Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eczema + Smallpox Vax = Possible Death

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 303 Total Views

OK, OK, I know that Wikipedia is not the best source of information, but here's what it says about eczema and the smallpox vaccination:

Those with eczema should not get the smallpox vaccination due to risk of developing eczema vaccinatum, a potentially severe and sometimes fatal complication.[14]

DS1 was diagnosed with eczema last week, so here's another reason NOT to vaccinate, right?! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Smallpox is not a disease that is vaccinated for anymore, but vaccines do contribute to eczema. No telling what problems vaccinating may have further caused your ds, so yay for no vaxing! :)

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM

i have heard that too, years ago before internet and wiki

mjrex87
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM

DD has eczema so I decided to look that up. And OMG I found this....

1) No child with atopic eczema or other skin disorder should be vaccinated. 2) No child should be vaccinated if any member of his family has eczema or other skin disorder. 3) Parents of children with eczema should be notified at the onset of the disease of the danger from vaccination contact. 4) If a sibling of a child with atopic eczema is vaccinated, he must be completely separated from that child for at least 21 days. 5) Forms used by state and local health departments for parents' consent to vaccination should include an appropriate warning of the contraindications. 6) Eczema vaccinatum should be a reportable disease. 7) Patients recently vaccinated must be excluded from pediatric wards containing patients with atopic eczema, other diseases of the skin, burns or healing surgical incisions. 8) Vaccination may be recommended at 2 months of age, especially for babies from strongly allergic families.

Umm...Why is that not common knowledge??? It seems pretty important to me! 

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Can you pass on a link to the source?  Very interesting!

Quoting mjrex87:

1) No child with atopic eczema or other skin disorder should be vaccinated. 2) No child should be vaccinated if any member of his family has eczema or other skin disorder. 3) Parents of children with eczema should be notified at the onset of the disease of the danger from vaccination contact. 4) If a sibling of a child with atopic eczema is vaccinated, he must be completely separated from that child for at least 21 days. 5) Forms used by state and local health departments for parents' consent to vaccination should include an appropriate warning of the contraindications. 6) Eczema vaccinatum should be a reportable disease. 7) Patients recently vaccinated must be excluded from pediatric wards containing patients with atopic eczema, other diseases of the skin, burns or healing surgical incisions. 8) Vaccination may be recommended at 2 months of age, especially for babies from strongly allergic families.

mjrex87
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Oh duh, I thought I did! Sorry, here it is:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/22/2/259

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Can you pass on a link to the source?  Very interesting!

Quoting mjrex87:

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Too bad it's a pay-per-view article, right?! 

In noticed that the article was submitted into 1957.  I wonder what has changed in the vaccines since then, and if it seen as a concern today.

Quoting mjrex87:

kitty8199
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I posted that on fb and the only response i got was about the copyright date.
My cousin has horrible eczema and her son does. He's vaccinated. On schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM
They do in the military still don't they? Don't they get everything?

Quoting Ichthus:

Smallpox is not a disease that is vaccinated for anymore, but vaccines do contribute to eczema. No telling what problems vaccinating may have further caused your ds, so yay for no vaxing! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on May. 14, 2013 at 6:12 AM

yes, they do...there was a case of vaccinia smallpox not long ago in cali... a vaxed sailor gave smallpox to another person after vaccination

Quoting kitty8199:

They do in the military still don't they? Don't they get everything?

Quoting Ichthus:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN