Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anything to watch out for at 12mo well visit?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 262 Total Views
My DD's 12mo well visit is tomorrow with a new doc at an office we've been to. The nurse who made the appointment said it was a physical. My husband says not to worry, but I still do. I've become quite confident refusing vaccination, but since Sophia's my first I'm not sure if there are other things coming up to watch out for. Mainly, I think, I'm wondering about the TB test. Will they suggest it? Should I decline? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on May. 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

if they suggest, ask a reason why, since your child is at no risk for Tb..unless you've been to a high risk area for tb, there really is no reason for it.  Is she starting daycare and do they require it by law?  And, if/when the subject of vaccines comes up, simply say you are a nonvaccinating family at this time (or whatever reason).. If dr continues to push the issue, again, calmly say you'll be the first to be in touch with him should you have any questions, but for now, you are declining.  If the dr actually gets rude with you, simply pick your dd up, and walk out the door.  

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I don't think they'll want tb. They may want to draw her blood and check for iron amd other things. I actually allow this, but with 1 yo they just did a toe prick. They did a full needle draw with my first though, I'm not sure why they did it differently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Ok thanks. I've heard some docs do it at this visit. She's not starting daycare and nothing in our daily life is changing. I appreciate your input.

Quoting emmy526:

if they suggest, ask a reason why, since your child is at no risk for Tb..unless you've been to a high risk area for tb, there really is no reason for it.  Is she starting daycare and do they require it by law?  And, if/when the subject of vaccines comes up, simply say you are a nonvaccinating family at this time (or whatever reason).. If dr continues to push the issue, again, calmly say you'll be the first to be in touch with him should you have any questions, but for now, you are declining.  If the dr actually gets rude with you, simply pick your dd up, and walk out the door.  

themissheather
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM
You know it never occurred to me that they would draw blood. That makes sense though that they would. It is strange they did it differently. Maybe they just found a more efficient way?

Quoting jellyphish:

I don't think they'll want tb. They may want to draw her blood and check for iron amd other things. I actually allow this, but with 1 yo they just did a toe prick. They did a full needle draw with my first though, I'm not sure why they did it differently.
snowangel1979
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Besides the vaccine issue, usually they want to do a blood draw to check iron,lead and a couple other things.
Personally, since we do and have always lived in older homes, I allowed my children to be drawn.

I've never had a doctor ask for a tb test yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Thank you.

Quoting snowangel1979:

Besides the vaccine issue, usually they want to do a blood draw to check iron,lead and a couple other things.

Personally, since we do and have always lived in older homes, I allowed my children to be drawn.

I've never had a doctor ask for a tb test yet.
.sp4rkl3z.
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Good luck. Dread well baby checks because I hate our doctor. Difficult to be choosy with the kids' insurance. Limits who we can go to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM
I have a similar problem. They won't pay for consultation visits, limit when I can switch, question me on it, and the GPs on our plan aren't accepting new patients. So, I'm stuck blindly choosing between a handful of pedis. I'd like to pay an NP for office visits, but since it's out of network the insurance won't even honor the referrals if we were to need one. Ugh

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.:

Good luck. Dread well baby checks because I hate our doctor. Difficult to be choosy with the kids' insurance. Limits who we can go to
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I asked the nurse at DS1's 2 year well-child check-up about the lead test, and she said that it is normally done with a fingerprick at this age.  She said that the test is just as reliable, and it causes less trauma in the little ones than doing a blood draw...

They made no mention of a TB test at his 12, 18 or 24 month visit...

Quoting themissheather:

You know it never occurred to me that they would draw blood. That makes sense though that they would. It is strange they did it differently. Maybe they just found a more efficient way?

Quoting jellyphish:

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I think the prick test versus the blood draw depends on what they are testing for.  With my DD, she only needed the iron so that is all that was taken with a prick test.  My DS needed an iron, lead, and a few other things so he had a blood draw. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)