Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctors office sent a letter

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 495 Total Views

Hi mom's!

I am one mom who has pretty much been sheilding my kids from unnecessary vaccinations.

So I have not been taking my( to be) 6 month old to the peditrician  lately because they want to vaccinate. This is all the well check ups really are. I am against and wish to be respected for that and want no harm to my family because of my choice.  I already expressed concern with the doctor. By the way my baby is healthy and coming along just fine. Blessed that he doesn't need the close care of a doctor. Theres really not mych to do except go when he really has to. BTW, I am not a new mom,a mother of 9,I am experienced with children and rarely have they been sick even with colds. 

Apparently, because the peditrician  isn't seeing my child for vaccination,he decides to have his nurse compose a letter. 

Dear Parent

We have noticed --------------has not been seen yet at our office for his/her well child visit. We urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.

Compliance with appointments is very important to maintain health and ensure optimal care,failure to do so may be detrimental to your child's health and well being

Public aid recipients are required to comply with scheduled visits to maintain benefits. 

Thank You,

--------------MSN,APN,CPNP

blank stare

What do you feel about this letter? 

How would you handle this or would you?

Is what the nurse saying have any truth,any law to back this statement up? or just a tactic to put fear in the alleged ignorant misinformed parents?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I requested copies of my childrens' medical records and noticed  there is actually a place for them to record each time they try to contact a person about late vaccinations.  It's called "Most Recent Outreach." 

Since records are all computerized now, a notice will alert them when vaccines are "late," and they'll try to get ahold of parents.

I've no doubt that it is a scare tactic to try to make you bring your child into the office.  Each time you don't do a well-child check, they lose money, so it's really financially motivated.

Even if someone is on Medicaid, can they not choose which doctor(s) they want to visit?  Why can you not have more than one office involved in the health care of your children? 

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm on Medicaid and get reminders for vaccines and wbvs, but have not been threatened by loss of coverage. I've even been renewed. By daughter sees an nd so I pay out of pocket and Medicaid has no record of any visits. The most aggressive the state has gotten with me is a call by a live person asking if (not demanding that) I plan on taking her in and getting her shots.

That bit, as far as I can tell, is all lies. And I believe that, like public schools, one can not be denied Medicaid on the grounds of lack of vaccines or wbvs. Wbvs can not be forced because parents have the right to decide our own kids' health practices and procedures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM
...provided the children are not neglected or abused, of course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loriec
by New Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Right more money  for him,if we miss a appointment then we have to pay $25,the last  well child we had car trouble. I told them I would call them but never did as I were informed by the nurse at the desk that they wanted to do immunization.  

There's this dumb health care connect that choses a medical provider. But we took him to this particular doctor because 1. the peditrican were at  my babies hospital after birth. 2. his location is really close.

We don't feel he's the best choice but it's a limitation to who would see my baby or children because of their government medical benefits.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I requested copies of my childrens' medical records and noticed  there is actually a place for them to record each time they try to contact a person about late vaccinations.  It's called "Most Recent Outreach." 

Since records are all computerized now, a notice will alert them when vaccines are "late," and they'll try to get ahold of parents.

I've no doubt that it is a scare tactic to try to make you bring your child into the office.  Each time you don't do a well-child check, they lose money, so it's really financially motivated.

Even if someone is on Medicaid, can they not choose which doctor(s) they want to visit?  Why can you not have more than one office involved in the health care of your children? 

justme00
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
They just want the money. I would just toss the note find another Dr and be done with it.
emmy526
by New Owner on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

no, it was merely scare tactics to get you into their office...you might look for a family practitioner, as they are not nearly as pushy on the vax issue....

one mom i know, HAS to take her child to ALL WBV per her dh's insurance, or their rate goes up!!!  Hows that for manipulation and a guarantee both the ins co's and the dr will make money

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Here we are assigned a primary for each family member, but we are able to request a change. It's actually pretty simple. Are you able to change your kids' assigned primary?

Quoting loriec:

Right more money  for him,if we miss a appointment then we have to pay $25,the last  well child we had car trouble. I told them I would call them but never did as I were informed by the nurse at the desk that they wanted to do immunization.  

There's this dumb health care connect that choses a medical provider. But we took him to this particular doctor because 1. the peditrican were at  my babies hospital after birth. 2. his location is really close.

We don't feel he's the best choice but it's a limitation to who would see my baby or children because of their government medical benefits.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MacMamaof5
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I could have sworn...THEY were hired by YOU to take care of your family during times of illness.  BOY, have times changed.

emmy526
by New Owner on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM

now they get to tell parents how it's going to be, as well as the ins co's doing the same thing or face higher premeiums for not complying with ins regs--talk about collusion!!!

Quoting MacMamaof5:

I could have sworn...THEY were hired by YOU to take care of your family during times of illness.  BOY, have times changed.

MommyO2-6631
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
If you have state medical insurance, yes they can require well check ups. They cannot require vaccines though. Your doctors office on the other hand may. I would call their front desk (annonymously) and ask if they accept unvaccinated patients. Either they will say yes or no. If they say no move to another doctor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)