Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really need help... DTAP, HIB and Prevnar (PCV)

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 239 Total Views
My pedi who is usually not vax friendly is recommending these 3 for our almost 10 month old for our Africa trip. I know we're not doing DTAP and will probably only get the tetanus vax. What I'm confused about is the other 2. Is Prevnar (PCV) mainly for strep? I can't figure out if the meningitis, blood infections, pneumonia and esr infections are what PCV is supposed to prevent or if they're possible side effects of contracting strep. Because if that's the case, HIB is specifically for meningitis, pneumonia and epiglottis.
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
emmy526
by New Owner on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Prevnar is known to cause serotype replacement, ear infections that cannot be controlled with antibiotics, and a host of other issues.  HOw rampant are diseases where you are going?

vcory
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:22 PM
I'm having a hard time finding info about the Prevnar diseases for South Africa and Mozambique. I do know that SA barely has anything since it's more developed country but MOZ is still pretty 3rd world. We'll be spending 6 weeks in SA and 3.5 in MOZ. Both places have children's homes on the bases so he will be interacting with African kids as well as the other school members who are almost all from the US or other developed countries. We aren't planning on allowing anyone to hold or really touch him when we're out and about (as much as we can prevent without offending). He is a blonde haired, blue eyed baby so I'm thinking he'll attract quite a lot of attention.

Quoting emmy526:

Prevnar is known to cause serotype replacement, ear infections that cannot be controlled with antibiotics, and a host of other issues.  HOw rampant are diseases where you are going?

emmy526
by New Owner on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM

i have read about many unvaxed American children going to africa and other countries without illness problems popping up.  Suppose you go ahead, give the vax, and an underlying adverse reaction happens over in africa? Will they know what to do? Will they deny correlation to the vaccine, or blame it from you 'being from another country'?   And, with that kind of combo vaccines, you really have no idea what will happen, (nor does the dr, since he is not a fortune teller, clairvoyant, or God) and, since no syngegistic studies have been done to determine safety of co-administering multiple vaccines at once.  If your child is happy, healthy, well adjusted, etc, etc, then try looking at this more rationally than emotionally. Yes, he could get a cold over there....or he  could get  nothing while everyone around him has something. Keep probiotics handy, Vit D and C, and don't stress!! Have fun!

Quoting vcory: I'm having a hard time finding info about the Prevnar diseases for South Africa and Mozambique. I do know that SA barely has anything since it's more developed country but MOZ is still pretty 3rd world. We'll be spending 6 weeks in SA and 3.5 in MOZ. Both places have children's homes on the bases so he will be interacting with African kids as well as the other school members who are almost all from the US or other developed countries. We aren't planning on allowing anyone to hold or really touch him when we're out and about (as much as we can prevent without offending). He is a blonde haired, blue eyed baby so I'm thinking he'll attract quite a lot of attention.
Quoting emmy526:

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

HIB is a normal gut flora.  Vaccinating against it can really screw up your child's gut.  My son reacted to this shot  and it caused Encephalitis in my son. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
vcory
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Good to know. I'm not wanting to get him anything, but we also don't want to be unwise taking him to a place where diseases are still very prevalent. I'm almost more scared of vaccinating though and the repercussions.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

HIB is a normal gut flora.  Vaccinating against it can really screw up your child's gut.  My son reacted to this shot  and it caused Encephalitis in my son. 

kryysteez
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Keep them PURE and you wont be searching for a CURE.  If his immune system has not been damaged by vaccines, he will be able to handle anything that comes his way, much easier, providing sugar is not consumed.  Sugar makes a weak immune system.  Good luck to you.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I would talk to an insurance agent about emergency insurance for the one month you are traveling.  It would be relatively inexpensive, but would cover the costs of 'rescuing/flying you out if something were to happen.

IMO that would be the better way to go.  I really believe most of the illness overseas is from poor health.  I would not be worried about my child, though I would have the emergency insurance as a back up if something serious happened.

vcory
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Yeah we're planning on travelers insurance. We don't have health insurance so we'll be starting a new plan.

Quoting micheledo:

I would talk to an insurance agent about emergency insurance for the one month you are traveling.  It would be relatively inexpensive, but would cover the costs of 'rescuing/flying you out if something were to happen.

IMO that would be the better way to go.  I really believe most of the illness overseas is from poor health.  I would not be worried about my child, though I would have the emergency insurance as a back up if something serious happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)