Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help!

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 232 Total Views
1 mom liked this
My DD is 10 weeks old. DH and I rent a house with my sister and her DH. Their daughter is 10 months old and my sister's DS is due in October. My DD has not been vaccinated, no vitamin K, either, she did get the eye ointment though.

My concern is that my sister fully vaccinates. My niece hasn't had her vaccinations since my DD was born, but in September she will get her 12 month vaccinations and my nephew will have his in October. I know vaccines shed, but I don't know for how long. We don't have anywhere we can stay for however long shedding would last.

What can we do at home to lessen my DD's chances of catching something from my niece and nephew?
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Not all vaccines shed, if that eases your mind at all.
Just keep your babe healthy. Remember, we can't control who we are around all the time and we probably all unknowingly bump into freshly vaccinated kids all the time at play dates and whatnot. It's really not that big of a concern, IMO, if your babe is healthy, breast feeding, and fed well.

Extra steps you can take: breast feed and baby wear are the biggest things. You can make a massage oil with tea tree and lemon oils and rub it on her feet, I do this when I go places that are gross and crowded, like the airport. The oils fight infection and strengthen the immune system.
Once she's eating, you can feed her mangoes, which are full of vitamins a and c and are antiviral; and mushrooms which are loaded with vitamin d.

The worst thing you can do, again IMO, is surround her with chemicals like Lysol, these chemicals can't be processed by our bodies and weaken our immune system. If you want to use something, make a cleaning spray with essential oils and clean with that. EOs are great for disinfecting and strengthening the immune system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I was just thinking about this today... I'm glad you posted!

My DS2 is 6 months, unvaxxed and watched by my mother during the day.  DS1 is fully vaxxed and goes to a local lady who also watches about 5 other kids under the age of 7.  I was wondering if one of the other kids gets shots if I'd pull DS1 out of her care, so he doesn't bring something home to his unvaxxed little brother...

Curious to read the replies!!!

emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

i'd try to limit contact as much as possible, make sure the diaper changing area is sanitized, and make sure any toys that go in the mouth are kept separate, as well as..the rota virus can shed for up to three weeks, as can the MMR and MMRV vaccines.  The chances of getting rota could be higher than the rest, since it is a forceful vomiting/diarhea virus, and the vaccine has had issues with babies developing gut problems, and gerd, acid reflux, and irritable bowel syndrome.  If i were you, i'd start leaving info around the house about the vaccines, such as package inserts, and tell your sis you are concerned about YOUR child catching a vaccine available disease after her kids are vaxed.  If she can't understand the concept of shedding, take her to the pharmacist, where he can expain it to her in layman's terms.  Telling her to ask her dr about it moot, as the dr will most likely dismiss her concerns, and just tell her there is nothing to worry about.... you yourself, should also ask the pharmacist about it too.

lilypad12788
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I've talked to my sister about the vaccines, she didn't really want to do them anymore, but my BIL is so pig headed about them. He thinks I'm an ignorant hippy that researches way too much.

Quoting emmy526:

i'd try to limit contact as much as possible, make sure the diaper changing area is sanitized, and make sure any toys that go in the mouth are kept separate, as well as..the rota virus can shed for up to three weeks, as can the MMR and MMRV vaccines.  The chances of getting rota could be higher than the rest, since it is a forceful vomiting/diarhea virus, and the vaccine has had issues with babies developing gut problems, and gerd, acid reflux, and irritable bowel syndrome.  If i were you, i'd start leaving info around the house about the vaccines, such as package inserts, and tell your sis you are concerned about YOUR child catching a vaccine available disease after her kids are vaxed.  If she can't understand the concept of shedding, take her to the pharmacist, where he can expain it to her in layman's terms.  Telling her to ask her dr about it moot, as the dr will most likely dismiss her concerns, and just tell her there is nothing to worry about.... you yourself, should also ask the pharmacist about it too.

emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

i think i'd have to give a BIL like that a piece of my mind, beings as his actions could potentially negatively affect your children.   It's an issue I feel that strongly over.  It would be one thing if he were living in his own house with his own family, but there are others in the house to think about besides his opinion.  

Quoting lilypad12788:

I've talked to my sister about the vaccines, she didn't really want to do them anymore, but my BIL is so pig headed about them. He thinks I'm an ignorant hippy that researches way too much.

Quoting emmy526:

emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM

ask him these questions

Quiz: Four questions on infectious disease and vaccination in 20th century USA (Video)

1. According to the National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper Series, Changes in the Age Distribution of Mortality over the 20th Century (D. Cutler and E. Meara, 2001), what percentage of the United States population died from measles in the years immediately before the measles vaccination was introduced?

a) 30%
b)3%
c)0.03%
d)0.00003%

ANSWER: d) 0.00003% is the percentage of the US population who died from measles in the years immediately before the measles vaccination was introduced. (http://www.nber.org/papers/w8556.pdf)

2. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's, Achievements in Public Health (1900-1999), what were the major causes for the declines of infectious disease mortality in the 20th century, in order of importance?

© 2013 Nokia© 2013 Microsoft Corporation
USA
39.450000762939 ; -98.907997131348

a) vaccinations, nutrition, antibiotics

b) antibiotics, vaccinations, public health measures

c) nutrition, public health measures, antibiotics

d) vaccinations, antibiotics, nutrition

ANSWER: c) nutrition, public health measures, antibiotics

“Early in the 20th century, mortality declines resulted from public health and economic measures that improved peoples’ ability to withstand disease.” Source: NBER Working Paper Series, Changes in the Age Distribution of Mortality over the 20th Century, D. Cutler and E. Meara, 2001(http://www.nber.org/papers/w8556.pdf)

3. According to the NBER Working Paper Series, Changes in the Age Distribution of Mortality over the 20th Century (D. Cutler and E. Meara, 2001), what were the two major factors in decreasing infant mortality in the 20th century?

a) public health improvements and medical advances for low birth-weight babies
b) antibiotics and vaccinations
c) vaccinations and medical advances for low birth-weight babies
d) antibiotics and breastfeeding

ANSWER: a) public health improvements and medical advances for low birth-weight babies

“Between 1915 and 1960, post-neonatal mortality declined by 4.4 percent per year, compared to a 1.9 percent annual decline in neonatal mortality. Post-neonatal mortality is generally attributable to the infectious diseases . . . so this is consistent with the aggregate evidence on mortality change. Since 1960, however, most of the decline in infant mortality has been in neonatal mortality. In the 1960 to 1998 period, neonatal mortality declined by 3.5 percent annually, compared to 2.9 percent for post-neonatal mortality. Death in the first month of life is generally not a result of infectious disease. It is predominantly due to low birth weight and the adverse consequences of low birth weight for infant development.” (http://www.nber.org/papers/w8556.pdf)

Mass vaccination was not introduced until 1963.

4. According to the US National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics Reports (Vol. 59, No. 4, March 16, 2011), at the time vaccinations were introduced, where did infectious diseases rank as causes of death in the US?

a) 1
b) 3
c) 10
d) they were not in the top 10 causes of death in the US

ANSWER: d) they were not in the top 10 causes of death in the US

(See: Deaths by Major Causes, 1960–2005 athttp://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005124.html#ixzz2WztE51ko)

An Italian court recently ruled in favor of the Bocca family whose nine-year-old son became autistic after receiving the MMR (Measles/Mumps & Rubella) vaccine. See:http://www.examiner.com/article/us-media-blackout-court-rules-that-mmr-vaccine-caused-autism

Source: http://www.mamaeve.com/caring-for-baby-a-toddler/alternative-healthcare/how-much-do-you-know-about-vaccination/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN