Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bringing up the topic...

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 274 Total Views

I need help with bringing up the topic of vaccines with my brother. He and his gf are expecting a little girl in October. I have never talked to him about vaccines before so I don't even know where to start. Obviously I don't want to overwhelm him. I want to approach it as a concerned sister and future aunt. My mom supports my decision to not vax and she even bought The Vaccine Book for them, so that's a major plus. I just want to strongly encourage them to do the research and to hold off on vaccines until they've really done the research. I feel so strongly about it that I'm afraid of coming on too strong. Also, my brother's gf is an EMT and studying to be a nurse...so that makes me nervous to discuss the topic with them since most people in the medical field just automatically believe in vaccines... So I'm planning on just talking to him first. I just don't know how to bring up the topic and how much to say. Any advice would be helpful! TIA!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

boy, i know how you feel!! my SDIL is due in feb with her first, and this is a first for me...altho  i don't know her very well, i do know the stepson a little better..but i'm not sure what their stance is on mainstream medicine/media, and other topics of debate...i did send her an article about how eating poppy seeds during pregnancy can produce a positive result in a drug test, but i havent heard back from her.  As i'm writing this, maybe i should just have my husband bring it up with him instead to get a feel for where they stand on the issues.  

emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

here's an article i'm still tempted to send her

Why are we still injecting mercury into pregnant women, 

infants and children? A review of the thimerosal issue.

Lyn Redwood RN, MSN

Vicky DeBold RN, PhD

On July 7th, 1999 a joint statement was issued by the U.S. Public Health Service and the 

American Academy of Pediatrics which called for the immediate reduction and 

elimination of thimerosal from infant vaccines. While tremendous progress has been made 

in this area, it is very concerning to note that recent recommendations for pregnant women 

and infants regarding receipt of flu vaccine, much of which contains thimerosal, mercury

based preservative. Following the precautionary principal the Institute of Medicine in 

their October 2001 Immunization Safety Review on “Thimerosal-Containing Vaccines 

and Neurodevelopmental Disorders” Recommended that pregnant women, infants and 

children not receive vaccines preserved with thimerosal. 

In this article we will discuss the lack of adequate safety studies prior to marketing 

thimerosal as a vaccine preservative. The fact that thimerosal’s track record as a 

preservative documents toxicity and ineffectiveness. That mercury exposure resulting 

from thimerosal-containing vaccine administration results in mercury levels where 

adverse outcomes are documented to occur. Exposure to vaccine level thimerosal crosses 

the blood brain barrier and results in significant deposition of inorganic mercury in the 

brain. U.S policy is falling behind other countries on this important health issue and is not 

in keeping with the Institute of Medicine’s 2001 recommendations. And by not stating a 

preference for mercury-free vaccines, public confidence in the National Immunization 

Program is in jeopardy.

1. Lack of adequate safety studies prior to marketing thimerosal as a vaccine preservative

As part of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Modernization Act, an assessment of 

thimerosal use in vaccines was conducted from 1997 to 1999. The FDA investigation was 

unable to locate any clinical studies formally evaluating the use of thimerosal before its 

initial marketing in the 1930’s.2

The only study found was from 1931 where thimerosal 

was administered to individuals suffering from meningitis. The study was not designed to 

specifically examine toxicity; no clinical assessments were described nor were laboratory 

studies reported. “Merthiolate was injected intravenously into 22 persons…these large 

doses did not produce any anaphylactoid or shock symptoms.” In the paper, the authors 

acknowledge the clinician who treated the meningitis patients was not convinced of its 

efficacy stating “beneficial effects of the drug were not definitely proven.” Industry 

scientists noted in 1930 that a “wide range of toxicity and injury tests should be done.”3

There is no evidence that the scientists took their own advice and conducted studies to 

address these concerns. According to FDA’s own investigation, vaccine manufacturers 

were not required to evaluate thimerosal’s safety in animal studies prior to its introduction 

as a preservative in vaccines although federal regulations require formal submission of 

animal safety data for finWhy are we still injecting mercury into pregnant women, 

infants and children? A review of the thimerosal issue.

Lyn Redwood RN, MSN

Vicky DeBold RN, PhD

On July 7th, 1999 a joint statement was issued by the U.S. Public Health Service and the 

American Academy of Pediatrics which called for the immediate reduction and 

elimination of thimerosal from infant vaccines. While tremendous progress has been made 

in this area, it is very concerning to note that recent recommendations for pregnant women 

and infants regarding receipt of flu vaccine, much of which contains thimerosal, mercury

based preservative. Following the precautionary principal the Institute of Medicine in 

their October 2001 Immunization Safety Review on “Thimerosal-Containing Vaccines 

and Neurodevelopmental Disorders” Recommended that pregnant women, infants and 

children not receive vaccines preserved with thimerosal. 

In this article we will discuss the lack of adequate safety studies prior to marketing 

thimerosal as a vaccine preservative. The fact that thimerosal’s track record as a 

preservative documents toxicity and ineffectiveness. That mercury exposure resulting 

from thimerosal-containing vaccine administration results in mercury levels where 

adverse outcomes are documented to occur. Exposure to vaccine level thimerosal crosses 

the blood brain barrier and results in significant deposition of inorganic mercury in the 

brain. U.S policy is falling behind other countries on this important health issue and is not 

in keeping with the Institute of Medicine’s 2001 recommendations. And by not stating a 

preference for mercury-free vaccines, public confidence in the National Immunization 

Program is in jeopardy.

1. Lack of adequate safety studies prior to marketing thimerosal as a vaccine preservative

As part of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Modernization Act, an assessment of 

thimerosal use in vaccines was conducted from 1997 to 1999. The FDA investigation was 

unable to locate any clinical studies formally evaluating the use of thimerosal before its 

initial marketing in the 1930’s.2

The only study found was from 1931 where thimerosal 

was administered to individuals suffering from meningitis. The study was not designed to 

specifically examine toxicity; no clinical assessments were described nor were laboratory 

studies reported. “Merthiolate was injected intravenously into 22 persons…these large 

doses did not produce any anaphylactoid or shock symptoms.” In the paper, the authors 

acknowledge the clinician who treated the meningitis patients was not convinced of its 

efficacy stating “beneficial effects of the drug were not definitely proven.” Industry 

scientists noted in 1930 that a “wide range of toxicity and injury tests should be done.”3

There is no evidence that the scientists took their own advice and conducted studies to 

address these concerns. According to FDA’s own investigation, vaccine manufacturers 

were not required to evaluate thimerosal’s safety in animal studies prior to its introduction 

as a preservative in vaccines although federal regulations require formal submission of 

animal safety data for finished biological products, including active and inactive ingredients

continues in link

http://www.safeminds.org/protect-yourself/fludocuments/ACIP%20Letter%20AJN%20edits%207-06.pdf

snowangel1979
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe just get her a couple books or bring it up in a nice way.

I think with a lot of people (and especially hormonal pregnant women) you just need to put the thought in their head and let them do their own research.

Sending 100 different articles, bringing it up all the time or Pushing the issue often backfires. I think everyone wants to do what they think is best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole2884
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Personally I don't feel it's your place to
However as she gets closer toher due date you could ask her if she plans to it sounds like your mother handled it by giving them the book
mjrex87
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Yea, that's what I'm worried about. I'm hoping I can just convince them of the importance of researching before making the decision. They don't know that we don't vax, so I was thinking of just letting my brother know and why we chose not to (as simple an explanation as possible) and just seeing what the reaction is to that and let them think about it. 

Quoting snowangel1979:

Maybe just get her a couple books or bring it up in a nice way.

I think with a lot of people (and especially hormonal pregnant women) you just need to put the thought in their head and let them do their own research.

Sending 100 different articles, bringing it up all the time or Pushing the issue often backfires. I think everyone wants to do what they think is best.

mjrex87
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Well, I care about the health of my niece, and they don't know the truth about vaccines, so I do feel it's my place to encourage them to become educated on the topic. If I know something but don't say anything, what kind of aunt would I be?

Quoting nicole2884:

Personally I don't feel it's your place to
However as she gets closer toher due date you could ask her if she plans to it sounds like your mother handled it by giving them the book

baileyquarters
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I would start by giving them the information that most people don't know. Like that we're told there is no thimerasol in vaccines but that's not true. They're not legally required to report it if its under a certain amount. The hepB vax a newborn gets while still in the hospital includes it. I would also pull up the CDC list of ingredients. Some people only believe the CDC for some reason. Lastly I would have them look at how rare the diseases we're vaxing for actually are, and that most of them aren't even deadly. Oh, and look up the recall for the Rotovirus vax in the 90's. Many doctors administered it and parents trusted them and it had horrible deadly reactions and it had to be recalled. They reformulated it and started using it again in the 2000's.
wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM
3 moms liked this

ask if theyve gotten the gift from your mom yet, and if they say yes, just start from there. "you know, it was me who got my mom into the whole vaccine research thing. ive spent hours reading about the most intricate details of vaccination and the human immune system that i would even refuse a zombie vaccine if there was a zombie apocalypse."

im sure something like that would spark at least a "why?"  from one of them! let them come to you. this way, they will naturally be more receptive and attentive, since they are actively asking you. throwing information at people sometimes doesnt work. but if its family, theres a greater chance they will read random articles you leave them.

mjrex87
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I like that line!

Quoting wolfybaby:

ask if theyve gotten the gift from your mom yet, and if they say yes, just start from there. "you know, it was me who got my mom into the whole vaccine research thing. ive spent hours reading about the most intricate details of vaccination and the human immune system that i would even refuse a zombie vaccine if there was a zombie apocalypse."

im sure something like that would spark at least a "why?"  from one of them! let them come to you. this way, they will naturally be more receptive and attentive, since they are actively asking you. throwing information at people sometimes doesnt work. but if its family, theres a greater chance they will read random articles you leave them.

kmugs
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this

does your brother know you are non-vax?  

If he doesn't, you may want to spill a little teaser to get the conversation ball rolling and see where it goes.

The conversation starter i usually use is to fess up that my kids are unvaaxed for flu or chicken pox.  This does not cause anyone to run screaming, as those a fairly societally acceptable choices.  How he responds might give you a clue as to how/if to continue.  As this will be a newborn, I might open with "we did not give the Hep. B in hosptial - we felt he was too young, mom is hep. b negative and besides, hep.  b is primarily a sexually transmitted disease"

I  might also bring it up with your SIL.  In my opinion, women are usually a little more open minded about vaccines, and they are often the ones who make the medical decisions...so i would not neglect tlaking to her.  

I would definitely work exemptions into the discussion.  So many people still do not know that you can get an exemption and send your kids to public school.  

Good luck - and start small.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN