• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vanderbilt children's went better than expected

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 196 Total Views
I checked on my 3 month old last Monday morning from naptime, and he had a big seizure, blue lips but breathing (no crying) and I rushed him to the ER. He was air evac'ed to Children's at Vanderbilt. They ran all kinds of tests, asked a million questions. EEG for a few days and that sent him to pediatric ICU in case the 4 different meds to get the brain activity more normal might make him need temporary breathing assistance (didn't--thankfully!). MRI showed anoxic injury (lack of oxygen), but we'll probably never know if that was from the seizure or if it caused them. And no real answers anywhere (other than the DNA they're sending off to Baylor Univ?)

In all their questioning, I did have an attending physician with 6 residents in the room as I calmly explained why we don't vaccinate, expecting a lecture. We feel vax and similar prophylactic procedures are saying God's design was flawed. I don't mind informed treatments, but it's like giving antibiotics to everyone, just in case. They understood!! (Well, some of the residents, being fresh out of lots of school, were leery, but the attendings trust that we're protected by herd immunity--cough, cough--and said this had nothing to do with vpd's anyway.)

They were more concerned with us having skipped Vit K at birth, because he's still young enough that late developing vit k deficiency can happen, and his clotting factors were lower and we knew we were dealing with his brain. Funny thing is, the dose they gave him (I agreed to treatment after seeing numbers and reading online), was lower than the routine birth dose!

I only had to educate one RN (BSN student) about proper intact penis care and the next real nurse said she had no idea why the student bothered, as he wasn't even messy. And she wrote it specifically in his report to never retract, without me having to ask.

They offered me a pump before we needed it, and he had some ng feedings with breastmilk only. His discharge papers said, "Diet: Breastfeed your child as often as appropriate for his/her age." How cool, right!

8 days of craziness, but he's home now, nursing fine, and only on one lower dose medicine.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Wow, how scary!! Glad he's better!! It's also good not to get a lecture about something one considers benign, when their child is in the hospital searching for clues as to what is wrong.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)