Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccine for Birds now????!!!

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:54 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 144 Total Views

Bird Vaccine for West Nile Virus

July 9, 2013 — University of British Columbia researchers have developed a vaccine that may halt the spread of West Nile Virus (WNV) among common and endangered bird species.

WNV, a mosquito borne pathogen, arrived in North America in 1999 and is now endemic across the continent. In 2012 alone, WNV killed 286 people in the United States, and 42 people have died from the virus in Canada since 2002. There is currently no effective vaccine against WNV infection in humans or birds.

Common birds such as crows, ravens and jays, and endangered species such as the Greater Sage-Grouse and the Eastern Loggerhead Shrike, are also susceptible to WNV infection, with mortality rates in some species and populations as high as 100 per cent.

"West Nile Virus has been identified as a threat contributing to the extinction of some rare bird species and its presence in common birds facilitates the spread of the disease," says Joanne Young , lead author of a study recently published inPLOS ONE and a PhD student in UBC's Michael Smith Laboratories and Department of Zoology. "A bird vaccine would go a long way to helping combat these adverse effects."

Young and Prof. Wilfred Jefferies developed and tested a vaccine made from components of WNV and found it generated an effective immune response in birds. This may protect against the spread of virus not only among birds but also to other species. The team will now study the vaccine's effectiveness in protecting birds against mortality caused by the disease.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130709094836.htm

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I thought i heard it all. Pretty soon gerbils and masters will get vaccines. Ugh
MommyO2-6631
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I didn't even want to read.... the title was dumb enough LOL. These vaccine companies will stop at nothing *eye roll*
jlc91
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My concern is how are they going to "vaccinate" all the birds in the wild.  Will they be spraying crap everywhere and if people just happen to inhale it, no harm no foul??!!

Liz132
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I don't know how that's going to work, my parakeets are only suppose to have organic food because they are so sensitive to chemicals, the pesticides from conventional food could easily kill them. I don't think little birds are going to survive whatever crap is in the bird vaccines.

Mincen
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Bird vaccines do exist, strangely enough! I raise chickens, and there are vaccines available for them. I don't vaccinate my chickens, but I do know people who have done so.

I also wonder how this WNV vaccine will work with wild birds. How in the world can they catch and vaccinate enough birds? Wait, I know--they'll just work on a human version, and add it to the schedule!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)