Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Surgery with out a tetanus shot

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 393 Total Views

My 2 yro has never been vaced and never want to change that. He has to have surgery and I am sure they will want to push a tetnus shot because of this. Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle them or info to tell them that he doesnt ahve to have it to have the surgery.

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have what you're looking for, so here's a bump

But if they push it, I would ask them if they are planning on using dirty, potentially contaminated surgical tools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Three of My four kids have had surgery without ever having had a tetanus shot.....and, it makes no sense whatsoever...does the hospital have tetanus 'floating around'?   Do their instruments not get sterilized properly, leading to exposure to manure containing tetani spores?   Those are just some of the questions i'd be asking if they insisted on a tetanus shot....I also told med staff  vaxing is against our religion, and no harassment took place. I'd be telling that dr you're more worried about him acquiring MRSA or other hospital acquired illness, not a disease such as tetanus, which is most likely and should be nonexistant in a hospital setting. 

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

You will be seeing a dentist, correct?  Or will you be seeing Kotlow?  Why not contact them ahead of time to learn their standard procedures...  No need to worry yourself unnecessarily!  :)

Godspitgrl
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Quoting GoodyBrook:

You will be seeing a dentist, correct?  Or will you be seeing Kotlow?  Why not contact them ahead of time to learn their standard procedures...  No need to worry yourself unnecessarily!  :)

Dr Kotlow. As silly as it sounds I didn't think of that I just know its always asked when I have had a surgery. I will do that.
PEEK05
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I had two c-sections without being up to date on my tetanus shot. They never even asked about it.

GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Quoting PEEK05:

I had two c-sections without being up to date on my tetanus shot. They never even asked about it.

Now that you mention it, they didn't inquire about my status either... Maybe it's something they're (rightfully) not concerned about?

Godspitgrl
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth and arthroscopy they asked and when I had a boil drain they asked and "required it" if you had not had it in three years.
Magnolia7
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM
They just like to update vaccines anytime you're admitted. It's a stat thing for the hospital.
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Quoting Magnolia7:

They just like to update vaccines anytime you're admitted. It's a stat thing for the hospital.

But they can't deny services if you refuse the update, right? 

Who do they report their statistics to?  Is funding dependant upon good vaccine stats?

Magnolia7
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I've never heard of them refusing on those grounds. Usually the facility has a patient bill of rights which says you have the right to refuse without repercussion. I can understand where they could refuse if it was essential. But a tetanus shot is not essential for surgery.
Federal government through medicare/medicaid does incentives for both patient and staff vaccination rates.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Magnolia7:

But they can't deny services if you refuse the update, right? 

Who do they report their statistics to?  Is funding dependant upon good vaccine stats?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN