Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tdap vaccine while pregnant

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 333 Total Views
What are your thoughts on this vaccine when preg? Thanks so much
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this
I think any vaccine (especially when pregnant) is not good.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Read the insert from the manufacturer.  Even they suggest pregnant women should NOT get any vaccines.

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

there is a forum in here on pregnancy and vaccines...there is also a forum on DTaP

sashy37
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I declined it. Thanks so much ladies.
BabyPink07
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Do you know the manufacture? I had to drop out of MRI school bc I refused a vaccine that doesn't work bc I'm pregnant. I'm already vaxed against diphtheria and tetanus and didn't see the point of getting dtap just for whooping cough.

Quoting micheledo:

Read the insert from the manufacturer.  Even they suggest pregnant women should NOT get any vaccines.

RoMigs
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't do it. There have not been any studies in pregnant women that prove it is safe. PS- I am a researcher in a pharma company and I write the labels and do the studies for different medications (including 1 vaccine in the past). It is not proven safe for the mother or the baby. 

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

what is your opinion of why drs are pushing it then on pregnant women?

Quoting RoMigs:

Don't do it. There have not been any studies in pregnant women that prove it is safe. PS- I am a researcher in a pharma company and I write the labels and do the studies for different medications (including 1 vaccine in the past). It is not proven safe for the mother or the baby. 

lovelyheaven271
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Glad you declined.  I think getting the tdap vaccine while pregnant puts you and your baby at higher risk of contracting pertussis.

RoMigs
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

The CDC is the one recommending the vax, and the docs go along with what the CDC says. When I pointed out to my mudwife that the label indicates it's only indicated in pregnant or BFing women, she was surprised. She never looked or paid attention I guess. I don't think a lot of doctors do actually read the labels (or the informed consents, which I also write). What made me look at the label was that the ICF said if there is a possibility to have a reaction to the ingredients. So I asked for the ingredient list. She was dumb-founded and didn't even know where to get it from. I had to go home and do my research and at my next appt. explain everything to her. 

sashy37
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Thanks so much for your support :). I am glad that I did decline. It frustrates me that thye offer vaccines to young children and preg women without doing much research to a drug.  Thanks so much again!

Quoting RoMigs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)