Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't get food stamps or medical for not vaccinating?!!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 723 Total Views
1 mom liked this

So I am going through a divorce and have just moved to California and am on food stamps and medical temporarily till I find a job.  I was given a paper to fill out that had two sections. the first section gave me the right to refuse vaccinating b/c of personal and/or religious beliefs if you don't fill that part out then you have to take the form to your doctor where they decide if the child is up to date on vaxes and then fill the form out and turn it in.  I filled out the first part of the form and turned it in.  I got it back and was told it had to be filled out by a doctor.  I called and asked them why when I refused vaxes based on personal belief.  they asked if my daughter had any vaxes and I said she had some when she was little but doesn't now b/c I don't believe in vaxing anymore.  They said that if she were a brand new infant and I had never before vaxed then I could claim that!  Then they had the audacity to ask me "so your religion just recently changed?" to which I replied "no I personally don't believe in them anymore which I'm allowed to by law"  they are still making me see the doctor and they said if I refuse them that my aid could be taken away?  How is this legal and what can I do??  I know I don't have money for a lawyer, but could a lawyer help my cause?  

ETA: I also told them "so your going to deny me aid even though by law I have the right to refuse vaxes?"  and they didn't really know if I'd be denied so they said that it would go through a special case and if they deny it I'll be denied.  Could that equal a lawsuit?  IDK I'm just fuming mad....it creeps me out that the gov is forcing poor people to have vaxes....wouldn't surprise me if it ever turns into genocide some day....just saying!

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM

i do know cali passed a law that says a parent has to be 'educated' about vaccines before the dr will sign off on a waiver...but the worker was way out of bounds asking personal questions about your religion..she had NO right to do that whatsoever..also sounds like she delighted in fearmongering those who need aid, simply because it's assumed the intelligence isn't there.  No, they cannot force you to give your dd vaccines, and if a denial is apparent because of it,  you still have the law on your side in regards to religious freedom and the right to choose which medical preventative you'd like your child to have or not have.  Personnally, i wouldn't have answered her question about your religion changing-it's none of her business, and religion has nothing to do with receiving PA or food stamps.   If you don't get any satisfactory answers about your aid, go above her head, and speak to a supervisor, and so on and so forth.     Keep a copy of the law with you as well.

emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Cali also did away with religious belief exemptions, and its now called, 'personal objection'

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/CtrldForms/pm286b.pdf

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Wow, Emmy is right, that worker violated laws just asking about your beliefs, clearly she knows nothing of what rights you have and what boundaries CA has. I highly doubt you'll be denied based on non vax status. Do you catch this workers name?
I would turn in a copy of CA law with your next forms and go from there.
GL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lilys_Mommy10
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM

0.o what bull.... I'm im cali and on assistance ATM and we've never had any problems. They just asked us to sigh a perjury statement saying that we don't vaccinate. I'm sorry you are having to deal with that, and I hope it all gets worked out for you. Maybe you could ask to talk to a lead worker? or a higher up? We may have never had troubles with the vax stuff...we have had other troubles and been told many times wrong info from the regular case workers or intake workers. Sometimes been told by 3 different people something we knew was wrong and then finally talked to someone higher up who actually knew the rules -_- Anyway, like I said, I hope it all works out for you. But I know in Cali, you can get away with not vaxxing and still get assistance, so I though I'd chime in even though I'm not of much help, lol.

On a side note....The word perjury makes it sound awful and like a lie :/

WldHrts
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Thanks ladies!  This is incredibly frustrating as I just need the aid and don't want to deal with their BS.  They told me that if she were a newborn and I had never vaxed then it would be a different story.  But b/c I had given her some vaxes that I have to go to a doctor still.  I just don't know what to do from here.  I already spoke to her supervisor and she gave me crap too.

mykidsmom5865
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I had an issue in Indiana with TANIF for not vaccinating.  My daughter has never been vaccinated, and they said we were being "sanctioned" for not getting her the "required vaccines".  I talked to the supervisor and told her it was against our religious beliefs to vaccinate, and the first ammendment of the constitution gives me the right to practice any religion I choose, so why does the Indiana department of family services think their rules are above the constitution?  The sanctions were removed and I have had no more problems.  Don't know if it will work for you but it's worth a try.

starbuck75
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
You will need to familiarize yourself with the exemption statutes in California, but if one has a n exemption, it is NOT tied to getting aid, and if someone tells you it is, then it becomes a civil rights issue and a discrimination issue. People can and DO change their religious beliefs over time. I was raised Catholic, but now I consider myself a Christian Interpretive Bible-ist. That is the term I came up with that I could think of that most closely fits with my faith and belief. I interpret the Bible in order to answer life's questions. I have a deep and abiding faith in God's word -- not in Man's. This is one site that can help you in defending your religious belief not to vaccinate: http://www.vaclib.org/links/religion.htm. There are many many others. Just Google "Bible versus against vaccination and pages will come up. I studied Catholic theology for thirteen years as I went to Catholic school and that is a requirement, and I learned NOTHING in those years of study that would point to vaccination being approved by God. The Catholic church has come out and stated that vaccines are manufactured unethically and that the faithful should resist and fight for ethical practices, but that Catholics are well within their right to refuse vaccines unless doing so would definitely put someone else at risk -- which no matter what they say - they cannot prove that any vaccine is responsible for ending an epidemic nor preventing one. Words means NOTHING, but it is amazing how many people take words as proof. The Bible is clear that our bodies are temples of God and we should not pollute them. Be careful because the Bible also states that we shouldn't eat certain animals nor the fat or blood of any animal, and certainly tobacco and illicit drugs (and probably prescription ones too) are all an abomination to God. But if one follows "The Makers Diet" one would most probably be very healthy. I have NO doubt that God is VERY angry about vaccines which contain aborted human fetal tissue. I highly doubt HE would approve of injecting mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, and antifreeze into anyone - let alone babies.They really are not supposed to question your religious/philosophical beliefs. If it were me - and I would be as angry as you - my next call would be to Office of Civil Rights. It wouldn't hurt to join the Civil Liberties Union either. This is an organization dedicated to protecting and defending civil rights under the Constitution. What you have experienced is the subversive medical dictatorship that has developed as a result of Thomas Jefferson and Dr. Benjamin Rush failing to win the addition of two very important additions to the Bill of Rights over two centuries ago. Thomas Jefferson wanted an amendment making monopolies illegal under the Constitution. Dr. Benjamin Rush wanted and amendment added to the Bill of Rights guaranteeing MEDICAL FREEDOM. They failed to have them added. Now we have corporations that have grown so large and so powerful that they dictate public policy which may well lead to our overall downfall. Furthermore, the reason you are being harassed is because we do not have the right of medical freedom. Jefferson and Rush are rolling in their graves! They saw the future and couldn't convince their colleagues! How sad for the rest of us! But it isn't too late. These amendments could still be added to the Bill of Rights and if they were we might be able to feel like "We the People" were again running this country. Do not let them intimidate you. You have the law which says you may claim and exemption and it is not tied to aid. Call the Office of Civil Rights and file a complaint. They will investigate. The American Civil Liberties Union may help also.
starbuck75
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM
http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/california.htm will give you information on the exemptions in California.
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Any luck
WldHrts
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this

sorry it took me so long to reply.  I took her to the doctor like they asked and had them fill out the paper and it said that she was missing vaccines and then I signed the part again stating that I refused them.  So far I haven't heard a word back from them...so maybe they accepted it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN