Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi Ladies,

I've heard a lot lately about flouride being bad and that it's been banned in every country except the US. I've just heard it from family and friends, never actually seen an article or anything. Does anyone know more about this? We currently use flouride free toothpaste (Tom's of Maine) and drink spring water (Ice Mountain) but my 6.5 yr old has an appt for a cleaning tomorrow and I'm worried about the possibility of flouride. 

Thanks for any advice. Sorry it's off topic but you guys always know a lot about stuff like this!   :)

by on May. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-14):
mommyofone123
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Our water here is brown with stuff floating in it. We've called the city and water dept many times and they always assure us the water is safe to drink. We have "boil water" warnings all the time and they recently found a bunch of bird feces in the water tower where there was a hole in the top of the tank. We called the state water dept and they also assured us that our town "meets requirements" on our water. We drink bottled water, or buy gallons of spring water. At Wal-Mart it's less than $1 per gallon. If we had decent water we would probably drink it. I'm not sure, but I think the flouride level is way lower in tap water than when they do the treatment at the dentist. But the under the sink filter that someone else mentioned sounds like a good idea. :) 

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

We have flouride in our tap water and that is all we drink. I can't really afford to buy 20 gallons of water a week. What would you do in that case?

notjstanothrmom
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Our water is clear and tastes good. We literally primarily drink water. I have THREE water pitchers in my fridge, that is how much water we drink, there is nothing else in there but milk.

Quoting mommyofone123:

Our water here is brown with stuff floating in it. We've called the city and water dept many times and they always assure us the water is safe to drink. We have "boil water" warnings all the time and they recently found a bunch of bird feces in the water tower where there was a hole in the top of the tank. We called the state water dept and they also assured us that our town "meets requirements" on our water. We drink bottled water, or buy gallons of spring water. At Wal-Mart it's less than $1 per gallon. If we had decent water we would probably drink it. I'm not sure, but I think the flouride level is way lower in tap water than when they do the treatment at the dentist. But the under the sink filter that someone else mentioned sounds like a good idea. :) 

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

We have flouride in our tap water and that is all we drink. I can't really afford to buy 20 gallons of water a week. What would you do in that case?

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I bought a reverse osmosis water filter. There is flouride in our water. The only problem is it removes everything, including the minerals that we need. There's definitely a taste difference, though. I also requested our dentist use flouride free toothpaste for our cleanings as well as not doing the flouride treatment. They recorded it in our charts. One tech even asked why we don't do flouride. I told her it's a neurotoxin, and I suggested she research it. Don't know if she ever did. Amazing what people don't know who actually work in the industry! Guess the same goes for vaccines.

ZoeyBethsMomma
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Yes, it isn't for all of the water that comes out of the tap, you can just use it when you want drinking water. It installs into one of the spots where you might have a sprayer attachment or soap dispenser thing in your sink.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Is there a way to turn it off? We also use our sink for our portable washer which I use multiple times a week.

Quoting ZoeyBethsMomma:

We also have flouridated water here. You can get an under-sink 2 stage filter for about $169 (with shipping) at www.crystalquest.com. You have to replace the filter cartridges yearly (or maybe less for the flouride cartridge). We had one at our old house and I wanted to bring it with when we moved last year but hubby refused. I just bought another one and need to get my dad to install it. We drink a ton of water, and I feel better about it removing the flouride and heavy metals, etc. I also refuse the flouride treatments at the dentist, etc. Flouride is a neurotoxin!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN