Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant women cite safety concerns for skipping flu vaccinations

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 129 Total Views

Pregnant women cite safety concerns for skipping flu vaccinations

Howland R. MMWR. 2013;62(43):854-857.

• November 1, 2013

Safety concerns significantly affect pregnant women’s decisions to receive recommended vaccinations, according to study results published in theMorbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

As a result of the emergence of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommended pregnant women receive both the pH1N1 vaccine and theannual seasonal vaccine to ensure protection.

Researchers surveyed 996 women who gave birth in Massachusetts from September 2009 to May 2010. The results indicated 67.5% of participants received the seasonal vaccine and 57.6% received the pH1N1 vaccine. Women who received a recommendation from their provider were more likely to receive the seasonal vaccine, 75.8% vs. 32.4%, and the pH1N1vaccine, 68.1% vs. 8.6%.

Safety was a prevalent reason cited for not receiving vaccinations. Of women who did not receive the seasonal vaccine, 43% reported they were worried about harm to their baby and 37.5% were worried about adverse effects to themselves. Of those who did not receive the pH1N1 vaccine, 52.8% were concerned about harm to their baby and 50.6% concerned about adverse effects to themselves.

“These findings can be used to encourage providers to recommend vaccination, address safety concerns, and engage community partners to increase vaccination acceptance in groups with low coverage,” study researcher Renata Howland, MPH, of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and colleagues concluded.

Disclosure: The researchers report no relevant financial disclosures.

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I just tell them no. If they don't like the answer , too bad. lol.  I have had to say no several times. Different appts at different medical facilities. It gets irritating. lol.

Im glad DH is denying his flu shot too :) hes done. Hes already sick as it is. I should tell him to tell them he already had the flu. :) Its for the ANG.

lovelyheaven271
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Thankfully my midwife never pressured me into any vaccinations with all of my pregnancies..  She knew where I stood on the subject and never pressed the issue. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN