking your baby in?  otherwise i would just skip it.  i use my chiro and naturopath for WAY more stuff than i do my md!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting tansyflower:

my naturopath said that the only issue i really had to look for in my (boy) baby was to make sure his testicles decend by age one if i wasnt going to do well check ups.  if you have any palpation skills at all you should be able to feel both testes quite easily.  other than that i always had my chiro check out my kids for alighment and joint issues and rarely take them to the dr.

This is actually one of the reasons I HATE taking my boys to well-childs visits.  They were both born with decended testicles.  It was established at the first post-partum check-up.  Yet everytime we go, their testicles get palpatated again--even though it is visually obvious that they are descended. 

At my recent visit, I told the CPNP that I was uncomfortable with the repeated palpatations, and she seemed taken aback.  She explained that she also checked the pulse in the groin.  I told her I appreciated her doing a thorough job, but we'd be opting out of the palpatation in future visits.

So now I'm likely seen as the militant mom who is refusing vaccinations and "diaper" checks.  Ugg...

lalaboosh
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Your poor son, and your poor family! I felt sick and weak reading this, I can't imagine if this were actually happening to my own child!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting ceckyl:

What happened with the vit k shot?

DH and I allowed the Vitamin K shot to be given at DS2's birth.

It triggered something in his system, and his blood became as thick as black tar.  When they did the heel prick, nothing would come out, even if they "milked" it.  So they decided to do a blood draw, and they couldn't even pull the syringe because it was so thick.

The pediatricians were bumbling idiots, completely at a loss of what to do.  They wanted to send him to Primary Children's.  I phoned up the CPNP from back home and she convinced them to take my son to NICU instead of transferring to another hospital.  At NICU he was diagnosed with Polycythemia--essentially thick blood--and had to stay in the ICU until it resolved itself.  They had to insert a "central line" into his belly button in order to draw blood, as it was too thick to get any other way...

The initial pediatricians were horrid and put my child through hell trying to "diagnose" what was going on.  They blew out veins in both hands and legs and even his head (!) with prophylactic antibiotics.  They even attempted a spinal tap--and failed.

Needless to say, we won't be giving Vitamin K with any future children!

AudlyLuvly
by New Member on May. 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM
My doctor just asked me. My son (4 mo) fell asleep on the table, she didn't want to disturb him and asked if his testicles had decended (which they have). I like my doctor, though she also pushed protusis shot... and I have to remind her we don't do vaccines every visit.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting tansyflower:

starbuck75
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I said NO to thimerosal containing vaccines and the pediatrician lied to me aobut the ingredients and gave them anyway.  My son changed immediatly and lost all speech and decended into a world fo chronic illness.  His medical care has broken us and stolen away our life savings and then some.  We are deeply in debt due to his meedical issues.  We found out after the fact that you cannot sue anyone over vaccine damage or death.  We filed with VAERS and that is a JOKE.  There were so  many of us claiming autism that hey jsut went to the Supreme Court and had them blow us all off.  DO NOT allow this nightmare to happen to your family.  Please pray for mine.

sfmommy415
by New Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Way to go mommy for standing up for your child and what you feel is best. I do not vaccinated my 2 kids, I wish I could have done the same for my oldest son, he is 6 & doesn't live w/ me. He lives w/ his father & that family is all for vaccines & doing the right thing. I don't mean to scare the mommies here but me & my husband blame the series of vaccines given to our daughter for her loss of speech and developmental delays. She a child on the spectrum. We along w/ our family members noticed some things were not right w/ her. Prior to receiving those shots she spoke a # of words and after me & her father didn't hear her speak anym0re :'(
She attends a school for spacial needs children called Lynn Center. I live in the Bay Area of California and we Californians are compassionate about these things. I tip my hat to you mommy, stand your ground always. I Switched doctors because my family practice doc at the time told me that if I didn't vax I'd be sorry if my daughter passed away because I chose not to. Don't you know I went off on his ass. HOW DARE HE, THE NERVE OF THIS GUY.
.sp4rkl3z.
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Only in America do doctors mess with foreskin and testicles...

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting tansyflower:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)